Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got around to hearing The Love Within. I may finally have a Bloc Party song I hate more than Mercury. The guitar work (it's not a synth) is sabotage.

Will I listen to Hymns? Sure. I liked Four quite a bit and I'm assuming that The Love Within is just a temporary bump in the road. But wow this is a horrendous first impression.

Last edited:
You should all listen to the live version of Exes I posted. It's a gorgeous song.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Finally got around to hearing The Love Within. I may finally have a Bloc Party song I hate more than Mercury. The guitar work (it's not a synth) is sabotage.

Will I listen to Hymns? Sure. I liked Four quite a bit and I'm assuming that The Love Within is just a temporary bump in the road. But wow this is a horrendous first impression.

I was gonna say at least Mercury has a pulse and rocks the fuck out, but I just listened back to it and yes it is quite a very bad song. Not even the horns can save it. I was clearly thinking of One Month Off.

I like this.

I saw them live a couple of days ago and it was a lot of fun. The hits were great of course. Silent Alarm is just one damn amazing album. They also played a bunch of new songs, including The Good News. It's definetely very different from their past stuff and The Good News isn't representative. The majority of the songs were pretty droney, repetitive with lots of synths.

Yeah it wasn't better live.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's streaming. The Love Within is the worst song at least. I don't think many people are going to like it. I think there are some decent songs on there but don't trust me, being a huge BP apologist. It sounds more like a Kele solo record than anything else. I don't think Russel Lissack had much influence. Different Drugs, Virtue and Exes are all pretty good.

PREMIERE: Stream Bloc Party's First Album In Four Years - 'HYMNS' | NOISEY

Alright, fuck it, I'm listening to this.

Why not bury The Love Within the way U2 did with Sexy Boots? It can't get worse, can it?

This isn't that bad but it's not great either. Doesn't sound like Bloc Party and Kele's vocals are really weak, but it's not a horrible batch of songs.

The stupid sound effect that ruined The Love Within returns on Virtue, but is thankfully absent elsewhere.

Wait, this opening song is the one you were all jumping off a bridge over?

Fuck...if that's the case, this might end up being my favorite album of the year. That song was awesome. You guys suck.

I mean, fair enough, there are definitely obnoxious parts to it, but the core of the song is really solid and I liked it a lot. The outro left a bit to be desired, but you gotta understand I was expecting basically the South Park Dubstep sounds to be coming out of my headphones the way people reacted.

One and a half listens so far and I like it. Some good tunes. A bit too downtempo for me on the whole, but Kele is still spitting strong melodies. "So Real" is an early standout.

I'm far from a big Bloc Party fan or anything (I didn't totally cobbler this, I listened to the last one and I've heard Silent Alarm). But this is pretty unlistenable. Dubstep may be my least favorite thing in terms of music, but in the dubsteppy parts I almost wished they'd just go all wub wub wub and get it done with. Everything else that I heard before I just shut it off was boring as hell.

Read something the other day that the effects on this album, including the dubsteppy stuff in "The Love Within", are all still played on electric guitar. Just with crazy pedals and stuff. That makes it cooler to me.

Guitars >>>>>>>> Computers

Also, "The Love Within" has really grown on me. I've found the chorus stuck in my head a lot over the last few days.

Listened to it. I think it's ok/so-so. It's not awful, but it's not really good either. It basically sounds like just a Kele solo album. Matt is sorely missed. The energy he brought to the band is just completely gone. And I understand that Russell is playing guitars to sound like synths, but the absence of the signature, angular guitar sound is jarring. It doesn't even sound like Bloc Party.

Those are just my thoughts. I see others are enjoying the album, so that makes me happy. For me, this is the weakest Bloc Party album. I can't see any of these songs sticking with me for the long haul. I really feel like this isn't even Bloc Party, just Kele running unchecked.

That being said, 'Different Drugs' was the song that caught my ear the most. And I don't hate 'The Love Within' as much as I've seen people saying. I think "The Nextwave Sessions" had worse songs on it. At least 'The Love Within' is catchy and upbeat.

I'm looking forward to seeing Matt drumming for Algiers at Coachella -- even though Algiers sound nothing like Bloc Party; it'll just be really good to see him drum again. :)

Since I've heard Kele solo albums, I have a hard time agreeing that this sounds like Kele unchecked.

Finally listened to the album. The Love Within has grown on me, too, in the sense that parts of it have got stuck in my head, but it is an objectively bad song. The synth blasts at halfway through and the end are astonishing. So not Bloc Party. Sounds more like Wow by Kylie Minogue. And then by the ninth song they are so bereft of ideas that they use it again.

The biggest issue is Kele. He's on some Chris Martin-type shit for most of this record. I remember some time again saying that it was Kele who set Bloc Party apart for me, with his vocals. And fitz was like, "it's the band around him that makes them". As in, like, he is made better by the band. Like how Rick Ross is at his best when he's rapping on a Kanye song. His vocals, once so urgent, are just a bore most of the time here. My True Name is the worst offender. My fucking god, what an awful, awful song. I mean the music is pretty okay, but Kele, jesus.

There is some good though. Totally with fitz, Different Drugs is pretty great, the one that caught my attention. Even though it's 99.9% the band, not Kele. The Good News is a straight rip of Beetlebum but as far as Blur ripoffs go (Kele even puts on Albarn affectations) it's a good one, the guitar in the choruses is great. Into the Earth has a bit of old Bloc Party about it. I was disappointed in Exes, I recall liking that older live version better.

The Deputy sent me footage of Bloc Party doing "Heroes" at SXSW and it sounded great.

Back
Top Bottom