Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I refuse to watch his videos.

Also, I enjoyed this album, but I am not quite done figuring out my feelings about it yet.

^I kind of feel the same. It's a bit like Nine Types of Light from last year in that it's all over the place and you've got ballads/softer songs being immediately followed by hard rocking songs.

So He Begins To Lie, Octopus, Day Four, V.A.L.I.S., Truth and The Healing are all good songs, Truth definitely being my favourite. Kettling has a great solo but the rest of it and 3x3, Coliseum and Team A are pretty forgettable.

Frustratingly the two bonus tracks, Mean and Leaf Skeleton, are both great. Get them if the copy you have doesn't have them.

nielsgov said:
Why? His reviews are mostly great though I wish he would review more well-known artists.

Yeah, I'm a fan of his. He is one of the few reviewers out there who gives you a clear impression of an album's sound rather than just waxing philosophical about it ad naseum.

Also, I need to hear this new Bloc Party album.

Yeah, I'm a fan of his. He is one of the few reviewers out there who gives you a clear impression of an album's sound rather than just waxing philosophical about it ad naseum.

Perhaps one major benefit of video reviews right here. Masturbatory speech is a lot less common than masturbatory writing. I too really like his reviews; they have personality, and they get to the point. He has awful taste in hip-hop, but all critics have blind spots.

The second listen wasn't unkind to Four. I like this album.

I also like the non-judgmental tone he has. Even when he assigns a negative grade, he almost always adds the qualifier that although he personally does not care for it, you might enjoy it if you like x or y.

iron yuppie said:

Also, I need to hear this new Bloc Party album.

This is very true. I think they just make me feel like a enormous nerd. I already am but his videos make me self-conscious of my own nerdiness. I think I'll just shut up. :lol:

I just find him annoying.

I find most people who stare into a webcam and talk at the internet to be annoying. Just puts me off.

Anyways, listened to this again today. It's definitely growing on me quickly.

Kettling, Day Four, V.A.L.I.S. and Truth especially are great great songs. I like Octopus more than I did at first and So He Begins to Lie is great. Really I think the only thing on it I don't like is 3x3 and whichever song sounds like some screamo song.

bono_212 said:
I find most people who stare into a webcam and talk at the internet to be annoying. Just puts me off.

Anyways, listened to this again today. It's definitely growing on me quickly.

Kettling, Day Four, V.A.L.I.S. and Truth especially are great great songs. I like Octopus more than I did at first and So He Begins to Lie is great. Really I think the only thing on it I don't like is 3x3 and whichever song sounds like some screamo song.

Staring into the camera talking, randomly echo-ing out certain words and that whole cal joke thing to make it look like you're not just a douche who stands in front of his camera espousing douchey opinions on music is possibly even more annoying than just standing in front of the camera. If I worked at a store that sold cameras, I'd probably get fired for looking at people and telling them, "no, you cannot buy this. You look like the type to set it up in your bedroom and make YouTube videos." Then I might tell them to go to the mall, or make them listen to walking on sunshine...or something.

Although I did watch his bloc party review video and the fact that he didn't think it was that amazing was the reason I bothered to check it out at all. I didn't go all cobbler, I actually have heard some bloc party before. And it was ok. But worlds busiest douche with a camera didn't like it too much, so I may just check it out. Pretty decent. But again, nothing I really care about hearing again. There seems to be a lot of that going on here, and I'm glad I don't make end of the year lists because I'd have to do three. Stuff I liked, stuff I hated, and stuff that was good but I didn't want to hear it again.

I listened to this on the way into work this morning but all it achieved was putting Plans in my head all day. Which I don't mind, cos its a great song.

IWasBored said:
If I worked at a store that sold cameras, I'd probably get fired for looking at people and telling them, "no, you cannot buy this. You look like the type to set it up in your bedroom and make YouTube videos."

:lol:

I still love Flux.

back-to-the-future222.png

I do to. Incidentally, I just listened to that album (A Weekend in the City). Still love it.

Some real bangers on here. Octopus and The Healing stood out to me on first listen, though the album as a whole seems a bit uneven.

Forgot to tell you guys that I saw their show in Seattle while on vacation. They fucking BLEW THE PLACE AWAY!!!! Amazing. I'm not sure I've ever seen them ROCK that hard. I was second on the rail and the mosh pit was insane! They pretty much stayed away from all their electronic stuff except for two songs. They even did 'Signs' non-electronic, non-xylophone -- just drums, bass, guitar and vocals. It was pretty awesome.

Around the middle, Matt said into his microphone that it was the best show of their tour, so far. Then, towards the end, Kele told a story of how playing Seattle that night was so great for them because, the last time they played Seattle was when (for all intents and purposes) they broke up. He said they got in a huge fight after the show and basically just agreed to finish out the tour and then break up. So, to be back in Seattle and have it be (as Matt said) the best show of the tour, really meant a lot to them.

Being the fanboy that I am, that story brought tears to my eyes.

So He Begins to Lie
3x3
Hunting for Witches
Positive Tension
Kettling
Waiting for the 7.18
Song for Clay (Disappear Here)
Banquet
Coliseum
Day Four
One More Chance
We Are Not Good People

Encore:
Signs
Ares
Flux
Helicopter

Encore 2:
Octopus
This Modern Love

Please tell me that We Are Not Good People is as good live as I imagine it to be.

It was insane! I think 'We're Not Good People' was around the time I got pushed off the rail and went a little farther back into the crowd. I'm old and couldn't compete with those youngins and their moshing.

Fantastic, amazing energy though. Definitely a show I will remember!

That's a pretty sweet set. The first four songs off Silent Alarm, This Modern Love, Flux, Waiting for the 7:18, most of the good tunes off the new one (no Truth?? damn). Still waiting for them to announce shows here.

Back
Top Bottom