Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:doh:
:lol:

I still think I would die seeing U2 and Elbow (not that that's been confirmed for the US so I may have to settle on seeing them with Coldplay), Bloc Party would just about do that too.

Why didn't someone mention they're on Letterman tonight?

Is it a rerun or something?

They played One Month Off, which is probably my favorite track from Intimacy. It wasn't the best performance I've ever seen. I'll leave it at that.

I love Kele to death, but he really doesn't have it when it comes to live chops. :(

Though, to be fair, it's just not Kele dragging this performance down - the guitars sounded really off and flat. :yikes:

I've watched a bunch of their television appearances on YouTube and they don't really seem to shine on "late night" shows. They sound great in concert, but on late night shows they always seem flat to me. :shrug:

Yeah, it was a pretty boring television performance. I've only seen them live once, during the Silent Alarm tour, and they were 100% stellar live. Were the new tracks enjoyable live in concert, was this pretty par for the Intimacy tracks, or was this just a bad performance?

I only saw one proper Intimacy tour show and then a multi-billed Holiday/Christmas show they played at. 'Halo' and 'One Month Off' didn't come off that great, but 'Signs' was absolutely GORGEOUS both times! :drool: 'Ares' was phenomenal and kick ass at the Intimacy tour show I saw. 'Mercury' is always great live. And 'Better Than Heaven' was really great at the Intimacy tour show.

Oddly enough, it's the Intimacy rockers that didn't fair well for me: Halo, Trojan Horse and One Month Off -- they just don't sound that great live. :shrug: Weird.

Edit: A Weekend In The City songs are f***ing AMAZING live! Every time! :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if all the effects are just too hard to integrate, and they have a hard time keeping up with everything. It kinda seemed that way last night.

I don't know. They may just also be a band that isn't good at playing just one song and "bringing it". They may need the hype and energy of a full concert behind them.

On the other hand, U2 can bring the house down by playing just one song.

Who knows? I feel bad though b/c their late-night TV show performances are really NOT indicative of how they are live; they're SO MUCH better.

I'm not a huge fan of all kinds of effects when it comes to rock bands, but it was pretty fun to see them trigger all the pedals/effects (this is what made Mercury fun live even when its lots of loops), the set up on the floor must be insane.

"One Month Off" and "Trojan Horse" sounded awesome last week by the way, maybe they've improved on them since last year.

I just love this band... the songs are amazing really.

by the way has anyone been to Bloc Party in Dresden on February 16? I was there..and yeah, they'd blown down the slaughterhause!!

hah... I still hope U2 take them on a tour as a support band.. now how great would that be!
btw does anyone remember...was it Adam who was talking about the new great band called Bloc Party back in 2004? I think it was him.. Heard it in some interview during the How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb promo tour.
In fact that's how I got to know Bloc Party back in 2004.. U2 talking about them back then..

:lol: My tone-deaf ass gave it my all on 'Banquet' at my best friend's karaoke party Saturday night. Did I mention I am so tone deaf!!!!! (No, I'm not posting the YouTube video of me singing it.) :lol:

So every time the topic of 'Banquet' comes up, my best friend always says it sounds just like Spandau Ballet's 'To Cut A Long Story Short'. Here's a side-by-side (or top-and-bottom) comparison. I think my friend's crazy on this one. Whaddya guys think????

YouTube - Bloc Party - Banquet

YouTube - Spandau Ballet - To Cut A Long Story Short

The idea of you NOT going to a Bloc Party show is frightening and disturbing, Fitz. I think you should go just to avoid freaking us all out.

Well, I didn't want to freak you all out . . . so I went. :wink:

I finally got my 'Ion Square'. :drool:

They were, of course, completely absofuckinglutely fantastic. That Hollywood crowd was off the friggin' hook. It was just insanely awesome. :rockon:

Sounds like a fun time.....unfortunately I still have not seen them live yet, it's just not fair.

I never understand why a lot of bands will play here when they're nobodies to huge crowds, and then WON'T come back to play when they're somebodies. I saw them on their initial US tour here, and it was packed. They haven't been back since. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom