Black Rebel Motorcycle Club anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
They just released an EP of leftover material from their Baby 81 album (which I can't stop listening to!) and I'm patiently waiting for it in the mail. Anyone else love this outstanding band?

I've given up on critics giving BRMC respect again after seeing them dismiss Howl, but I am surprised I haven't seem Baby 81 on more "music fan" year end lists. Weapon of Choice is easily one of the best singles of the year. Extremely solid and enjoyable album. I know a number of people who say this is their favorite album of theirs, and I couple others who didn't like them until they heard Baby 81. Good stuff.

I admittedly liked all the Howl Sessions EP's MUCH more than the Baby 81 Sessions EP. 'Mercy' is far and away one of their best tracks ever, how could they have not put it on an album?

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
'Mercy' is far and away one of their best tracks ever, how could they have not put it on an album?

I laughed out loud when I read this.... Especially on Interference. :wink: "Why wasn't Mercy on the album??" hahaha.

Howl is an amazing album, too. It reminds me of classic rock. It reminds me of Bob Dylan and George Harrison.

the tourist said:
I laughed out loud when I read this.... Especially on Interference. :wink: "Why wasn't Mercy on the album??" hahaha.

Same here! :lol:
That said, the only BRMC album I have is Howl and I think that's a great record. So now I'm interested in finding out more about those Howl session EPs. :hmm:

And Mercy... :D

the tourist said:

Sweet irony! I didn't even think of it, nice catch.

Look into their other albums as well, Marty. The self-titled "BRMC" album is my favorite, but IWB's fav is Take Them On On Your Own, and I have 3 or 4 friends who're split on saying either Howl or Baby 81 are their favorites. There's something for everyone in their catalog I guess.

I never really liked their Whatever Happened To My Rock & Roll. So I kinda dismissed their first album (and also their second which I understood to be more of the same, maybe a tad noisier). But when I heard one of their Howl songs on the radio I got interested. :)

I've never heard the full BRMC album. Just Love Burns. But I have the other 3, and the Howl sessions, and my copy of the Baby 81 sessions is on its way. Hopefully I'll get it before Christmas!

I love Berlin! I think 666 Conducer sounds a bit like When the Levee Breaks.

I'm planning on getting their first album soon, but I think I'll still like Baby 81 the best and Howl second.... Something about them--I don't know what, though. Just the songwriting in them.

Gotta love those slow blues.... Yeah, the Howl sessions. I really like Wishing Well from those sessions.

I did get Baby 81 for Christmas and dang, I LOVE this album. :heart: It's even better than I had expected. :up:

Bonochick said:
I did get Baby 81 for Christmas and dang, I LOVE this album. :heart: It's even better than I had expected. :up:

This is why it's their best so far!

'Mercy' is far and away one of their best tracks ever, how could they have not put it on an album?

I still listen to this song more than anything else they've done. Because of that 89.3 The Current vid Got Edge posted elsewhere this past week, I found this video. He plays the guitar part a little differently than normal in the intro, and there's some new stuff added at the end:

YouTube - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Mercy

As a side note, I read 'Howl' by Allen Ginsberg on the trip to Radiohead, purely because of the BRMC album. Now I have to read 'On the Road' because of the Hold Steady song....

A BRMC thread? Nice.

It's funny, I actually got into these guys about 4 or 5 years ago when I heard The Edge mention them as one of his favorite new bands in an interview.

I went out and bought the self-titled debut and Take Them On, On Your Own and I still love both albums. I didn't buy Howl or Baby 81 but I've heard tracks from both and it's quality stuff, for sure. That was an interesting shift in sound they made going from Take Them On to Howl, wasn't it?

Whatever Happened to My Rock and Roll, Stop, and Six Barrel Shotgun are a few of my favorites off the top of my head. And I'm Aching, too.

Howl and Baby 81 annihilate Take Them On, you should get the other two.

You really think so? It would be hard for those albums to top Take Them On for me. I love that album very much. And I've actually heard most of Howl and I know that I don't like it as much.

But, yeah, I should get Baby 81. And I will.

Also you mentioned you read the Ginsberg poem. Good shit, that's one of my favorite poems ever.

Back
Top Bottom