Black Hippy crew - Kendrick, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly how I felt. Terrific show, but come on. When/if he starts playing his own gigs to support the album proper, I'll be there.

That Kendrick performance is amazing. I'd pay a lot of money for a full gig like that. Hopefullly he's planning on touring with a full band like that and playing lots of TPAB.

what do you guys think of Jay Rock's album?

It's a good meat and potatoes rap album. Good rhymes and beats. I think he overdoes it a bit on beat changes and the hook on 90059 might be the worst of the year, but otherwise very good.

I listened to Jay Rock this afternoon, I have some thoughts on it but don't really have time to write a big long post so I'll do it tomorrow.

I also listened to TPAB this afternoon again at work, and on How Much a Dollar Cost in the chorus line "water, sun, and love" - that part where it descends into the words "and love"...that might be one of the greatest chords I've ever heard in all of music. I get chills every time I hear it. Holy fuck it's gorgeous.

Looks like Kendrick's starting to finally warm up. Playing a DC show with an orchestra and just announced the "1st annual" Kunta's Groove Sessions tour, eight shows in eight cities. Even if it doesn't quite make it here I'm still excited :hyper:

Bet you didn't spend $140 on one so shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Actually that's almost exactly how much he spent :grumpy:. But he's going solo, unfortunately. It's too rich for my blood, and I have to work anyways :sigh:. I'm sure it's going to be an incredible show.

I did end up buying two though, which was an enormous waste of money because it turns out that ticketmaster's resale selection is infinitely worse than stubhub's. I'll never use them again for that.

But yeah, I'm trying to unload a ticket. No luck so far. Even if I get what I'm asking for it, I lost out on $40 at least.

Last edited:
Kendrick was absolutely incredible tonight. One of the best shows I've ever seen and easily the best hip hop show I've ever seen. Two of the best albums of the decade performed skillfully by an excellent band and an MC at the top of his game with a crowd hanging on his every word.

There was a four minute WE GONNA BE ALRIGHT chant during the encore break that was incredible. That crowd treated Kenny like royalty.

Oh man, so happy to read that. I am hoping against hope against hope that he brings the same show to us.

Not sure how it could top Outkast, but that's a personal thing, I get that.

Alright seems to have become something of an anthem for the #BlackLivesMatter movement, so I'm not surprised.

The Outkast show was amazing as well, but hampered by extremely poor sports arena sound. Kendrick was in a 2,000 person venue in front of his home crowd. You can't ask for anything more as a fan. Imagine U2 playing in Dublin at a small amphitheatre in 1987 and you get an idea of how special this was for me.

Music Critic Top 10 Lists - Best Albums of 2015 - Metacritic

1st place finishes for TPAB: 21

Most 1st place finishes for any other album: 6

TO PIMP A BUTTERFLY ANOTHER CLASSIC CD

I was thinking about this the other day...considering the quality of Section 80, GKMC and TPAB, how much more does Kendrick need to do to be the best ever?

If the next one is the same or (holy mother of christ) even better, he's got a serious case at least.

If he were to retire young or die a tragic death like Big L, 2Pac or Biggie, he would instantly be in the discussion because that's how hip hop discourse goes. Luckily for us, I think we've got a lot of great music left to enjoy from Kendrick. If he can keep at this level for another few albums, he'll have a discography to match Outkast, Kanye, Tribe, De La Soul, The Roots, Ghostface, DOOM, etc.

From what I can see he's pretty hungry, which is a great sign. Just hope he doesn't get influenced by sales. I'd like to see him continue the path he's on, I think TPAB is by a fucking long way his best (and GKMC is still phenomenal)

So I had a bit of downtime at work today and decided to make good use of the firm's time and create a hypothetical playlist if Kendrick were to drop a Greatest Hits today.

1. Compton
2. King Kunta
3. HiiiPoWeR
4. Cut You Off
5. Bitch Don't Kill Yy Vibe
6. Alright
7. Ignorance is Bliss
8. ADHD
9. Money Trees
10. Control (Big Sean ft. Kendrick Lamar & Jay Electronica)
11. Swimming Pools (Drank) (Extended Version)
12. Hood Politics
13. These Walls
14. Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst
15. Rigamortis
16. The Blacker the Berry

Terrible?

Back
Top Bottom