Black Hippy crew - Kendrick, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am ready to declare To Pimp a Butterfly better than good kid, m.A.A.d city. I just had an absolutely tremendous listen to it. There's nothing even approaching a bad song. It flows impeccably well, and some of the transitions are just incredibly strong, in particular Hood Politics > How Much a Dollar Cost and Complexion > The Blacker the Berry. There are moments that make tears well up in my eyes, like How Much a Dollar Cost, the very ending of Mortal Man, even the dark finish to the final verse of Blacker the Berry is so intense it can make me well up a bit. Just a truly brilliant album.

I've listened to both albums back to back a few times over the past few days and I agree that TPAB is the better of the two. GKMC has a phenomenal story arc, but the music and lyrics are stepped up in a big way on TPAB. Poetic Justice doesn't really fit for me except for the throwback to Sherane at the end, and I'm Real is okay but it gets tedious and after the emotion and intensity of Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst it feels like a very easy point to stop listening to the album. I know it represents the resolution of the story and Kendrick's flow is good but it's otherwise "meh" to me.

I don't skip a single song on TPAB. The highlights are at least as high as GKMC's but the lowlights aren't as low. They're both incredible albums but if I have to choose one I go to TPAB somewhat more often.

Sing About Me is better than anything on TPAB and the running poem/2Pac interview harms TPAB's replay value. I can't listen to it all the time or I start to get tired of those elements in the same way that I do skits on any other hip hop record. Because of all that, I'll take GKMC.

That being said, the production on TPAB is a marvel and I think more likely to age gracefully than the trendier GKMC. It also ends far more strongly, whereas GKMC stays petty good but peaks with two tracks to go. TPAB just builds and builds, ending on a masterful high note. The Mortal Man beat is astonishing.

Last edited:
I'll concede that when listening to TPAB I often go "fuck we've still got that long-ass Mortal Man song and the Tupac bit to go" but then every time it actually comes on I'm blown away. The final 30 seconds are absolutely incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is too powerful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUC_DOhfzwQ

5uft025umbdwl3h7ga2ei6foo.450x249x16.gif

Saw that today, fucking amazing. When's the last time that happened in music? MJ? Marvin Gaye? What an artist. Hope he sees it. Even if the sales disappointed him, that clip alone is proof that his music is cutting through.

Jay Rock

album: 90059 release date: TBA (date depends on the number of pre-orders)

Cover:
jay-rock-90059-cover-680x680_olxeqj.jpg

Track list:

1. Necessary
2. Easy Bake ft. Kendrick Lamar & SZA
3.Gumbo
4. Wanna Ride (ft. Isaiah Rashad)
5. The ways (ft. Sir)
6. Telegram (Going Crazy) (ft. Lance Skiiiwalker)
7. 90059
8. Vice City (Black Hippy)
9. Fly on the wall (ft. Busta Rhymes)
10. Money Trees Deuce ft. Lance Skiiiwalker
11. The Message

listening part review: Jay Rock Holds Listening Session for '90059' at Sonos Studio (Aug 16) — SUSPEND

90059 ft. SZA

Money Trees Deuce

Gumbo

easy bake ft. Kendrick Lamar (snippet)

Pre-Order:

Let's support Jay Rock with his upcoming album!!!

Last edited:
Oh thank God.

TDE has so much talent but has to be one of the worst run labels on the planet.

So I just discovered Kendricks music this week.

This week is a good week.

Kendrick Lamar, Future, Fetty Wap, Rae Sremmurd, Jeremih, Rich Homie Quan, Ty Dolla $ign and Jidenna at the Forum

$55 with fees for cheap seats :hmm:.

Get while it's still up. Full version:

Wesley's Theory (!!!)
Momma (!!!!)
King Kunta :dance:
u (!!!!)

Whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

He was a big letdown at Bonnaroo, he basically ignored To Pimp a Butterfly. He like threw a medley of "i" Alright and King Kunta in at the end but that was more or less it.

Back
Top Bottom