Best and Worst Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't attest to objective authenticity of either, as I don't have the life experience to give my views such gravity, but the Suburbs rings true for me and Neon Bible borders on sloganeering. Again, it's maybe just an issue of taste. If there is any problem with The Suburbs it's that it's a one-trick pony; Win hits the same nerve on every song, but the lyrics are so damn true that I can forgive him for it. Not everyone has experienced a childhood like his (or mine), but I can personally attest to its truth. Neon Bible says a lot of things that add up to "the world is an awful place and uh yeah," and that doesn't do a lot for me.

I too grew up in a suburb and would agree that much of the album is unnervingly poignant (especially We Used to Wait). I just feel that the overall atmosphere is unrelentingly bleak: a picture of shattered hopes and mundane pleasures that are almost not worth the effort. I'm afraid I don't see the optimism in it.

Like iYup said, it's all about the wording, deep. I don't personally care because I've just got it in my head that all people speak for themselves all the time and that's it (this is true 90% of the time), but some people really do need/want posters to go the extra mile and have you acknowledge their opinion's validity.

I do think my opinions are subjective, as all of the other opinions in here regarding best and worst of an artist's work.

Thanks for the dictionary.com link. If you're such a wordsmith than you wouldn't use terms like "certainly" and "correct" in reference to your ostensibly subjective opinions.

I'm afraid I don't see the optimism in it.

There isn't any. But there certainly was some to be found, at one point.

I'm not sure Neon Bible was written in a world where happiness ever existed, and that's what I find unrealistic about it. :lol:

Okay I wasn't trying to start some battle of semantics. Just a suggestion, and the original poster seems to think it's a good idea. It's a good way to really get to talk about random music and hear everyone's opinion. I trust everyone will be in a close ballpark with the answers, like you've said. Subjectivity opens up for debate. Debate isn't a bad thing, so long as it doesn't become a fight.

Did anyone answer for The Cure yet? I'm going to say Disintegration for best and The Cure for worst. Either of the last two, really, but I particularly don't care for the production on the self-titled album.

How about Pearl Jam?

Everyone know they only have one good album.

Danny Boy said:
Did anyone answer for The Cure yet? I'm going to say Disintegration for best and The Cure for worst. Either of the last two, really, but I particularly don't care for the production on the self-titled album.

How about Pearl Jam?

* SPOILER *

Best - Vs (shows a greater range, I think, than Ten, and I just like the songs heaps more.)
Worst (that I've heard) - Backspacer (still good though!)

The Flaming Lips

White Stripes

Best: De Stijl. Unadulterated, unabashed blues with searing guitar work from Jack and primal stomping from Meg. Perhaps one of my all-time favorite albums.

Worst: The White Stripes.

The Cure.

I agree with your best but disagree with your worst. In my opinion, their first three albums were their best. I'd have to say I find Icky Thump to be their worst.

Best - Vs (shows a greater range, I think, than Ten, and I just like the songs heaps more.)
Worst (that I've heard) - Backspacer (still good though!)

The Flaming Lips

I agree with your worst for Pearl Jam but disagree with your best. I'm a weirdo who finds Binaural to be their best.

As for The Flaming Lips, I haven't heard enough of their albums to accurately judge as I've only heard 6 of them (including the cover of Floyd album), but I find their best of those remaining 5 (Transmissions, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi, Mystics, and Embryonic) to be The Soft Bulletin, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. Of those, I tend to find Transmissions to be my personal least favorite. In the end, I should listen to more.

Others, feel free to expound on The Flaming Lips, and I'll offer Kanye West to those who wish to move on.

Best: Graduation (and in my opinion, it's not even close)
Worst: The College Dropout

I really feel like that's a literal example of maturity of an artist.

Definitely get on Clouds Taste Metallic. Severely underrated album.

I've only heard five PJ albums so that shouldn't preclude one from discussion.

Best: The Bravery (Unconditional, No Brakes, Honest Mistake, Give In - all amazing)

Worst: Stir The Blood (although I need to listen to it more)

Interpol

Best: Turn On The Bright Lights, though there's nothing wrong with Antics
Worst: Haven't heard Our Love To Admire, so I've got to default to the self-titled

M83

Worst: Haven't heard Our Love To Admire, so I've got to default to the self-titled.

I would argue that Our Love to Admire is the low point. I have heard it several times and never find much that stands apart.

I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the self-titled over OLTA and Antics. I like it a great deal, actually.

Worst: Haven't heard Our Love To Admire, so I've got to default to the self-titled

M83

Best: Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Worst: Digital Shades, Vol. 1

New Order

Best: Brotherhood (the lesser-known songs on the guitar-driven Side One is my favorite run the band has done, and the more electronic Side Two has Bizarre Love Triangle, All Day Long, and Every Little Counts)
Worst: Movement (no thanks on Bernard trying to sing like Curtis)

Bob Dylan (this should be a fun discussion)

Can you say can of worms?

I don't want to answer these unless ive heard all the albums, and someone has always moved on from the last one I'd heard all of. Hell, is it even possible to have heard all of dylan's albums?

The Carole King thing made me laugh.

Best Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks
Worst: the Jesus years
Blood on the Cross?

Can you say can of worms?

I don't want to answer these unless ive heard all the albums, and someone has always moved on from the last one I'd heard all of. Hell, is it even possible to have heard all of dylan's albums?

Yes. And I actually own all but two.

Though I haven't heard his debut in an eternity and can't recall it at all.

The Carole King thing made me laugh.

Best Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks
Worst: the Jesus years
Blood on the Cross?

Yeah, worst is a tough one. Critically they would say Self-Portrait but that has too many good tracks on it. The born-again christian ones aren't as bad as they're made out to be, particularly Slow Train Coming, which features Mark Knopfler and was co-produced by Jerry Wexler at Muscle Shoals.

Even the follow-up, Saved isn't quite an abomination, though it pales in comparison to STC. It has conviction, though. And the third of the "christian trilogy", Shot Of Love, starts to veer away from solely religious material, and despite some iffy production really has some stand-out tracks, including Every Grain Of Sand, and In The Summertime. There are a shitload of outtakes from those sessions, and some that were released are great.

I would be looking more towards the mid-80's, particularly at Knocked Out Loaded and Down In The Groove. The first album was recorded primarily with the Heartbreakers IIRC, and has a noticeable lack of original material. Several covers and he also had to co-write several tracks. The album's only true noteworthy track is Brownsville Girl. Down In The Groove, features more guest musicians (including members of the Grateful Dead), covers, and songwriting collaborations. It's more consistent than its predecessor, however.

Yeah, I have no idea what his worst record is. I just wanted to say "the Jesus years."

I don't know his stuff from the 80s too well. And maybe there's a good reason for that, like those records weren't well-reviewed or something.

I think she chose Creed because "Blood on The Cross" is one of their songs...I think.

Best Album: My Own Prison
Worst Album: Full Circle

Patti Smith

I think she chose Creed because "Blood on The Cross" is one of their songs...I think.

Best Album: My Own Prison
Worst Album: Full Circle

Patti Smith

Best Album: Easter
Worst Album: Gung Ho

I mean my worst album selection has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't listened to any post-1990s Patti Smith, so it's arguably an arbitrary selection.

LCD Soundsystem

Back
Top Bottom