Best albums / songs of the 2010s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are all interesting to see. I listened to so much music this decade that trying to condense it seems almost impossible. Like Cobbler I'm feeling a need to change my listening habits so as to immerse myself more.

What about artists of the decade? For me, four stand out for consistent excellence:

Nick Cave
Kendrick Lamar
Beach House
Tim Hecker

Might throw Destroyer in there as a dark horse.

I mean, if we're trying to be objective it has to be Kendrick.

And it's pretty sad that I don't think a single "band" could even contend here.

I mean, if we’re talking about most popular, ok the Kendrick. But I could think of several “bands” that are better.

I mean, if we’re talking about most popular, ok the Kendrick. But I could think of several “bands” that are better.

I wasn’t thinking most popular so much as most culturally relevant. The critical acclaim and the popularity just back it up.

Great to see love for American Dream. I truly believe it is their best record. And glad you had Adz so high, ruckman.

Artists of the decade... based only on personal preference and nothing else: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The National, Los Campesinos! and Kendrick Lamar.

Including cultural relevance and impact... Kendrick Lamar and Beyoncé are the clear top two. You could then mark arguments for many, many others, St Vincent is a great shout from Joey's list. Taylor Swift I think would firmly be in the conversation.

I've been playing with this for a few weeks, but might as well get it over with at some point. Putting this list together made me realize how much I liked this decade. Not as much as the 2000s, but it's been good.

1. D’Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah
2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
4. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
5. Frank Ocean - Blonde
6. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
7. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
8. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
9. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
10. David Bowie - Blackstar
11. Beach House - Bloom
12. Grimes - Art Angels
13. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
14. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
15. Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
16. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
17. Beyoncé - Lemonade
18. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
19. St. Vincent - St. Vincent
20. The National - High Violet
21. Solange - A Seat at the Table
22. Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
23. Angel Olsen - My Woman
24. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
25. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
26. Wilco - The Whole Love
27. Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest
28. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
29. Chromatics - Kill for Love
30. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
31. Tame Impala - Lonerism
32. The National - Sleep Well Beast
33. A Tribe Called Quest: We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your service
34. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There?
35. Big Thief - UFOF
36. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
37. Beach House - Teen Dream
38. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
39. Destroyer - Kaputt
40. Lorde - Melodrama
41. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
42. Sleater-Kinney - No Cities To Love
43. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
44. Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d. city
45. M83 - Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
46. Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
47. Mitski - Be the Cowboy
48. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
49. Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer
50. Grimes - Visions
51. Hop Along - Painted Shut
52. Waxahatchee: Cerulean Salt
53. Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour
54. Okkervil River - The Silver Gymnasium
55. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
56. Wild Nothing - Nocturne
57. Anderson.Paak - Malibu
58. Big Thief - Two Hands
59. Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
60. Beach House - Depression Cherry
61. Phantogram - Eyelid Moves
62. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
63. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
64. Washed Out - Within and Without
65. My Bloody Valentine - m b v
66. Grizzly Bear - Shields
67. Julia Holter - Loud City Song
68. Spoon - They Want My Soul
69. Passion Pit - Gossamer
70. Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana
71. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
72. Big Thief - Capacity
73. St. Vincent - Masseduction
74. Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself
75. Feist - Metals
76. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
77. Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
78. Los Campesinos - No Blues
79. Mitski - Puberty 2
80. No Name - Room 25
81. Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder
82. Torres - Three Futures
83. Beach House - 7
84. Real Estate - Days
85. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
86. LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
87. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
88. Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe
89. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
90. US Girls - In a Poem Unlimited
91. SZA - Ctrl
92. Julia Holter - Aviary
93. David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love This Giant
94. Tame Impala - Currents
95. Lucy Daucus - Historian
96. Best Coast - California Nights
97. Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record
98. Courtney Barnett - The Double EP: A Sea of Split Peas
99. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness
100. Haim - Days Are Gone

Last edited:
Looking back through my playlists, these are my top albums from each year. I'm not so sure how they would rank against each other aside from Sufjan at #1.

2010 - Deerhunter: Halcyon Digest
2011 - Radiohead: King of Limbs
2012 - Beach House: Bloom
2013 - Nick Cave: Push the Sky Away
2014 - Wild Beasts: Present Tense
2015 - Sufjan Stevens: Carrie & Lowell
2016 - Nick Cave: Skeleton Tree
2017 - Kendrick Lamar: DAMN
2018 - Armand Hammer: Paraffin
2019 - Nick Cave: Ghosteen

Joey788 inspired me to think about the best concerts I saw this decade. In no particular order:

2010-05-07 - Broken Social Scene at Webster Hall (Forgiveness Rock Record tour)
Emily Haynes joining the band for Anthems the first time I was seeing the band was just perfect.

2010-08-05 - Arcade Fire at MSG (The Suburbs tour)
My favorite Arcade Fire concert was in the Neon Bible tour, but this one was so good too. Ready to Start as an opener is perfect, Power Out -> Rebellion is the best two-song transition there is (sorry Bad-Streets), Keep the Car Running closing the main set, and Tunnels/Sprawl II for an encore, all this before the band became insufferable (also, Spoon opened for them).

2010-11-03 - St. Vincent at Webster Hall (Strange Mercy tour)
Annie Clark had just exploded, and touring behind her best record was great. The new songs were fantastic, but Marrow/Your Lips Are Red to close the main set/encore were the high points.

2013-05-07 - The National at Park Avenue Armory (Trouble Will Find Me release show)
There are other National shows I enjoyed more - the tiny club show I saw when they were touring Boxer or the back-to-back nights with unique setlist in NYC last year, but this was special. It was a by-invitation show to which I had applied for tickets, and one day found an envelope in my mailbox with two tickets. The Park Avenue Armory is a gorgeous venue, too. And this was the first time I (and most people) were hearing these new songs.

2015-10-31 - Sufjan Stevens at the Lowe's Jersey Theater (Carrie & Lowell Tour)
What a fucking awesome tour, this was. I didn't expect Sufjan to top the Age of Adz shows, which were so fun, but this was the most captivated I've ever seen an audience. Blue Bucket of Gold live is one of my favorite live moments ever. And after all the emotional heft, he covered Hotline Bling in the encore.

2016-12-16: Kendrick Lamar at the Music Hall of Williamsburg (around the To Pimp a Butterfly tour)
I still don't know what magic I made to buy these tickets, but seeing Kendrick at the height of his powers at a venue for about 600 people is something I'll definitely have to tell my son about. It's a shame I can't remember the whole setlist, and nobody seems to have registered it outside the 4 songs that were broadcast online.

2017-06-19: LCD Soundsystem at Brooklyn Steel (reunion tour):
One of my biggest concert regrets is missing their farewell MSG show that my friend had invited me to go to, so I was ecstatic when they decided to get back together. This is by far the loudest show I've been at, and it was perfect. I didn't realize how monstrous Dancer Yrself Clean is until seeing it live, plus All My Friends as a closer was everything I expected it to be.

2017-06-28: U2 at MetLife Stadium (JT30 Tour):
Hey, I finally found a spot for U2 in these lists. I saw three of the JT30 shows, all of them a blast (despite just about missing ASOH). Do more of this, U2. Also, this one had The Little Things... as a closer, which to me is their best song since...I guess Fez/Being Born.

2017-07-28: Frank Ocean at Panorama Festival (Blonde Tour):
I guess I didn't realize how immense Frank was until I saw this crowd singing every word of an album he had just released - the only older song he played was Thinking Bout You. The end of Self Control live is still unforgettable.

2018-07-11: Radiohead at MSG (A Moon Shaped Moon Tour):
Finally caught the big white whale of Fake Plastic Trees, and that wasn't even the best part. Singing "bring down the government / they don't speak for us" with 20,000 people was fucking liberating. The setlist was just about perfect. One of the best shows I've been at.

2018-07-12: Los Campesinos! at Elsewhere (10th anniversary of Hold On Youngster):
Probably the most fun I've had at a concert this decade, from the opening with This is How You Spell Ha Ha Ha (a Rushmore LC! song for me) through the last song with Gareth in the crowd 5 feet away from me singing Sweet Dreams, Sweet Cheeks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom