Best Albums of 2011 - The Lists Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now, here's a thing. As some of you know, and some of you may not know, there isn't a bigger Strokes fan on this forum than yours truly. (Bring on the "Strokes are still around?!?" jokes.) Their first three albums are three of my favorite albums by anybody, ever.

I was as disappointed as everybody else in their 2011 comeback album Angles. It was a mess, and they forgot to write more than a couple good tunes for it.

But let us not forget that the lead single kicked all kinds of ass. If this isn't one of the "Top 100" songs of 2011, then I'm Paris Hilton's chihuahua. Let's revisit it, in case you haven't heard it in a while:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwxcQvB_vcQ

I'm finding myself mostly focusing on the debuts on all these lists now. I don't feel like I've been introduced to a lot of new, exciting artists this year, just great shit from artists I already like. Keep hearing how great this Other Lives album is, so I'll get to that soon. If it's good enough for Radiohead, it's usually good enough for me.

What's the Danny Brown record like? Are they on the money? Or is it an example of Pitchfork's inexplicable love for shithouse hip-hop like Lil' Wayne and Waka Fuckoff Flame? And what about Shabazz Palaces?

This sums up why I love Raconte-Moi Une Historie:

"If a sound has ever made you break out into a foolish, cheesed-out grin you couldn't suppress, it's probably here."

Bon Iver is a deserving winner. Yes, Kaputt is the best album I've heard since In Rainbows, but Bon Iver is remarkable. I think the fact that I know all the songs - but couldn't tell you which was which by name - is a testament to its strength. I'm so excited to see him in March.

Bon Iver is remarkable. I think the fact that I know all the songs - but couldn't tell you which was which by name - is a testament to its strength. I'm so excited to see him in March.

It took me until this week, seeing it on so many year end lists, to give it a few more listens. Been really glad I did, as I'm liking it quite a bit more these days. End of year is good for that sort of thing, getting you to listen to things you'd forgotten about or didn't give a chance, etc.

Indeed. I'm off to buy the Yuck & Junior Boys albums now, as a matter of fact.

Do you prefer For Emma?

I think the new one is a better album overall, but nothing on it tops my favs from Emma, if that makes sense. Better singles on Emma, better album with the new one.

If you end up liking Junioro Boyos, you should really check out So This Is Goodbye in the future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiI-3uRfaSc

Every time someone places Drake above The Weeknd, Bono snaps his fingers and kills an African child.

What's the Danny Brown record like? Are they on the money? Or is it an example of Pitchfork's inexplicable love for shithouse hip-hop like Lil' Wayne and Waka Fuckoff Flame? And what about Shabazz Palaces?

Danny Brown's LP was one of the year's best hip hop albums. It's really damn catchy and has some killer lines, and frankly, I understand the love for it more than Lil Wayne.

Shabazz Palaces is one of the most unique albums of the entire year. Everybody needs to hear it. I love hearing truly new sounds even if I don't love the record they're coming from.

Also, am I weird for liking the second Weeknd album a lot more than the first?

I work part-time, three days a week (25 hours), so I have a lot of time to listen to new albums. I'm very, very fortunate to have a job where I do nothing all day and can support myself. It's not the best use of a college degree according to most, but neither is working in a mind-numbing office all week.

Also, am I weird for liking the second Weeknd album a lot more than the first?

Yes, but they're both high quality, so I can't exactly blame you.

The Weeknd is the best new act of 2011, most definitely. Two kickass albums, one a debut, both in the same year? That shit is unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom