Best Albums of 2011 - The Lists Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You like it less than Pablo Honey? I guess I like PH less than most fans.

Haha, I probably like Pablo Honey more than most fans. I don't think it's nearly as bad as some seem to, I just think it's weak for a Radiohead album.

I like KOL more than HTTT, Pablo Honey and maybe Amnesiac although that depends on my mood. I don't begrudge the album for being weaker than In Lameblows, The Bends, Kid A and motherfucking OK Computer.

LemonMelon said:
I like KOL more than HTTT, Pablo Honey and maybe Amnesiac although that depends on my mood. I don't begrudge the album for being weaker than In Lameblows, The Bends, Kid A and motherfucking OK Computer.

Pretty much my thoughts except I like HTTT more than King of Limbs.

1. Bjork - Biophilia
2. Radiohead - King of Limbs
3. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
4. Wilco - The Whole Love
5. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
6. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
7. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
8. Panda Bear - Tomboy
9. Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness
10. Lady GaGa - Born This Way

Granted I haven't heard as much this year as I'd have liked to, but I still really love this whole batch and more.

p4k's Honourable Mentions and 50-21 are up.

I've seen that Fucked Up album on nearly every list I've looked at.

I really, really like this Yuck album.

Listening to the Kendrick Lamar record since it's the only one from the first half of the Pitchfork 50 that I hadn't heard yet. Solid hip hop album, very melodic and he has a great flow.

Very happy that Katy B made the list. Pop record of the year, perhaps.

The Caretaker is something everyone should hear (and I really loved Leyland Kirby's Eager To Tear Apart The Stars which was also released this year), but I can't help but feel that since so much of it is relying on dusty old recordings that it's hard to consider it a "new" album although it's certainly a very unique project.

Pretty sure that's the first time I've seen Junior Boys ref'd in B&C. Play on, Cobblerino.

I was a huge fan of So This Is Goodbye, but I think 2006 was one of the years I wasn't posting on here. I still listen to In The Morning now and again. I don't like much of what they did before or after that album though, comparatively at least.

Wasn't too impressed with Pitchfork's 50-21. Hopefully the top 20 is solid.

I've seen that Fucked Up album on nearly every list I've looked at.

Yeah, this is one I apparently need to hear. A few years back, I kept seeing No Age pop up on year-end lists, but I dismissed them, thinking that the description sounded like something for which I would not care. When I finally heard some stuff from them, though, I was really impressed. This could be a similar case.

Fucked Up's album has horrendous vocals but some of the most thrilling music I've heard in years. It gives me that very same rush that Born To Run and The Stage Names always do. Great record, if a little long to listen to regularly.

Strangely, I listened a few times to one of their albums in the mid 00's that my friend had, and for some reason I remembered them being an instrumental band. I was pretty shocked to hear lyrics when I clicked on the video link for the album in the Popmatters list.

Fucked Up's album has horrendous vocals but some of the most thrilling music I've heard in years. It gives me that very same rush that Born To Run and The Stage Names always do. Great record, if a little long to listen to regularly.

Started listening to the Fucked Up album just over a month ago. Love it! The vocals make it difficult for a single sitting listen, but the songs work wonderfully on mixes. I've dropped a couple songs on mixes for my gf. Compliments on the comparison to Born to Run and Stage Names.

Likely story, Mikal.

By the way, every time I read or write your username, I think of the song "Michael" by Son of Sam. I don't know why, as I haven't listened to that album in years and years.

Another reason I love this time of year is because I always get My Year in Lists!!!! stuck in my head.

mikal said:
gonna listen to NPR's 100 Best tracks of 2011 playlist on Spotify tonight. yum...

Where do you think Let England Shake will finish in your year-end list?

Likely story, Mikal.

By the way, every time I read or write your username, I think of the song "Michael" by Son of Sam. I don't know why, as I haven't listened to that album in years and years.

nice, lol!

i don't even know why my username is mikal. my real name is Michael. i think i was really drunk and on something else when i made that username 11 years ago.

Another reason I love this time of year is because I always get My Year in Lists!!!! stuck in my head.

Where do you think Let England Shake will finish in your year-end list?

i'd say it would rank in my top 25 for sure.

Back
Top Bottom