Beirut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeeeea :dance:

dancing_mascots.gif

So I pulled up last night's show on my DVR, spend a few minutes fast forwarding to the end, I see Dave sitting there holding the album getting ready to introduce the band, and the recording ends. I even set the thing to go 5 minutes late so I wouldn't miss any of the song. :angry:

Luckily I found it on Youtube, for some reason the person who posted it incorrectly labeled the song. They played Sunday Smile, no new songs for u!

YouTube - Beirut - La Llorona (Live on on Late Show with David Letterman)

So I pulled up last night's show on my DVR, spend a few minutes fast forwarding to the end, I see Dave sitting there holding the album getting ready to introduce the band, and the recording ends. I even set the thing to go 5 minutes late so I wouldn't miss any of the song. :angry:

My DVR also cut off the recording 30 seconds into the song. :angry:

Good band...
The Flying Club Cup is so much better than Gulag Orkestar. :love:

Nowhere around here got the EP in today. According to the one and only store that had a clue, there was some sort of slight delay and they'll be receiving it "mid week".

Anyone else have better luck?

Also, the Beirut track on Dark Was the Night pretty much rules.

Nowhere around here got the EP in today. According to the one and only store that had a clue, there was some sort of slight delay and they'll be receiving it "mid week".

Anyone else have better luck?

Also, the Beirut track on Dark Was the Night pretty much rules.

I ordered it from CD WOW and it had a one day delay. I got a mail yesterday saying that it's on its way. :up:

Did you receive your copy yet, DrTeeth? My local shop finally got it in yesterday, just listened to both discs for the first time. I am completely in love with the Realpeople disc, it's completely different for him, but it sounds fantastic. I'd pay for a full album of this. I'd pay for a couple full albums of this!

I am sort of annoyed that he released this exact same cut of My Night With the Prostitute From Marseille as Beirut a year or two back on that compilation for Natalie Portman, but it's nice to have a CD quality version of it now.

I loved 'The Akara' from the Zapotec disc, and 'The Shrew' sounds pretty good to me also. Between this double EP and the great song he has on the Dark Was the Night compilation, it's been a great week to be a Beirut fan!

Realpeople+146890condon.jpg

Did you receive your copy yet, DrTeeth

Not yet! :angry:

I like CD Wow because it's very cheap, but I'm not really happy with their speed of delivery. They're lucky I'm a cheapskate. :angry:

Meanwhile, I wonder if I should get my hands on that Dark Was the Night compilation. I don't know 75% of the artists on there, but I'm quite fond of the ones I do know. :hmm:

Beirut live at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Baeblemusic

37 mins of live Beirut, absolutely fantastic audio quality (and decent video as well). The new song at first is pretty cool too. If you're a Beirut fan, you'll love it. :up:

DrTeeth, what are your thoughts on the double EP? Joyful, why have you not purchased it (or if you have, why have you not discussed it?)?

I would like bump this thread so I can share how extremely excited I am that tomorrow I will finally get to see them live. The show being free is also braggable.

As a follow up, the show was extremely enjoyable. Certainly an indoor "paid" type event would have been a better atmosphere to see a band I like this much for the first time, but I was still thrilled to finally see them live. They played all the tracks I wanted them to play, and even played 3 new songs (at least I thought all 3 were new, I suppose one could have been a cover I was unfamiliar with). The new tracks were actually phenomenal, so we definitely have good things to look forward to. The entire set was an hour and forty minutes, which is pretty decent for a band with only two full length albums I suppose. Zach said, "We've ended up playing way more songs than we'd planned on" towards the end of the show, so that was cool.

Yay!!!

I'm very happy I got to see them last year. It's time they released some new material though. :angry:

http://pitchfork.com/news/42429-new-beirut-album-coming-this-summer/

The last month or so has seen an increased level of activity from sonic postcard-sender Zach Condon's Beirut project; he's hitting the road for a fairly extensive tour soon and he contributed a Caetano Veloso cover to the Red Hot Organization's forthcoming benefit compilation, Red Hot + Rio 2 (stream it above). If you guessed that this means that there's a new album in the cards as well, then give yourself a gold star, because you pretty much nailed it.

Condon recently told HitFix that the as-yet-untitled record is set for release "sometime this summer" and was recorded this past winter in upstate New York. He told HitFix that the new album is "sunny," saying, "I write sad songs when it’s nice outside. I write warm and happy songs when I'm up to my neck in snow for three months."

HitFix also points out that Condon contributed new and previously recorded music to the score for the documentary Bombay Beach, directed by music video lenser Alma Har'el.

:happy:

That is a fucking awesome cover.

Heard Gulag Orkestar for the first time the other day, my introduction to the band. It was a beautiful album, very different from what I normally listen to because I'm an ignorant American. Will gladly listen to more in the future.

A good friend of mine whose tastes I rarely question is going to see the Bay Roots in Dallas tonight. I've never listened to them. Shall I?

Back
Top Bottom