Beach House - Depression Cherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it. Very different from their other work, a bit downtempo and Yo La Tengo-esque. Like Autumn Sweater without the clattering percussion. Or maybe a sprightly Low track.

Last edited:
Lol so I saw this comment posted on Atease and laughed pretty hard:

Was playing Teen Dream for the first time in the car, checking it out more, riding to pickup food with my buddy and he said "Damn dude...are we are on our way to visit your lesbian witch friends?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting "device" they're using here...

Tour | beach house

Setlist Creator

While on tour, we change our setlist every night and certain songs get played only a few times per tour. This device will allow us to know if there is a large number of people wanting to hear a certain song in any one place. It’s not that we will definitely follow it, but it will certainly influence our set lists…... maybe 50 people in milwaukee want to hear a song we made 10 years ago?!?!

Choose the "setlist creator" next to the show you are going to and follow the directions there..............Thanks

Got the official stream from Sub Pop today:

This is a very much a companion to Bloom, even to the extent of some of the melodies and guitar lines recurring. It's sedate instrumentally most of the way through, which really gives Victoria room to shine: she's front and center here, and showing impressive variety in her vocal approaches. This one is a slow burner, but not in the sense that it needs a bunch of listens to get to you - it kind of smolders under your skin so that you find yourself thinking about it after it stops playing. Definitely another winner from arguably the most consistent band out there right now.

I mean, they just keep delivering those great melodies again and again. Sparks and PPP are out of this world.

Got the official stream from Sub Pop today:

This is a very much a companion to Bloom, even to the extent of some of the melodies and guitar lines recurring. It's sedate instrumentally most of the way through, which really gives Victoria room to shine: she's front and center here, and showing impressive variety in her vocal approaches. This one is a slow burner, but not in the sense that it needs a bunch of listens to get to you - it kind of smolders under your skin so that you find yourself thinking about it after it stops playing. Definitely another winner from arguably the most consistent band out there right now.

More high-res wankery: Subpop sells albums in 24-bit FLAC through HDtracks, but only CD quality through their own website. I can't preorder the album, so I can't listen to the stream.

I can't get into Sparks because the organ riff sounds off. Like it's out of tune or something.

The second half of this album is strong.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I pre-ordered the vinyl and will listen to the stream tonight.

Every time I listen to the new album I like it more. Great stuff.

I'm not sure why I was expecting anything more than another Beach House album, but I was quickly put in my place. The first track was like every Beach House song, and aside from Sparks the rest was Beach House doing Beach House.

Look I'll never love this band as Peef, iYup, LM, whoever else do. I just don't get it. I've heard three albums and they all sound exactly the same to me - slow, stately, serene. The songs don't really ever build to anywhere special. They lovely, and this is good background music, but it just does very little for me. You've got these looping synth chord progressions interrupted by barely-perceptible other elements like drum or guitar, then a distant, passionless vocal from Victoria Legrand, with words you really can't make out. On occasion, these elements all come together and result in some tremendous moments like Silver Soul, Wild, and the latest addition to that is Sparks, which is fucking fantastic (thanks largely to a guitar that actually fucking plays a prominent role), maybe the best song they've ever done, but the rest... I know I'm coming across as harsh here but I just had to say something because I just cannot understand where all this ravenous love is coming from. I just do not get it. It isn't bad, in fact, it's really nice. But I just don't think it's anything more than that.

I mean I knew when I wrote that that it would be torn to shreds, and that's fine. One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. But I don't connect with her vocals at all.

It's really OK if you don't like Beach House. Your criticism re: the lack of variety in their music has merit. In fact, they're facing a critical backlash over it with this album.

But critics don't write reviews for fans. They're already going to listen to and probably enjoy the album. I love this album because I love their sound. It's a very good batch of melodies and arrangements and it has the texture I look for from them. And even if it's not a big leap (which I don't expect at this point), Sparks is their heaviest song to date and Days of Candy is their most ethereal. There are some extremes on this record.

But no, if you didn't like Beach House before, you won't be changing your mind with this one. If you do, you'll probably like it. They're not doing anything wrong and the listener isn't either. It's just the way it is. They're hardly the only band with a tried and true formula.

The tremendous thing about Beach House for me is how soothing they are, and I mean that in the most positive way possible. Victoria especially is hypnotic. I listen to Beach House frequently at work as a de-stressor; it's the best method I have yet found.

Back
Top Bottom