Beach House - Depression Cherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This would be my ideal setlist:

1. Levitation
2. Beyond Love
3. Wishes
4. PPP
5. All Your Yeahs
6. Master of None
7. The Traveller
8. Troublemaker
9. Gila
10. Walk in the Park
11. Wild
12. 10 Mile Stereo
13. One Thing
14. Elegy to the Void
15. Take Care

16. Myth
17. Irene

Tough to cut things like New Year, Space Song, Rough Song, Majorette, and Heart of Chambers, but that's as long as their sets seem to go.

Also, FYI: 10 Mile Stereo > One Thing is their Power Out > Rebellion.

Is it worth listening to for someone who quite liked Teen Dream but has been entirely indifferent to everything else since because it all sounded exactly the same?

Sparks is the only exception I've heard to this rule. That song is fantastic.

Yeah, it's still them but it's a departure from their previous work. You can tell they've changed producers. Heavier sound.

Pitchfork compared it to My Bloody Valentine, and I think that analogy is apt. It probably is their most sonically diverse album yet.

It's definitely a different sound than they usually have, still extremely enjoyable though. Happy to have a new Beach House album to listen to through the rest of the year. If you disagree, I hope your cat gets Feline AIDS. If you don't have a cat, I hope a Furry gives you the human version...... or something.

Last edited:
Is it worth listening to for someone who quite liked Teen Dream but has been entirely indifferent to everything else since because it all sounded exactly the same?

I'm not sure what new album you would be listening to instead that would be a better use of your time.

This is almost worse than your shit opinion about pizza.

Because pizza is the food of the gods and fish and chips is what you get when you're stuck in a small town and there is no other good takeaway?

I mean, I like chip butties, but it's not exactly exceptional food.

BACK ON TOPIC, let me revise the last sentence of my last post:

I mean, I like 7, but it's not exactly an album with All Your Yeahs.

7 is the only Beach House album I've heard that I felt was more than the sum of its parts. The sequencing is excellent and there's a lot of momentum when these songs are played in order.

That said, I think the parts themselves are a little less memorable than their best work. The best stretch of the album is L'Inconnue to Black Car with Dive being my personal highlight. The final third of the album is the weakest and I struggle to remember anything about those tracks, though none of them are bad by any means.

Last edited:
I do see what you mean, Travis, about 7 being more than the sum of its parts. I'm still not sure whether to rate it 3.5 or 4/5 over on RYM. On the one hand everything fits very well as an album. On the other, I'm not racing back for anything in particular yet, like I did with the previous three albums.

Think I need a few more spins with it yet.

Isn't this just fries in a sandwich bun? I don't see how that could be appetizing.

Yep. Bread, preferably buttered, with hot chips (regular salt or chicken salt, your call). I usually add sauce - tomato or barbecue or HP, I'm not too fussy.

Fucking delicious. One of the ultimate "let's go have a picnic at the beach and scoff junk" meals.

Man this band is just nothing more than nice inoffensive background music to me.

Loved Drunk in LA and Last Ride is really lovely but not much else stood out.

This album is definitely sticking with me. L'Inconnue is boring as hell, but the second half of the album seems to be something of a grower. Woo and Girl of the Year are probably two of the best tracks here.

Easily the best track is Dive though. Shit that's good.

That sounds like a full day's worth of calories.

Wait until I introduce you to one of Australia's greatest culinary gifts to the world, the HSP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal_snack_pack

Nothing like smashing one of those after a night on the piss.

How the hell had you gone so long without having an HSP! Friggin'.

Yeah I know. I think I just thought I wouldn't like it. The one I had, I got it without the spicy sauce, and I wish it was just little bits of meat rather than thin shaves, but I'm definitely keen to go it again.

Chili sauce and garlic sauce or death. I've seen a few places with signs refusing to put tomato sauce on it. :lol:

If you go to Town Hall Kebabs on Sydney Road their chicken one is little bits of meat. I prefer the thin shaves of beef though.

I want to submit You Came to Me as the most underappreciated Beach House song. On many days I think Devotion is their best album.

I want to submit You Came to Me as the most underappreciated Beach House song. On many days I think Devotion is their best album.

I haven't listened to that album anywhere near as much as the rest. I also haven't listened to the new album in a while. I should fix both of those things.

I'm seeing them Thursday, it's been a decade since I last went to one of their shows. Hopefully they're still good live. Has anyone seen them in support of the new album?

Back
Top Bottom