Beach House - Depression Cherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your criticism re: the lack of variety in their music has merit. In fact, they're facing a critical backlash over it with this album.

I don't know if this is entirely true: Bloom and Depression Cherry are far different albums from the debut and Devotion; the latter two are almost like a morphine drip in terms of how spaced-out and distant they sound. The songs have become much more defined and crisp over the last few records. I'd say they have followed a clear and maybe predictable trajectory, but not that there is lack of variety across their albums.

I don't really enjoy the first two records all that much because of how lo-fi they are, but I don't think it's any secret around here that I'm not a fan of lo-fi. Still, Gila and Heart of Chambers are some of their best songs.

I liked it on first listen. Probably not as much as the last two albums, but I'm not acquainted with it enough yet to say anything definitive.

It didn't stand out to me much after one listen, but I loved Bloom so much it's hard to follow that up.

Favorite tracks: Sparks, 10:37, and Bluebird. I especially love the drum machine on 10:37 - sounds like it's being picked up faintly from across the solar system. The production on this album is masterful.

Google Music has changed 10:37 to 0.4423611111111 :lol:

Edit: for a minute there I thought that was a fraction but even that's incorrect.

Haha how did you think of that!?

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Depression Cherry is really, really good. A lot of reviews seem to be criticizing it for lacking depth or warmth; I might have agreed to an extent with that on first listen, but after several times through it, I'm finding it weaves a beautiful spell. The beats are a high point - distant and fragile but still intriguing, almost like witnessing a transmission of another time and place. Victoria is one of the most talented vocalists of her generation; she's incredibly evocative without ever resorting to absurd theatrics. A lot of people should take a cue from that.

I really like pretty much everything except for Sparks after being disappointed on the first couple listens. Even 10:37, which could be more, is still interesting. The last four songs are an incredible stretch. Levitation, Space Song (nitpicking but this could use a better title), and Beyond Love are are all very good too.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Albums ranked:

Bloom: A
Devotion: A
Teen Dream: A-
Depression Cherry: A-
Beach House: B+

Bloom and Devotion are both impeccable in striking that delicate balance of infectiousness and atmosphere. Teen Dream leans more heavily toward the former and Depression Cherry toward the latter; these two are a dead heat to me. The debut is bewitching but floats by a bit too easily for its own good.

I don't really care for Devotion. It's pleasant but too lo-fi and it doesn't have anything I like as much as Master of None, which is probably in my Rushmore for the band.

Teen Dream: A
Bloom: A
Depression Cherry: A-
Beach House: B+
Devotion: B

I haven't got around to Beach House's first two albums yet, but Teen Dream doesn't do much for me, Bloom is a definite step up, and Depression Cherry is probably the best of the three.

It's literally just that organ riff. There is something about it. I don't know if it's out of tune or not in key or what.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

12081222_926768714063575_822465431_n-560x560.jpg

Back
Top Bottom