Bands You Used To Listen To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to - and still do - listen to all sorts. But before U2, it was:

Eminem
Rammstein
Millencolin
Gorillaz
Blur
Jamiroquai
Royksopp
Led Zeppelin
Queen
The Darkness
Linkin Park
The Cure

My shameful emo past:

-Green Day
-Lifehouse
-Evanescence
-The Calling
-Nickleback

WTH was I thinking??? I am ashamed of myself, yuck!

its actually neil diamond that was my first big time band interest. my first concert. bad as it might seem, he can sing. even easy listening haters know that. i learned the very basics of how i listen to music, how to feel music, how a band plays a song live different from studio version, how a live album is arranged, etc. . i lost him after the 80's to move on to other kinda of rock. but in this past decade, i have come to appreciate it more. and have used what i have learned since the 80's, and applied it to his music now. seeing things i didn't know before. like how his mid 80's stuff, was a attempt to stay cool and gain a younger audience. using some beats and snyths in his music. etc. why he wrote certain songs a certain way. but i learned the basics from him. you make a bunch of studio albums, then do a live album. stuff like that.

^ I love Neil Diamond. Don't ever apologise for listening to Neil Diamond -- he's well worth listening to. :yes: :up:

Da na na na na na na da na na na :yes:

And re the Beatles, I still like their music of course, and still listen to the albums now and then, but nowhere near as much as i used to. Once I got into Floyd, Bowie, and probably more specifically Radiohead, some Beatles music just seemed to me to be pretty unremarkable.

Oasis :uhoh:

Actually, I'm listening to them now, but I rarely do these days. Considering they were my favorite band for well over a decade, that's bad.

Beck
loved him around One foot in the grave
lost him around Mutations
don't even listen to his old stuff much anymore

I go through periods of discovery and re-discovery. It's not often that a band completely drops out from my rotation. I generally seem to focus on about 5 or 6 bands at a time, and focus on them for about a month.

I cannot believe how anyone in a U2 Fan Forum can NOT listen to U2 when they have a new album out and a tour coming. Maybe I'm missing something. But at the moment U2 is almost all I listen to, simply because I don't have time for anything else.

I guess that maybe these guys are probably excited about other bands with new albums coming out and tours starting soon, and thus they don't have time for U2, or it could simply be the fact that they have outworn U2 and still post on the off-topic parts of the forum because they happen to like it here.

The Sad Punk nailed it. That's exactly what's happening with my favourite band -- in fact, their new album arrived the day after I bought NLOTH, so for me, that album (and the two EPs they released just weeks before that, and the more side projecty album they released a few months before that) took precedence over the U2 album. Of course I'm going to listen to much anticipated new work from my favourite band. That's what you are doing, isn't it, last unicorn?

As for the often asked "why are you here then?" question -- I'm part of several different band forums. Obviously not all of those bands can be my favourite. I like this forum -- and there's a lot more to it than just U2. And it's not as if I never listen to U2. I just don't listen to them nearly as much as I did when I was a huge fan and they were my favourite band.

Poor old INXS have taken a hammering.

INXS
Bon Jovi
Icehouse
Metallica
Guns 'n' Roses
Crowded House
The Cranberries
Incubus
RHCP
The Police, and Sting
Tori Amos, lately. :|

Geez you have good taste ^

Yeah, Bon Jovi.. used to love 'em... back in primary school. ;)

did you get to sound relief?
No and it was my own damn fault - I lost track of time in the morning and forgot to buy a ticket. :angry: Did you get along to it? I was mostly keen to see Midnight Oil, not a huge fan but I'd never seen them before and.. well, not likely to now.. I think it's great that they reformed to play the gig though.

Cool sig by the way, I saw The Castle for the very first time the other night. :shh:

Yeah, Bon Jovi.. used to love 'em... back in primary school. ;)

No and it was my own damn fault - I lost track of time in the morning and forgot to buy a ticket. :angry: Did you get along to it? I was mostly keen to see Midnight Oil, not a huge fan but I'd never seen them before and.. well, not likely to now.. I think it's great that they reformed to play the gig though.

Cool sig by the way, I saw The Castle for the very first time the other night. :shh:
I just realised that might have come across as sarcastic.. didn't mean it that way!! Bon Jovi go alright.

Sucks :( Yeah I made it, I wrote an article, it's in the 'australian music apprecation thread'. It absolutely blew my mind, sorry to say :lol:

Nice!! :applaud: Did you enjoy it? I can quote it till the cows come home.

I used to listen to Goo Goo Dolls quite a bit. Almost never now.

I went through a period of about a year in like 2007-2008 where I hardly listened to any U2 but since the new album and everything has picked up my U2 listening has exploded again.

I also used to listen to a lot of Melissa Etheridge and Sting. I still dab back into their music now and then and I still love them, I just am listening to things more current right now.

Also my Bon Jovi listening has really taken a nose dive in the last year and a half.

What usually happens is I liked an album a couple years ago and I will listen to it a lot in like the first couple months or year of release and then leave it alone for another year or couple years. Then I'll go back and it'll be even better than I remembered :wink:

I just realised that might have come across as sarcastic.. didn't mean it that way!! Bon Jovi go alright.

Sucks :( Yeah I made it, I wrote an article, it's in the 'australian music apprecation thread'. It absolutely blew my mind, sorry to say

Nice!! :applaud: Did you enjoy it? I can quote it till the cows come home.

(Bon Jovi) Hehe no probs I still reckon Slippery When Wet is a great album and probably will always rate it highly because those old songs are kind of hardwired into the nostalgic part of my brain, but even if their later albums were stellar I would've eventually drifted away from them. Still a soft spot for old times though.. :)

(Sound Relief) Ah shit I knew it! I would've loved to have seen those Split Enz performances, maybe even moreso than the Oils.. At least there's a good chance that they (Enz) might do the rounds again. Also I dug back and read your article, nice work! Did you submit it anywhere?

(The Castle) Yeah really enjoyed it, it won me over in spite of myself. I was expecting it to be saturated with the Aussie battler cliches and of course it was in a piss-take sort of way but it was also too charming to not get caught up in. :) "And the chimney? Fake as well.. " "Why?" "Charm.. Adds a bit of charm.." :lol:

(Bon Jovi) Hehe no probs I still reckon Slippery When Wet is a great album and probably will always rate it highly because those old songs are kind of hardwired into the nostalgic part of my brain, but even if their later albums were stellar I would've eventually drifted away from them. Still a soft spot for old times though.. :)

(Sound Relief) Ah shit I knew it! I would've loved to have seen those Split Enz performances, maybe even moreso than the Oils.. At least there's a good chance that they (Enz) might do the rounds again. Also I dug back and read your article, nice work! Did you submit it anywhere?

(The Castle) Yeah really enjoyed it, it won me over in spite of myself. I was expecting it to be saturated with the Aussie battler cliches and of course it was in a piss-take sort of way but it was also too charming to not get caught up in. :) "And the chimney? Fake as well.. " "Why?" "Charm.. Adds a bit of charm.." :lol:
:lol: :up: No one can resist a bit of Bon Jovi... and when it comes to party tunes, can you really beat Livin' on a Prayer? I think not.

The Enz were soooo good.. I had no idea about them really, only knew a few songs, but they blew my mind.

And yes, everyone comes around ;) A few of my friends were apprensive because people talked it up all the time, but it's the little subtle lines like the one you mentioned which win people over.

I used to listen to AquA, Spice Girls, Savage Garden when I was 10 or so....still do. Not really ashamed of them either.

I'm still quite hardcore about Savage Garden actually.

Some stuff from high school/college that dominated my life but is now gathering dust:

Ride. Hasn't aged well for me, except maybe Nowhere. I might have taken a bullet for those guys in '91.
Ned's Atomic Dustbin. What was I thinking...
REM. Best American music of the 80's, but lost it's luster from Monster on.
U2, especially pre-Achtung. My first love, hardly listened to anymore.

More recent stuff that was worn out in its day, then archived for reasons I could never explain:

Sufjan Stevens
Rogue Wave
Destroyer
The Innocence Mission. They lost me after Glow, their virtually unknown masterpiece.

Back
Top Bottom