B&C's favourite 2012 albums at the halfway point of the year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Alright people, it's late June 24 here and I think it's pretty much time to get this thread going. It was a slow start to the year for me but I've found a handful of albums lately that I'm really enjoying.

So let's share some mini lists, and I'm sure we'll all find an album or two to listen to that we had forgotten about, overlooked, or otherwise not heard of.

Like right now, I'm listening to Of Montreal's Paralytic Stalks and I quite like it so far!

Cobblerz favourite albums of the year so far, in alphabetical order:

BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2
Some pretty good beats mixed in with some pretty good jazzy moments that give pretty cool new interpretations of well-trodden songs such as Flashing Lights, Limit To Your Love, Earl, Bastard and others. Too long, but the best of the instrumental hip-hop/beats albums I've found this year.

Father John Misty - Fear Fun
Ranging from folky to countryish to rock, this is an endlessly entertaining album. The lyrics are quite impenetrable, but always interesting, and often very funny. Certainly one of the more interesting records I've heard this year. But really all you need to know is Aubrey Plaza is in the video for Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings, and she looks really, really hot in it.

The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Remarkably consistent, coherent (in terms of flow, the songs themselves are off the planet) and good album considering the logistics of the project. One of the best bands in the world doing whatever the fuck they want and pulling it off pretty damn well.

Hot Chip - In Our Heads
Didn't like it after one listen, and then completely changed my mind on second listen. I read in some review something like "having the words Hot Chip plastered on the front of an album is as close to a guarantee of quality in music today" and I agree with that. They know what they do well. Flutes is the banger of the year so far.

Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Great hard fast rock from 00:00 to 35:20. Noisy and fun as all hell. In a world of uptight, fastidious music and full-time work, it's refreshing to hear two blokes just belt the shit out of their instruments and sing about partying and drinking without worrying about the consequences.

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action at a Distance
Don't give a remote shit how derivative it is. It sounds bloody great to me, start to finish, and is just a joy to listen to, whether it be driving around, on headphones on the train or just chilling and hanging back. Few great riffs in the first half before getting more reflective and beautiful in the second.

The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
Won't become an absolute favourite of mine, as it gets a bit same-y for me, but there's no denying it's a pretty gorgeous album in parts. 1904 is a masterpiece of acoustic, poppy soft rock, and the title track is a nice change of pace on the album. Best when I'm the mood.

Honourable Mentions
New Build - Yesterday Was Lived And Lost (Hot Chip and LCD alumni, few really, really good tracks)
Odd Future - OF Tape Vol. 2 (Rella and Oldie are probably the two best hip-hop tunes I've heard this year)
Burial - Kindred EP
Hodgy Beats - Untitled EP
Lambchop - Mr M

My personal favorites so far:

Blunderbuss - Jack White

Born To Die - Lana Del Rey

Bloom - Beach House

Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen

Reign Of Terror - Sleigh Bells

Port of Morrow - The Shins

Attack On Memory - Cloud Nothings

Clear Heart Full Eyes - Craig Finn

There's the Fiona Apple album, and then there's everything else:

Saint Etienne, Words & Music
Beach House, Bloom
Father John Misty, Fear Fun
Johnny Foreigner vs. Everything
Tennis, Young & Old
The Dø, Both Ways Open Jaws
Spiritualized, Sweet Heart Sweet Light

Shearwater - Animal Joy
Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Amadou and Mariam - Folila
Goribor - Evo je banja
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart, Sweet Light
Soulsavers - The Light the Dead See

I'm trying to get a jump on my top 15 list this year instead of waiting until the very end. I've started an iTunes playlist of my top 15. When I add a new album one has to drop out, but I guess I could always change my mind and add one back if it grows on me. Anyway, it currently contains:

Beach House - Bloom
Bear in Heaven - I Love You, It's Cool
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel, etc.
The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Grimes - Visions
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
School of Seven Bells - Ghostory
Shearwater - Animal Joy
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
The Walkmen - Heaven

I'm thinking Hot Chip may soon replace Bear in Heaven. A few in there are untouchable.

Beach House - Bloom
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Shearwater - Animal Joy
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

Definitely going to be following this thread closely. Haven't listened to as much as I have wanted to.

The Walkmen
Beach House
Shearwater
The Shins
Father John Misty
Jack White
Chairlift
Sigur Ros
Liars
Japandroids

There is one release so far this year that stands above the others for me, even though part of it was released near the end of 2011. It is:

Burial: Street Halo / Kindred. This is some of the finest atmospheric music I have heard since Miles Davis's work in the mid-70s. The hiccuping samples positioned against Burial's soundscapes give the impression of a city filled with life but also malaise. Burial's consistency is also attested by how seamlessly these two EPs flow together on one disc.

Others of note, in no particular order:

Beach House: Bloom
Chromatics: Kill for Love
Daniel Rossen: Silent Hour / Golden Mile
Father John Misty: Fear Fun
Grimes: Visions
Jack White: Blunderbuss
The Men: Open Your Heart
Mount Eerie: Clear Moon
Perfume Genius: Put Your Back N 2 It
Sigur Ros: Valtari

1. Lotus Plaza – Spooky Action at a Distance
2. Beach House – Bloom
3. Fiona Apple – The Idler Wheel…
4. BADBADNOTGOOD – BBNG2
5. Andrew Bird – Break It Yourself
6. Allo Darlin’ - Europe
7. Shearwater – Animal Joy
8. The Tallest Man on Earth – There’s No Leaving Now
9. Japandroids – Celebration Rock
10. Sharon Van Etten – Tramp
11. John Talabot - ƒin
12. Frankie Rose – Interstellar
13. Dr. John – Locked Down
14. Julia Holter – Ekstasis
15. Lambchop – Mr. M

There are a lot of good albums in my top 25 or so that I think could place even higher later, including those by Chromatics, Alabama Shakes, iamamiwhoami and Sun Kil Moon, but for now, let's just call them honorable mentions. They're damn good, I'm just too lazy to type out the titles too.

There's the Fiona Apple album, and then there's everything else

I'm not at all prepared to say that, but it's probably true. Just need to spend more time with that record. I do think every record in my top 3 is immaculate though. I'm a lot less passionate about everything else, but that just means I haven't written 30+ posts about it yet like I have with those. Some thread-to-thread evangelism happening there.

No order.

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Burial - Kindred
dEUS - Following Sea
Shearwater - Animal Joy
Liars - WIXIW

I guess I need to go back and listen to Ekstasis again. I see it in a lot of lists. I listened to it once when it was first released, but it didn't make much of an impression.

This thread also reminded me to go back and bookmark LeMel's list of upcoming releases.

I'm not at all prepared to say that, but it's probably true. Just need to spend more time with that record. I do think every record in my top 3 is immaculate though. I'm a lot less passionate about everything else, but that just means I haven't written 30+ posts about it yet like I have with those. Some thread-to-thread evangelism happening there.

Yeah, I'm perhaps being a little presumptuous, but feel pretty confident this one is going to only increase in value. And that I've only begun to unlock/explore its many mysteries.

A major work by a major artist.

That Andrew Bird album is probably the album I'm most disappointed with so far this year.

I still really need to hear Fiona Apple, Japandroids, and Liars. Hopefully I'll do this in the next few weeks.

Is the Father John Misty album that good? Because this seems to be the only place that gives one shit about it.

I also really need to check out the Tallest Man on Earth album.

Fear Fun won't turn your life upside down or anything, but it's pretty good, fun, replayable stuff. I can understand the appeal. I can also understand why there isn't any pandemonium over it elsewhere.

I've had no interest in Valtari at all. I wanted them to make an album like that, but I can barely discern any changes from track to track.

It is a 'boring' album in a way but it works for me. I can understand though why many don't like it all that much. It's definitely a mood album.

1. Alcest: Les voyages de l'âme
... big gap ...
2. Metric: Synthetica
3. A Place to Bury Strangers: Worship
... small gap ...
4. Les Discrets: Ariettes oubliées...
5. If These Trees Could Talk: Red Forest
6. Ladyhawke: Anxiety
7. Silversun Pickups: Neck of the Woods
8. iamamiwhoami: kin
9. Chairlift: Something
10. School of Seven Bells: Ghostory
11. OSI: Fire Make Thunder
12. Ne Obliviscaris: Portal of I
13. AtomA: Skylight
14. Allo' Darlin: Europe
15. Grimes: Visions

A couple of placings are tentative, e.g. I've only heard the Silversun Pickups and AtomA albums a few times yet, and the rankings in general below 5th aren't really in a tremendously solid order. Almost included Edge Party by I Am Waiting For You Last Summer but it really needs another listen.

I'm trying to remember what my favorite album of 2012 is. I'll let you know when it comes to me.

I'm trying to remember what my favorite album of 2012 is. I'll let you know when it comes to me.

oh yeah. Smashing Pumpkins! :lol:

really, for me it's actually been a disappointing year for the most part, but there are two standouts for me:

Lotus Plaza
Jack White

i did enjoy Beach House and The Shins as well, but nothing compares to my top 2.

I haven't listened to as many as I would have liked, but here are some of my favourites, in no particular order:

Metric - Synthetica
Plants & Animals - The End of That
Grimes - Visions
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Beach House - Bloom
The Walkmen - Heaven

I'm still hoping The Walkmen album tops my list. I just haven't had the time to really give it a fair listen yet.

It is a 'boring' album in a way but it works for me. I can understand though why many don't like it all that much. It's definitely a mood album.

You certainly have to be in the right mood for it. Because of that, I've probably listened to it less than any SR album besides Von at this point, but still really enjoy it when I do. I still have no idea why so many people were comparing it to () before it came out. Had they never actually listened to ()? Extremely misleading comparison.

Shearwater. Although I'm fairly certain that album, Springsteen, the ducky boys, and the magnetic fields are the only bands who had albums out this year that I've listened to enough to form an opinion. Still need to hear the shins, hot water music, and the bouncing souls. I still need to hear a bunch of others I'm sure, but the vast majority of things you guys have been hyping a) either did nothing for me so I shut it off (i.e lotus plaza), b) are bands I've never cared for to begin with, so I don't see why I'm going to begin now (a la the Walkmen), c) were nowhere near impressive in the small sampling of what I have heard that I feel compelled to check out the entire album (see: father John Misty). Then there's the japandroids album, which I will eventually get around to hearing, one of these days/months/years. I'd say something about being somehow biased against the closest album to something I'd love that gets massively hyped at this place, but I haven't exactly been overly excited about bands off you guys' radar either lately.

In no particular order...

Shearwater
Jack White
Bruce Springsteen
Metric
Alcest
Sigur Ros
Anathema
Japandroids
Beach House
Chromatics

Still need to listen to the new Fiona Apple though...

Back
Top Bottom