B&C's Best of 2010 in Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It'll get points from me as well, I have no idea why so many people forgot about it.

I did really enjoy Teen Dream, but I think that it somewhat suffers in my rankings from being released amid a great deal of high-quality mood albums (especially Gemini, Love Remains, and Learning).

I had a really weird year with music last year, didn't connect with much new music at all. Was actually pretty upset by it, so I was really happy to like so much this year.

This is my story this year. For whatever reason, I didn't listen to much from 2010 and what I did hear didn't really stick, so I don't even have a solid year-end list.

I feel like a bad music fan.

My list is still coming, someone has to kill an Oasis fan. If anyone needs a recommendation on which, let me know.

Neon+Trees++at+The+Woods.jpg

With 17 lists in right now, there are two runaway leaders.

two "runaway" leaders?

High_Violet-The_National_480.jpg

Kanye_West_My_Beautiful_Dark_Twisted_Fantasy_album_cover.jpg

:wink:

and by the way, does the fact the Kanye track is called "Runaway" bother anyone else? because in the song it's used as a verb, so really, it should be called "Run Away".

High Violet would move up a few notches on my list now i'd say.

Somewhat deservedly so, as far as I'm concerned. At least everyone has been listening to them for a while. It sucks that the Black Keys' worst album launched them to stardom.

I honestly have no idea why The Black Keys suddenly became big, but Brothers is a great album, though not my favorite. Worst BK album isn't really a bad thing in my opinion.

It sounds like Imps feels the same about Brothers as I feel about Boxer. As in, it's not a bad album by any means, it's just strange as to why that was the album they became popular on?

I think it's far more accessible overall to a wider audience than some of their previous albums, which is why so many likely enjoy it. I might be wrong.
Let's go down to the waterfall.

I disagree, while Come Around Sundown is just kind of there, its inoffensive, and I'll take "Radioactive" over pretty much all the singles from Only By the Night, with the exception of "Revelry" which I actually like.

dropkick murphys got a very small amount of notice outside of the normal circles of people who would pay attention to this stuff when "walk away" was used on the OC. not much notice, but it was the beginning of something bad. ask mofo, i've always had this unvalidated hatred of that song, even before i knew this. like, from the day the damn album came out.

"tessie" secured them a spot as favorites amongst frat boys who needed a soundtrack while they rioted after the red sox won or lost anything, be it a normal season game or something more important in terms of pennant races.

"shipping up to boston" was a dreadful B-side on the "fields of athenry" 7" picture disc. i bought it for the novelty of collecting 7" singles, because i used to be really crazy about that. i listened to it as well as the live cover of "if i were a carpenter." it was just part of that whole thing they did when they went into the unrecorded woody gutherie vault that got them the title track off the blackout album, although it didn't come out good enough for them to put it on the actual album (hence its status as a b-side). didn't really think much of it other than the beginning sounded like jaws dun nuh dun nuh...then they came out with an amped up version that REALLY sounded like jaws in the beginning that was featured prominently in the commercials for the departed. honestly, the only time i ever remotely liked that song was in the context of that movie, because as so often with scorsese films, the music works masterfully.

anyway, my point is that their worst songs were what brought them varying levels of popularity outside of punk rock. granted, long before "walk away," they were considered sell-outs, "not as good as they were in 1996," and all other absurdness that goes with being a punk rock band when people decide you've sold out. expanding from a 4-piece to 7 complete with a bagpiper...guest vocals from shane macgowan himself on a song...all those things marked sing loud sing proud as the sell-out point. the worst part? most of the people who got into the band as a result of tessie or shipping stand there during SLSP songs at shows like they're hearing these songs for the first time. i nearly flipped my shit at a kid one time on the bus back to school after a show who said they played too many songs from their first album in regards to a setlist that was very heavy on the SLSP side. no, i didn't choke the kid out while screaming that's the band had two albums, an EP, and a handful of split 7" singles out before that album came out. but at the time, i probably wanted to. that shit used to make me angry. now it just makes me sad because if the most recent dkm album is any indicator, any subsequent albums will sound exactly like shipping up to boston, whereas it used to be that the song was a uniquely worst song in the band's very good overall catalogue.

but this is a thread about the black keys. this is a thread about the album, the name of which, is brothers.

i was actually just going to say something about how most bands that i like that are reasonably popular and have the disctinction in their fanbase between rabid fans and the casual ones that only know the singles, those singles are very rarely even remotely my favorite songs of theirs. and leave it at that. instead, you got my dkm essay.

Thank you for calling out Dropkicks for becoming huge because of Shipping Up to Boston, which thanks to the Departed and Jonathan fucking ego Papelbon, I can't stand, and now St. Patrick's week concerts with them are full of fucking poser fans.

st patty's week shows have been getting progressively worse (and i thought i was a bad fan because the first year i went to one was either the year they did the first live album, or not until the year after that), but they're actually unbearable now. i think the last time i went to one was 3 years ago, or will be this coming march 3 years ago. not sure. it's been a while, and i'll never go to another. i'm pretty much done with seeing the band live in general. i've been saying this for a little while now and not following up on it because after the last time i said i was done they did the minor league ballpark thing with the bosstones and had to go for the bosstones. then i figured well, CT isn't boston, hartford is 30 min away, might as well do that instead of one of the st patty's shows. then they came back to pearl st in northampton, which is almost as local as it gets for me. they were too big for that club when they came there on the blackout tour, and i can't imagine they'll ever come back. however, with brian mcpherson and mark lind openining the show, i absolutely had to go. i left after they opened the encore with the baba o'riley cover, and was safely walking down the street and back to my car when the opening dun nuh...dun nuh...started. too many times they've fucked that shit up and finished with that song instead of skinhead like they're supposed to (yes, i said supposed to. they're not allowed to change this), and i didn't feel like witnessing another pandering to the meathead masses from umass.

i loved that band. i still love that band. but i am done with seeing them live. they get another album that i will automatically buy just because it's them, and if it's more of the same as the last one (which i tried to like, and at times i did manage to like, but not for long enough to count) i'm probably done with new stuff as well.

:lol: this isn't actually the black keys thread, is it? it's the album best of thread. oops. man, i've been doing that a lot lately it seems...walking into threads that i thought were about something because that's what's being disucssed, then looking at the title to realize it was actually something else.

ah, i love you guys and your wild tangents. wild tangent...that's a band or album or something, no?

Back
Top Bottom