B&C's Best Albums of 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure I've seen any mention of Information Retrieved except for your comments and from a couple of other people either on here or Facebook who also listen to Pinback. Certainly not in any publications or RYM ... I kind of figured it'd show up in at least a handful of year-end lists.

Yeah, it's weird. Maybe they took too long to release a new album. Maybe people were disappointed in Autumn of the Seraphs (I know I was), and didn't bother with this one. They were huge right around Summer in Abbadon.

Do you like any of Rob Crows other bands / solo stuff?

I have to admit that Information Retrieved is an album that I actually bought but never really gave a critical listen. I don't think I've even heard the whole thing yet.
100.gif

Are you familiar with some of their other albums? It's admittedly probably more of a "fan" album than an "introduction" album, if that makes sense.

It was an introduction album for me and I like it. Sediment is a fantastic track.

My favorite boss battles in video game history take place in Rare's DONKEY KONG COUNTRY series for the Super Nintendo.

I think I recall the 'but you have xxx posts!1!1!!!!1' attack being used before 2012.

My personal favourite was a few years ago when somebody tried to use my post count against me in Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills while insinuating certain sexual misdemeanours. I'm pretty sure it's one of the most exciting non-Moggio things to ever happen on that sub-forum.

Yeah, it's weird. Maybe they took too long to release a new album. Maybe people were disappointed in Autumn of the Seraphs (I know I was), and didn't bother with this one. They were huge right around Summer in Abbadon.

Do you like any of Rob Crows other bands / solo stuff?

Honestly, I really like Autumn of the Seraphs and find it to be a very similar album to Summer in Abaddon. I'm surprised you find them so different in quality since I have a difficult time saying which is better than the other. They're the two releases I listen to most apart from the Offcell EP, which is perfect in every way.

I haven't heard much of Rob Crow's other stuff. His appearances on the Team Sleep album absolutely dominate it though. I've also meant to listen to more of Zach's work with Three Mile Pilot after enjoying the few songs I've heard online.

Wish Pinback would tour the new album in Australia but I kind of fear their 2011 tour didn't do well enough to compel them to rush back here. Shame too because I thought they were bloody awesome live.

I could have played around with the list a lot longer but this'll do.

Zammuto - Zammuto (1)
Robert Glasper - Black Radio (2)
Grimes - Visions (2)
Bear In Heaven - I Love You, It's Cool (2)
How To Dress Well - Total Loss (3)
Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man (4)
Twin Shadow - Confess (5)
Mount Eerie - Clear Moon (6)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (7)
Passion Pit - Gossamer (7)
Wild Nothing - Nocturne (9)
Chromatics - Kill For Love (10)
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (13)
Killer Mike - R.A.P Music (14)
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d City (15)

And my number one album of the year is...

Chris Brown - Fortune (500000)
Chrissy's at it again with another masterpiece that sets him on the stage of greats for all time!!!! Whereever he lifts his foot, five hits are there. "fORTUNE" continues the trail of cheers that has followed him throughout his illustrious career. Chris Brown is like Lincoln, Siddhartha Buddha and Belushi rolled into one. He is truly the maestro of music.

Other shit

Album I will probably get into more over this year cause it's kind of inaccessible but you know, I might come around to it: Grizzly Bear - Shields
Underrated albums by big names but I can still understand why people didn't really dig them: Bear In Heaven - I Love You, It's Cool, Yeasayer - Fragrant World
That Antlers EP: was also lovely.
A Thank You to: GAF, for mentioning Donkey Kong Country just now.

Very good :up:

Unfortunately since it's only got one mention I don't think your half-million votes for Fortune will be enough to make it to the final list.

For those who've been talking about Cruel Summer - the first six tracks in particular. Surely To the World is not up to the standard of the others? Music's kinda good, and Kanye's verse is full of the stuff that makes his verse so memorable - "Francis Ford Cocoppola", "Mitt Romney don't pay no tax", "Deez niggas try hold me back", "shittin' on you holy crap" - but R. Kelly sounds shit, and if "to the world, to the world, to the wo-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-erld" isn't one of the worst hooks of the past few years I don't know what is.

I really do like To The World more than anything in the second half. The entire side smacks of "oh...we're not finished? Fuck it, I've been hyping this muhfucka up too long, we've got to get this shit out, guys. Maybe Cudi has something lying around. Oh, he does? Nevermind listening to it, just throw it on there."

No qualms from me for that. High Violet is amazing. My list then:

This is Happening (LCD)
Romance is Boring (Los Camp!)
Sir Lucious Left Foot (Big Boi)
Forgiveness Rock Record (Broken Social Scene)
MBDTF (Kanye)
The Lady Killer (Cee-Lo)
High Violet (National)
Heligoland (Massive Attack)
One Life Stand (Hot Chip)
Innerspeaker (Tame Impala)

But that's different now.

1. Can't decide between My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, High Violet and This is Happening
4. Romance is Boring
5. Cosmogramma (Flying Lotus)

I had The Suburbs above MBDTF, which I don't agree with at all anymore. No Innerspeaker to be found, which is absurd, Teen Dream has made a run but probably isn't there yet...overall, really good year.

MBDTF is, on reflection, probably my number 1 from 2010. I rate This is Happening higher than I did then too, but it could just be my yearning for LCD.

If I had participated, I probably wouldn't have ranked high violet as #1 because I don't think I listened to it til 2011. But if I were to look at 2010 albums and make such a list now it's probably the only time my #1 would ever be the same as this place's overall winner.

Alright, I have 18 lists now. I'm willing to wait a few more days, but that's only if there are people who intend to post lists who have not done so yet.

I like R. Kelly's part on To the World better than Kanye's.

I also didn't listen to High Violet until after the year of its release. Wish I had, because my list for 2010 would have been a lot different. I have no qualms with it being the number one album of that year.

Alright. Here we go:

Tame Impala - Lonerism - 15

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Wooky Action Jackson - 15

Jack White - Blunderbuss - 15

Menomena - Moms - 15

The Shins - Port Of Morrow - 10

Bloc Party - Four - 8

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz - 8

Beach House: Bloom - 4

The Walkmen - Heaven - 4

Bear in Heaven: I Love You, It's Cool - 3

Melody's Echo Chamber - Melody's Echo Chamber - 2

Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - 1

I've been bummed how little Heaven has been included. Probably my favorite album this year. Yay for someone else voting for The Shins and Menomena as well.

I've been told to listen to The Walkmen before. Actually, just last week by someone in person. I listened to Lisbon once and haven't listened since just after it came back. I should look into that again sometime soon.

I've been told to listen to The Walkmen before. Actually, just last week by someone in person. I listened to Lisbon once and haven't listened since just after it came back. I should look into that again sometime soon.

For me, they're kind of a "mood" band. If I'm not in the mood to listen to them, there's no way I can sit through one of their albums even if it's playing in the background.

PS. I played the song "Heartbreaker" at a party recently and everyone wanted to know who the artist was.

Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone is a great album. That was the one that really drew me into the band (I heard it after many of the albums that followed it).

Back
Top Bottom