B&C's Best Albums of 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M83's been doing that for a while, but I don't think they've ever been so charmingly naive about it, which is awesome for an album released a decade into their career.

I think I might be the only who found M83's album to be bloated and overdone :shrug:

Nope. Same here. And I'm a fan of the earlier stuff. Big fan. It's weird that an act known grandiose feelings and pomposity could have an album of not-so-long tracks feel very bloated compared to their previous efforts, but I guess it's because I feel that a lot of the tracks from this double album just don't really go anywhere whereas almost everything on the earlier LPs had a sense of purpose.

15. Explosions In The Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (1)
Surprised to not see this one on any lists. It's still Explosions people, and still good.

It was very nearly 14th or 15th on my list, but the Neon Indian and An Horse albums have resonated with me just a little more.

I think I might be the only who found M83's album to be bloated and overdone :shrug:

I think it was quite a step down from Saturdays=Youth. It's too long, I've spewed forth quite enough hyperbole about my distaste for Raconte Whatever on this forum before, and there's no single song where everything just comes together perfectly like Kim & Jessie.

...no offense to those who enjoyed it, though :wave:

Nope. Same here. And I'm a fan of the earlier stuff. Big fan. It's weird that an act known grandiose feelings and pomposity could have an album of not-so-long tracks feel very bloated compared to their previous efforts, but I guess it's because I feel that a lot of the tracks from this double album just don't really go anywhere whereas almost everything on the earlier LPs had a sense of purpose.

It was very nearly 14th or 15th on my list, but the Neon Indian and An Horse albums have resonated with me just a little more.

I think it was quite a step down from Saturdays=Youth. It's too long, I've spewed forth quite enough hyperbole about my distaste for Raconte Whatever on this forum before, and there's no single song where everything just comes together perfectly like Kim & Jessie.

I would agree with these sentiments, but

M83 – Hurry Up We're Dreaming (8 points)

Song after song after song of huge, soaring guitars and synths and high-pitched vocals mixed in with some choice slower moments. It is too long but when there's songs like Intro, Reunion, Claudia Lewis, Raconte-Moi Une Histoire, My Tears Are Becoming A Sea, New Map, OK Pal, Steve McQueen, Outro, and, of course, Midnight Fucking City, who cares?

I adamantly disagree with them all. Saturdays = Youth was good but it took itself too seriously and has a 20 minute song that's two notes back and forth. What the fuck was that an homage to anyway, being an asshole?

Hurry Up We're Dreaming is like 15 minutes longer anyway. I think people get thrown off by the "double album" thing and don't realize that all M83 albums are long. Not a single one is less than 56 minutes.

Oh, S=Y is too long too. But at least it has Kim & Jessie and Couleurs. M83 are more a "songs" band than an "album" band to me, and nothing from Hurry Up has stuck with me. Not even Midnight City.

Well, I guess Raconte-Moi has stuck with me in a very negative way ...

See, I think there's way more to grab onto with this one. Kim and Jessie, Graveyard Girl and Skin of the Night are excellent tracks, but as far as having those exciting M83 pop songs, it's no match for Midnight City, Reunion, Wait, New Map, OK Pal, Steve McQueen, etc.

Plus, I do admit to liking my M83 ridiculous. Before The Dawn Heals Us is still my favorite, and it's all over the place. But at least it's fun.

:lol: LemonMelon clearly failed debate class in high school. How can you argue for this album and not mention the fucking awesomeness that is "Intro"?

Far as I'm concerned, the only M83 album that had songs that stuck was S=Y. Otherwise, they've always been more of an album band, IMO and all that.

BigMacPhisto said:
:lol: LemonMelon clearly failed debate class in high school. How can you argue for this album and not mention the fucking awesomeness that is "Intro"?

I wasn't arguing the album's "awesomeness"

LemonMelon said:
but as far as having those exciting M83 pop songs

I was arguing that the album was fun. Considering the criteria, isn't Intro a pretty lousy piece of evidence? I ask because they flunked me out before we covered evidence.

But anyway, yeah, M83 is a great band. They're a lot more popular around here than they were back in the day, one very positive aspect of S=Y.

AXVERIO: Hex Girlfriend is fucking incredible, and most of the remaining tracks are a good supporting cast, though there are some patchy moments. Disappointing to me is that my second favourite song is actually just a throwaway bonus track, Arcade Blues.

Wasn't a "throwaway", he just didn't think it fit with the rest of the album so he stuck it on the end. My favourite track, personally.

1. Washed Out - Within and Without (13)
2. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes (12)
3. Destroyer - Kaputt (11)
4. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (11)
5. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy (11)
6. Dum Dum Girls - Only in Dreams (9)
7. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost (9)
8. The Black Keys - El Camino (6)
9. Okkervil River - I Am Very Far (4)
10. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints (3)
11. Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (3)
12. Bon Iver - Bon Iver (3)
13. Real Estate - Days (2)
14. Zola Jesus - Conatus (2)
15. Cults - Cults (1)

wow Philsfan. surprised we have the same #1. didn't remember you talking about this album that much. kudos.

Alright, we have 19 lists in so far. Is there anyone left planning on submitting a list, or are we good to go? Also, Northern Soul, are you going to post a list that actually follows the rules that I can count, or am I just discarding yours entirely?

Ashley will have her list in later this afternoon. Beyond that, yeah, I guess we're done. An even 20 is nice.

Would have submitted one if I'd heard more than a handful of albums this year, but as I don't want to skew things too badly I'll leave this to the enthusiasts on the board.

Nice list, Peefster. I'm happy to see a handful of us listed Mogwai, glad I'm not the only one still fanboying for them. :wink:

Hurry up with your list, Bonoz2012. By the way, are you happy it's finally your year?

It was a slow year for me in terms of new albums; I don't even think I listened to the minimum 15 required for this list.

However, I think my favourite album this year was Watch The Throne (it's the one I went back to the most), followed by El Camino (Black Keys), Let England Shake (P.J. Harvey), Ceremonials (Florence + The Machine), Blood Pressures (The Kills), Eureka (Mother Mother), and Mylo Xyloto (Coldplay).

If there was a ranking for best half of an album, it would be Radiohead's King of Limbs. The second half of that album is the best half of any album in 2011, in my revered opinion. It's too bad that to my ears the first half didn't measure up.

While still better than a lot of what is out there, my biggest disappointment was Elbow's build a rocket boys.

I continue to come back to Watch the Throne at an alarming rate myself even after my lukewarm initial reaction.

Well I eventually decided to accept the ridiculousness and just have fun with it.

cobl04, I take it you watched Pitchfork's Soft Bulletin documentary recently? I watched it last night and was pretty wowed at all that went into that album, both creatively and emotionally. I also had never, ever heard the "Spiderbite Song" since I had downloaded the UK release of the album, unknowingly, back in 2005. Great tune (although I do think the UK listeners probably had the better bargain since they got "Slow Motion").

BigMacPhisto said:
cobl04, I take it you watched Pitchfork's Soft Bulletin documentary recently? I watched it last night and was pretty wowed at all that went into that album, both creatively and emotionally. I also had never, ever heard the "Spiderbite Song" since I had downloaded the UK release of the album, unknowingly, back in 2005. Great tune (although I do think the UK listeners probably had the better bargain since they got "Slow Motion").

Yeah, my big ass response to it is in the random thread. I loved every second. Gotta say I like Spiderbite/Heroin Junkie more than Slow Motion though.

15. Casa del Mirto - 1979 (3)
Missed the publicity of other big releases but well worth checking out if you're into fucking the maggot-infested corpse of chillwave. "Killer Haze" is one of the best songs of the year.

14. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Belong (3)
I like the 90s and I like this album.

13. Destroyer - Kaputt (3)
Not much more need be said, just a great album.

12. The War On Drugs - Slave Ambient (4)
A steady, lyrical album with super highs.

11. Bon Iver - Bon Iver (4)
Beth/Rest is utterly horrid, but the rest more than makes up for it. Perth, Towers and Calgary are all beautiful.

10. Kanye & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne (5)
Straight up fun, a colourful album that finally turned me over to Kanye.

9. Washed Out - Within and Without (5)
Like drifting down a river passing towering canyons and mountains, the kinda album that makes your problems seem like not even a thing.

8. Beirut - The Riptide (6)
A beautiful forest of an album.

7. Cut Copy - Zonoscope (6)
Initially I was disappointed in it as a followup to IGC, but in its own right it's a fantastic record, another loveletter to city nightlife.

6. The Antlers - Burst Apart (8)
The most perfectly bittersweet album of the year, both harsh and cold and compassionate and warm.

5. TV On the Radio - Nine Types of Light (8)
Full of wonderful songs and refuses to lag.

4. Okkervil River - I Am Very Far (9)
Their most condensed, consistant album yet, a shoo-in solely for the power of the last quartet of tracks.

3. Girls - Father Son Holy Ghost (11)
Basically everything you ever liked about rock music.

2. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming (12)
Any double album that you can listen to in full without reaching for a noose deserves my utmost respect. Man, there are a lot of killer tracks on here.

1. Neon Indian - Era Extrana (13)
Initially I was suprised when I decided to place it this high, but anyone who's talked to me within the past year wouldn't be. For someone who grew up to 16-bit sounds, it's the perfect mixture of freshness and nostalgia, another fantastic pop album full of sound and colour.

with apologies to

St. Vincent -Strange Mercy
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
DJ Quik - The Book of David
Iron & Wine -Kiss Each Other Clean
The Mountain Goats -All Eternals Deck
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology

1. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming - 15 points
2. Destroyer - Kaputt -12 points
3. Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver - 10 points
4. The Antlers - Burst Apart - 10 points
5. The Decemberists - The King is Dead - 9 points
6. The Field - Looping State of Mind - 9 points
7. Yuck - Yuck - 8 points
8. Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo - 7 points
9. The Drums - Portamento - 5 points
10. Ryan Adams - Ashes and Fire - 4 points
11. The Horrors - Skying - 4 points
12. TV On The Radio - Nine Types of Light - 3 points
13. The Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck - 2 points
14. Blue Sky Black Death - NOIR - 1 point
15. Telekinesis - 12 Desperate Straight Lines - 1point

I'll do honorable mentions and songs later, sorry for the hold up. Id planned to finish this tomorrow, but this will have to suffice.

Nice list, Peefster. I'm happy to see a handful of us listed Mogwai, glad I'm not the only one still fanboying for them. :wink:

Hurry up with your list, Bonoz2012. By the way, are you happy it's finally your year?

Oh yes. And 2/12/12 is my first anniversary too.

Back
Top Bottom