B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only 13 and I feel like 2020 was more active than 2019 overall. Granted, I'm not sure what the counts were from previous polls. I'm not THE HISTORIAN.

I was expecting at least two more lists, based on the number of participants in this thread in general. I was also surprised by how many I received in the end.

32. Run the Jewels - RTJ4 (9 points, 2 votes; Highest value 5)

I was just thinking about RTJ that I feel like I should like them, but I just find them okay. It comes down to Killer Mike - I just don't think he has a good flow. Does anyone else feel that way?

20. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud (18 points, 2 votes; Highest Value: 13)
19. Rina Sawayama - Sawayama (20 points, 2 votes; Highest Value: 15)
18. Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia (21 points, 3 votes; Highest Value 12)
17. The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You (22 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 8)
16. Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor (22 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 13)
15. Porridge Radio - Every Bad (23 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 12)
14. Haim - Women in Music Pt. III (23 points, 5 votes; Highest Value 10)
13. The Strokes - The New Abnormal (24 points, 3 votes; Highest Value 12)
12. Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas (26 points, 3 votes; Highest Value 11)
11. Destroyer - Have We Met (27 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 14)

Last edited:
I was just thinking about RTJ that I feel like I should like them, but I just find them okay. It comes down to Killer Mike - I just don't think he has a good flow. Does anyone else feel that way?

I kinda get what you mean. I think he sometimes gets in his own way trying to go too hard.

I was really expecting to love their new record, because I'm one of (what feels like) the few people who thought RTJ3 was their best LP. But it didn't quite do it for me. I didn't give it a lot of time, either though.

I'll be honest, too, in general, Killer Mike's been annoying the shit out of me lately with some of his odd interview missteps around gun control (I know at least once he was misquoted, though. I should probably do a bit more research).

Fleet_Foxes_-_Shore_-_Art.webp

10. Fleet Foxes - Shore (29 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 10)

"Now THIS is what I was hoping for with Crack-Up. This feels like a better continuation from Helplessness Blues for sure." - The Tourist
"The mad lads did it again. They just don't miss." - LemonMelon
"It's so good. I really love it. Maybe a tad less experimental than Crack Up, but more atmospheric and transcendental. " - Gump
"They're so fucking soft. Twee bullshit. Sorry." - GAF
"Is "Jara" a tribute to U2?" - Cobl04

Taylor_Swift_-_Evermore.png

09. Taylor Swift - evermore (31 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 12)

"Taylor strikes again." - Phanan
"God I hate this thread title" - GAF
"I'll rain on this parade by admitting I have never heard a TS album. In fact, I literally could not hum a single one of her songs for you if asked.

These two from 2020 have me curious." - Laz
"I'm getting sick of this trend of lowercase album and song titles though." - Cobl04

So both of Taylor's 7/10 indie cosplay albums are gonna be on here huh

Last edited:
Set_My_Heart_on_Fire_Immediately_Perfume_Genius.webp

08. Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately (32 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 13)

"Charli and Perfume Genius DELIVERED. No disappointment in sight. " - LemonMelon

And then several of you had it on your mid-year top tens, but y'all did not talk about this album at all.

I had hopes for St Cloud to do better.

Also pretty surprised that forever B&C favorite Destroyer is outside the top 10.

Last edited:
how-im-feeling-now.jpg

07. Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now (33 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 15)

"Extremely random question: would you alphabetize Charli XCX under C or X?" - Iron Yuppie
"My system is so strange. I categorise Nick Cave under N, but David Bowie under B" - Cobl04
"I alphabetize all of my playlists by artists and iTunes and Spotify playlists alphabetize Charli XCX under "C"." - U2inUtah
"Do you really consider Pop more of a last name than XCX? Or would you file Charli under X?" - bono_212
"Pop is certainly more a name than XCX, that to me seems more like roman numeral (don't follow her so honestly don't know the meaning behind it)." - Hewson
"My favorite song on the latest Charli XCX is "enemy". Love that chorus. Banger." - GAF
"Every song on Charli's new album is a banger. I think it's my most played album this year." - LemonMelon

07. Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now (33 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 15)

"Extremely random question: would you alphabetize Charli XCX under C or X?" - Iron Yuppie
"My system is so strange. I categorise Nick Cave under N, but David Bowie under B" - Cobl04
"I alphabetize all of my playlists by artists and iTunes and Spotify playlists alphabetize Charli XCX under "C"." - U2inUtah

Lol this is brilliant.

I had hopes for St Cloud to do better.

Also pretty surprised that forever B&C favorite Destroyer is outside the top 10.
I'm kinda surprised Destroyer made it at all. Nobody talked about it until people started submitting lists.

Like we were saying in here the other day, pre-pandemic 2020 albums feel like they came out a decade ago.

I'm kinda surprised Destroyer made it at all. Nobody talked about it until people started submitting lists.

Like we were saying in here the other day, pre-pandemic 2020 albums feel like they came out a decade ago.

Yeah. I don’t remember really which albums we talked about other than Taylor, Fiona and A Girl Called Eddie.

Cue Synthesizer is one of my favorite songs this year. Crimson Tide is not far behind.

Sorry. I will only say positive things from now on.

The indie-cosplay thing is one of the worst takes I’ve read all year. I almost commented the same thing when you first posted it. Sorry.

The indie-cosplay thing is one of the worst takes I’ve read all year. I almost commented the same thing when you first posted it. Sorry.
You can feel free to quote me if you have an issue, I'm right here and won't be mad [emoji38]

(I know you meant Zola)

Silver_Tongue_Torres.webp

06. Torres - Silver Tongue (34 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 15)

"Thoughts on the new Torres record? I really love it. It’s the first new album so far this year that I’ve had on repeat. Might be her best work to date." - Joey788

" I’m really enjoying both new songs she has released. Happy that she’s making good music after the record label troubles she had to face.

Three Futures still remains such an under appreciated album. I hope she gets some recognition with the new one. " - Gump (Pre-Album release)

"I love it. I thought Three Futures was great, and this one goes in the same direction with a more polished and refined sound (particularly compared to her first two records). Dressing America is so gorgeous " - Gump (Post-Album Release)

To be fair (with Zola Jesus) she went into great pains to explain that she didn’t mean that as a criticism against Taylor so much as one against the industry itself. But I hear you on the negativity, and I really don’t want to detract from people enjoying that record (I do too).

61KFHmC4kwL._AC_SY355_.jpg

05. A Girl Called Eddy - Been Here (57 points, 7 votes; Highest Value 15)

"I've never heard of A Girl Called Eddy before, but this new album is my fucking shit and I think this is already my song of the decade." - Bono_212, 02-02-2020, 12:22 AM [I'm going to blame my broken YouTube link in the comment for why no one listened to Jody before LemonMelon put it on his DI list ;) )

"I listened to it and will definitely buy it... some tracks felt a bit on-the-nose, but there's enough good to make me go back. Aside from Jody, which is spectacular, I really enjoyed Finest Actor and NY Man." - Cobl04

"LM's inclusion of "Jody" on his DI list turned me onto this album. I do think it falls off a bit towards the end, but the opening trio of "Been Around", "Big Mouth", and "Jody" is killer, and "Not That Sentimental Anymore" and "Two Hearts" are also great. Love the warm, jazzy sound the album is infused with, and her voice is very pleasant. A good discovery. " - namkcuR

" Well, I've just listened to A Girl Called Eddy and it would have definitely made my list if I had not yet submitted it. What a fun album. There are so many different influences all over the place that I don't know how it came out as a cohesive piece. " - Gump

(Yes, we didn't have significant discussion about #5 on this list until we actually got to the end of the year list thread)

I'm biased, but A Girl Called Eddy is the best storyline here.

16 years off. No music.

Immediately rockets from obscurity to U2 INTERFERENCE BANG AND CLATTER TOP 5 FOR 2020.

I kinda get what you mean. I think he sometimes gets in his own way trying to go too hard.

I was really expecting to love their new record, because I'm one of (what feels like) the few people who thought RTJ3 was their best LP. But it didn't quite do it for me. I didn't give it a lot of time, either though.

I'll be honest, too, in general, Killer Mike's been annoying the shit out of me lately with some of his odd interview missteps around gun control (I know at least once he was misquoted, though. I should probably do a bit more research).

I understand his take on gun control (a way for black people to protect themselves against tyranny and white supremacy) even if I don't agree with it. I find some of his views confronting, but I like that he is always fully himself and always starting conversations. He's a legend.

With regards to RJT, I just find their music kind of passes me by. Like it hasn't really evolved or changed that much since the first record, and their sound is pretty monotonous. I enjoy it, but nowhere near enough to include it in a list. So it's nothing to do with Killer Mike, who I think is a tremendously good rapper, and has been for a very, very long time - "Y'all wanna say you miss when hip-hop was rapping? Motherfucker if you did, Killer Mike'd be platinum" - but all of it.

Sorry. I will only say positive things from now on.

Don't, that's boring.

Yeah. I don’t remember really which albums we talked about other than Taylor, Fiona and A Girl Called Eddie.

Cue Synthesizer is one of my favorite songs this year. Crimson Tide is not far behind.

Are you fucking kidding me? I've got several detailed posts on this one page alone! https://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/destroyer-kaputt-aka-nsw-nevar-forget-209068-19.html

I try my best around here, more than most!!!

I'm biased, but A Girl Called Eddy is the best storyline here.

16 years off. No music.

Immediately rockets from obscurity to U2 INTERFERENCE BANG AND CLATTER TOP 5 FOR 2020.

It's awesome, and whilst LM is getting the credit, I'm very happy to give you the credit Ashley. What a great story. I might try and get in touch with her (she responds on social media) and let her know about the strange little fandom she has on a nearly-dead U2 forum.

What%25u2019s_Your_Pleasure.webp

03. Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (62 points, 6 votes; Highest Value 15)

" I think this Jessie Ware album is my favorite so far in 2020. " - U2inUtah [It was}

"I think you're right." - bono_212 [It did not make my top 15]

"The new Jessie Ware album is incredible and instantly catapults into the top 5 of a stacked year. It's like if Prince put out a late 80s/early 90s house album." - LemonMelon

"Listened to it once and thought it sounded phenomenal. Definitely one that's going to get a lot of play." - Jerry Dunk

It's awesome, and whilst LM is getting the credit, I'm very happy to give you the credit Ashley. What a great story. I might try and get in touch with her (she responds on social media) and let her know about the strange little fandom she has on a nearly-dead U2 forum.

Maybe leave out the nearly-dead part.

Back
Top Bottom