B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ashley, I also liked the Best Coast album. Enough to spring for the signed deluxe vinyl edition.

I’m on my phone and I’m not going to quote all of Ashley’s post, but not including the bonus tracks from the again album would mean getting rid of Summer Girl, which would probably reduce its quality by half that song is so damned good.

Also, R U Talkin’ Talking Heads to my Talking Head?

If you haven’t been following the podcast it’s worth it, assuming you’re down with Adam Scott Auckerman’s brand of humor.

Nice list, bono212.

Good to see someone else mention The Weeknd. It was one of my most listened to of the year. Also agree with you on Caribou, Best Coast and Kaskade (which I think I first checked out bc you had mentioned it earlier this year)

I really liked that Caribou record when it came out and then I just forgot about it.

I really liked that Caribou record when it came out and then I just forgot about it.

I think what you said about Torres applies here as well. It was one of those pre-lockdown albums that now feels like it was released 5 years ago.

I think what you said about Torres applies here as well. It was one of those pre-lockdown albums that now feels like it was released 5 years ago.

Absolutely. I have vague memories of listening to that album in the subway on my way to work. A different world.

Glad to hear Deep Sea Diver’s Impossible Weight got album of the year as voted on by KEXP listeners. They’re one of the best kept secrets in music these days.

I am finally going to listen to this. It's queued up next after I finally relisten to The Killer's newest. I didn't get back to it before I finalized my list...having some regrets.

Albums
5. Tim Heidecker – Fear of Death (11)

Oh shit, forgot all about this. I listened to the lead single and was super into it.

Does the Gorillaz album have anything even close to as good as Feel Good Inc (or even Sweepstakes or Stylo or Empire Ants)? The huge tracklist, bulk collaborators and iterative nature of it have put me off.

Few bands are ever going to have the benefit of writing two songs in their career as good as "Feel Good Inc". But I'll agree, Aries is close.

I feel the same way about that album as I do about Avalanches: You could turn it on at a party and have it go from start to finish and never need to do any playlist creating. It's a little all over the place, but it's a party and a half of fun.

Always Tomorrow - Best Coast

Ashley, I also liked the Best Coast album. Enough to spring for the signed deluxe vinyl edition.

I'm glad to see, now that I've gone back and read all of the lists more closely, that a couple people mentioned it in their honorables. I think it's their best record. After it was over, I said that I think they finally found their sound after years of playing around with who it was they wanted to be, and it's the Bangles/GoGos mixed just a bit with indie surf pop. . I can live with that.

I’m on my phone and I’m not going to quote all of Ashley’s post, but not including the bonus tracks from the again album would mean getting rid of Summer Girl, which would probably reduce its quality by half that song is so damned good.

Also, R U Talkin’ Talking Heads to my Talking Head?

If you haven’t been following the podcast it’s worth it, assuming you’re down with Adam Scott Auckerman’s brand of humor.

Yeah, I get that. It's just taken me some time to shake the idea of a bonus track being something that doesn't come on every version of an album. Plus, why call it a bonus track? It feels to me like, by doing so, the artist doesn't want it included in the concept of the album as a whole. But whatever. I'm not them, and I'm not going to skip the last three tracks of Women in Music.

I haven't listened to that podcast or the U2 one for any other reason that I just don't listen to many podcasts. I should probably check it out. I used to listen to podcasts on my commute, but...well....2020.

Nice list, bono212.

Good to see someone else mention The Weeknd. It was one of my most listened to of the year. Also agree with you on Caribou, Best Coast and Kaskade (which I think I first checked out bc you had mentioned it earlier this year)

Thanks! I just heard the Caribou album a few days ago, so it had a boost there. I agree with Gump, it's ever so slightly forgettable, part of why I couldn't place it much higher than where it ended up on my list (#24, for those wondering).

I'm glad I was able to get someone else to check out that Kaskade record! He's not easy to recommend to people, because you just expect pop EDM and I get that. But this is certainly not like much of his other work.

That Weeknd album fell a little for me, but there's still enough great singles on it to make it really stand out. I think if it weren't for the lock down and I'd been able to go out and do more, I'd've liked it more. It's the kind of album I would've listened to at the gym, for example.

I'm glad I was able to get someone else to check out that Kaskade record! He's not easy to recommend to people, because you just expect pop EDM and I get that. But this is certainly not like much of his other work.

What's funny is I know almost nothing about Kaskade except this record, despite him being like the only cool person that attended my same university, (well besides u2popmofo), but yeah I found it great to listen to late at night to calm me from all the shit going on in 2020.

What's funny is I know almost nothing about Kaskade except this record, despite him being like the only cool person that attended my same university, (well besides u2popmofo), but yeah I found it great to listen to late at night to calm me from all the shit going on in 2020.

He's my favorite of the really popular artists you'd see headlining EDC.

These are my two favorite songs of his, you'll see why I was saying that the album you heard isn't indicative of his usual sound at all haha:

These are both also much older songs of his. I'm not sure what his more current stuff sounds like. He released a Christmas album a couple years ago and it was....not good. I've kinda avoided his newer music since then. Part of why I was glad I gave the new LP a spin, despite my general misgivings.

The man's not wrong. I'm surprised this wasn't a hit around these parts. Seems right up Interference's alley.

Yeah, I’ve been mentioning her stuff here and there for years. I think most people only listened to the song I put on my desert island list. Haha!

Yeah, I’ve been mentioning her stuff here and there for years. I think most people only listened to the song I put on my desert island list. Haha!

I wasn't quite feeling it at first, but everything after the Sharon Van Etten song was legit.

Finally done.

Sometimes I feel so out of step with B&C; this is a top 15 that doesn't include Fetch The Bolt Cutters, but does include Alanis Morissette and Norah Jones's albums, both of which I think you guys are barely aware exist, high up.

Anyway, I got through most of what I wanted to get through. There are some other albums I could've listened to, but I got to a point where the list just needed to be done. Here goes...

Top 15:

1. Torres - Silver Tongue(15)

I got into her with Three Futures, and the #1 spot has been Silver Tongue's to lose since it came out. I just think she's really unique, given her slightly off-kilter-yet-emotive voice, memorable-yet-unusual melodies, and cutting, sort of minimalist guitar work. No one else sounds quite like her. I really don't know why she isn't on more lists, but I sincerely hope my giving her the full 15 points pushes her up a spot or two.

2. Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks In The Road(10)

This one seems to have flown over everyone's heads. Admittedly I haven't really kept up with her stuff over the last ~15 years, but I've always been a fan - she's the real thing. This is a surprisingly heavy album in terms of emotional content and atmosphere. It's frontloaded with singles, which imo are the weaker tracks, but from track 5 - "Missing The Miracle" - it picks up big time. Key tracks are that one, "Losing The Plot", "Reckoning", Nemesis", and the closer "Pedestal"(my favorite of the bunch). I encourage you guys to give it a shot(but don't expect Jagged Little Pill, because this isn't that; outside of the singles, it's not really radio music at all).

3. Norah Jones - Pick Me Up Off The Floor(10)

I was the only one who had Jones' 2016 album "Day Breaks" on my list that year, and I'll be the only one to have this one on my list this year as well. After her excursions into country/rock, "Day Breaks" was her return to her jazz-pop roots, and this record continues that. She is so very good at that.

Key tracks include "Hurts To Be Alone", "Say No More", "This Life", "Heaven Above", and "Were You Watching?".

That last one - "Were You Watching?" - in particular is one of the songs of the year for me. It's brooding and captivating, repetitive like a mantra as it builds up to this crescendo about 2:40 in that has a bunch of different vocal layers and it's one of the musical moments of the year for me.

4. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush(8)

I know some people were disappointed with this, but I actually like it better than Currents. Just really enjoyable, warm dance music. I still miss the Lonerism-era psychedelic stuff, but oh well. "Borderline" is a jam.

5. Fleet Foxes - Shore(8)

For me, it's a big improvement over their last one. It is beautifully atmospheric and evocative, but it's also just a warmer record than the last one. It's good record to just relax and close your eyes to.

6. The Avalanches - We Will Always Love You(8)

This was a fun record, but it's just too long. It's 71 minutes and 25 tracks - yeah, some of those tracks are interludes, but still. I could probably cut it down to the 12 or 13 tracks I want to listen to again and have a tighter, more consistent, less bloated album. Despite this, the good is good enough to get it this high.

The whole opening run is very strong, especially the MGMT feature "The Divine Chord" and "Interstellar", and "Reflecting Light". The use of The Alan Parson Project's "Eye In The Sky" in "Interstellar" is one of my favorite samples in a long while. That excited me more than it should have.

"Oh The Sunn!" with JA's Perry Ferrell and "We Go On", which sounds like an anime soundtrack and is a favorite of mine, make a nice one-two punch.

The Kurt Vile track, "Gold Sky", is maybe the best thing on the album. That is a HELL of a groove on that track.

"Running Red Lights" and "Music Is The Light" are also good.

One of the most sonically exciting albums of the year, just a shame it wasn't trimmed of its fat a little more.

7. Pearl Jam - Gigaton(7)

I haven't really dug much of their studio output since Binaural, maybe Riot Act, so I didn't expect to like this that much. But this is the best record they've put out in a long time. "Quick Escape", "Seven O'Clock", "Comes Then Goes", "Retrogade", and "River Cross" are all great tracks. I appreciate the fact that it's not just more of the meat-and-potatoes grungy rock that they can do in their sleep; it's a bit of a different sound for them, and I like it.

8. Taylor Swift - Evermore(7)
9. Taylor Swift - Folklore(7)

I was never a big fan of hers up to this point - I think the only song of hers that I would've actively sought out to listen was "I Knew You Were Trouble". My interest in Folklore was somewhat piqued when the first single was a Bon Iver feature, but I still never got around listening to the full album. But once Evermore came out, everybody was talking about both of them and they were getting good review from people here, so I gave them a shot and, imo, they are clearly the best work of her career thus far. There's a more mature sonic aesthetic here that I appreciate, removed from the mainstream pop and country she's always been known for. The instrumentation is just really warm, from the guitars to the keyboards to the strings(and even occasional horns?), it all just washes over me in a really pleasant way. It's very well produced. I certainly wasn't expecting this from her.

A ton of great tracks across both albums; for me, highlights include "The 1", "Last American Dynasty", "Excile", "My Tears Ricochet", "This Is My Trying", "Illicit Affairs", "Invisible String", and "Betty" from Folklore, and "Champagne Problems", "Gold Rush", "Tis The Damn Season", "No Body, No Crime", "Happiness", "Dorothea", "Cowboy Like Me", and "Evermore" from Evermore.

10. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher(7)

This was my introduction to her, and while I don't love the record quite as much as some of you, I do like it. "Kyoto" gives me major Bowie/Heroes vibes, and that's always a good thing; the strings in "Chinese Satellite" are pretty; the lyrics/vocal in "Moon Song" are strangely captivating; the vocal harmonies in "Graceland Too" are gorgeous; and the climax of "I Know The End" is a phenomenal, "wow" way to end a record. She's some to keep an eye on.

11. A Girl Called Eddy - Been Around(6)

LM's inclusion of "Jody" on his DI list turned me onto this album. I do think it falls off a bit towards the end, but the opening trio of "Been Around", "Big Mouth", and "Jody" is killer, and "Not That Sentimental Anymore" and "Two Hearts" are also great. Love the warm, jazzy sound the album is infused with, and her voice is very pleasant. A good discovery.

12. Monophonics - It's Only Us(4)

LM also recommended this in one of the Random Music threads, and I dug it a lot. Love the funk sound, the Mayfield influence, all of it. Was a bit surprised it didn't make his top 15.

13. Paul McCartney - McCartney III(1)
14. Bob Dylan - Rough And Rowdy Ways(1)
15. Bruce Springsteen - Letter To You(1)

For these three, I'm of the mind that I don't want to take these guys for granted. Macca and Dylan are pushing 80, and Bruce is in his early 70s, and you just never know how much longer they'll be around. Any album they put out could be their last. So even if McCartney's album isn't his best and sounds very McCartney-ish, it's still enjoyable front-to-back and there are a few great tracks, imo. "Women And Wives", "The Kiss Of Venus", "Seize The Day", and "Deep Down" are all worthy additions to the McCartney canon imo, and show his melodic gifts still giving to us. I actually think some of you guys have been a bit too dismissive of the record.

Same thing for Bruce - "Janey Needs A Shooter", "The Power Of Prayer", "House Of A Thousand Guitars"(I know that one got flack around here, but I'm in the minority because I like it a lot), "If I Was The Priest", and "Song For Orphans" are all worthwhile additions to his catalogue(I know three of them are from way back in the day).

Dylan's album is getting great reviews, and it's kind of inspiring to see him still putting out quality work this late into his career.

LM said in his review of "Letter To You" - back when the album came out - that "Letter To You made me grateful that we still have Bruce Springsteen". That's kind of how I feel about these three albums. I'm really trying to consciously appreciate that these guys, these giants, these legends, are still here and still putting out stuff I'd want to listen to. I'm grateful that we still have Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, and Bruce Springsteen.

HMs:

Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bold Cutters

I join Ashley and Tourist in the dissenting opinion about the album. It's an interesting album and I'm sure lyrically I'd get more out of it I actually sat down and read the lyrics, but it's pretty melodically bare to my ears. I have a ton of respect for Fiona, and I've enjoyed some of her albums in the past, and it's not that this one is bad by any means, but I just don't get the unending praise it's getting in here. I'm a bit perplexed by it.

Ryan Adams - Wednesdays

This album kind of flew under the radar, I think because a lot of people and publications don't want to touch it after the revelations about him. But I think you have to separate art from artist. That said, the album is decent, not close to his best, but solid-but-not-great songwriting throughout, just not enough to get in the top 15. The opening track, however - "I'm Sorry And I Love You" - is one of the best songs of the year. Big time Imagine-era Lennon influence in the production, and Neil Young-influence in the vocal, and a beautiful melody. It's dreamlike. If the rest of the album were like that, it'd be near the top for me. Seriously, if nothing else, listen to this song:

Angel Olsen - Whole New Mess

It's great, but it's a new version of an album from 2019, so I wouldn't feel right putting it in the top 15 for 2020. Plus, I prefer the original All Mirrors album anyway.

Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension

I agree with everyone that this isn't Sufjan's best, but it's sonically interesting enough that I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that more may be revealed on further listens. There are some good tracks here - "Make Me An Offer I Can't Refuse" is maybe the most typically Sufjan-ish song here; "Landslide" has some nice guitar work; the closing triumvirate of "Sugar", "The Ascension", and "America" is nice. As a whole, a lot of this album strikes as sort of a less interesting Passengers record. Maybe it'll grow on me, but even if not, at least it's got a few tracks I want to keep coming back to.

Biggest Disappointment:
Lady Gaga - Chromatica

I love her Joanne album and the A Star Is Born soundtrack and was hoping she'd continue in that direction; instead she's regressed to more overproduced dance-pop.

Last edited:
You don't find Ted Bundy to be cool?

Ha I meant the other university he attended, whose famous alumni include Mittens, Ken Jennings, the lady who wrote the Twilight books, Napoleon Dynamite, and members of Imagine Dragons and Neon Trees. All definitely not cool.

Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bold Cutters

I join Ashley and Tourist in the dissenting opinion about the album. It's an interesting album and I'm sure lyrically I'd get more out of it I actually sat down and read the lyrics, but it's pretty melodically bare to my ears. I have a ton of respect for Fiona, and I've enjoyed some of her albums in the past, and it's not that this one is bad by any means, but I just don't get the unending praise it's getting in here. I'm a bit perplexed by it.

I don't think it's the once-in-a-generation, 10/10, game-changing record many seem to think it is. Not musically (I can see where people are coming from, but it doesn't excite me that much) and not lyrically - while there are some impressive bits of lyrics here and there (Drumset's "good morning, good morning / you raped me in the same bed your daughter was born in" is the big standout) I don't think it does anything super exciting or groundbreaking or transgressive in its lyricism.

But it's still really high on my list because it's just a really fucking good album. It's enjoyable, I think it's quite catchy, the lyrics are lived-in, caustic, often funny, which elevates my enjoyment of it, and there's just some fucking really great songs on it.

Well, I think it is that good. [emoji57] But to each their own.

Talking about overrated, it looks like Phoebe Bridgers is going to win this. That's a really good but dime-a-dozen indie rock album.

Last edited:
To be clear, I am including namkcuR's list in the finals. If anyone else has a list, please submit by the end of the night (let's say the next five hours). I need to spend some time double checking the numbers to make sure I didn't make a mistake anywhere... As has happened so many times to all of us that have run any kind of these events in the past.

Jesus....this is why we check the work. There was an error in my Excel formula that completely flipped around the top ten I thought I'd be unveiling :ohmy:.

74c81fb9-21d7-47b6-ab68-3048923eec21.jpeg

It's a young decade, but if I had to guess by the time we are doing best of 2020s lists, Fetch the Bolt Cutters will be as easy a call to include in the top-5 as MBDTF was for the 2010s.

Alright folks.

Settle in.

I'm doing one last double-check because I can't let this go :lol:. But I'm basically ready.

Let's start off with some statistics (I stole most of these from Jerry Dunk)!

Number of Participants: 13
Number of Suggested Albums: 109
Albums Receiving Only One Vote: 78
Most Votes without Making Top 30: 4
15 Point/1-Vote albums: 2 (Deep Sea Diver - Impossible Weight; Nicolas Jaar - Cenizas)

And with that...I'll be back in about 10 minutes.

EDIT: I found a mistake. There are 109 albums, not 110. This effects nothing but I didn't want to leave incorrect info. :doh:.

Last edited:
Only 13??

:|

This place has truly become a graveyard.

I almost gave 15 points to the Cornershop album and would have been listed with the other 1-vote wonders (assuming no one else mentioned it), but I ultimately shaved some off to make a couple more serious contenders stronger.

Only 13 and I feel like 2020 was more active than 2019 overall. Granted, I'm not sure what the counts were from previous polls. I'm not THE HISTORIAN.

30. Bruce Springsteen - Letter to You (9 points, 3 votes; Highest Value: 6)
29. The Weeknd - After Hours (11 points, 3 votes; Highest Value: 4)
28. Moses Sumney - Græ (13 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 10)
27. Doves - The Universal Want (14 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 10)
26. Pearl Jam - Gigaton (15 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 8)
25. Adrienne Lenker - Songs (15 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 10)
24. Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B (16 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 13)
23. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush (17 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 9)
22. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene (17 points, 2 votes; Highest Value 10)
21. Soccer Mommy - color theory (17 points, 3 votes; Highest Value 10)

The three albums that did not make the list, but received more than 1 vote are:
31. Tennis - Swimmer (9 points, 2 votes; Highest value 6)
32. Run the Jewels - RTJ4 (9 points, 2 votes; Highest value 5)
33. Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways (6 points, 4 votes; Highest Value 3)

Back
Top Bottom