B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's Erin Moran, moron.

erinmorandead.jpg

Taylor appearing twice in B&C's top 10 is a personal victory for GAF after years of spotlighting her music here to little traction and deserved a drunken celebratory rant.
Haha thanks, I honestly do feel a bit vindicated in a weird way.

Here's to more good music in 2021.

14) The American Frontier - Memories ~ 2 point

I'm not going to lie, I struggled with putting this on the list, because I'm afraid it will come off as pandering, but I legit loved this album. Really great stuff Tourist, and I hope, very much, that more people hear it and this really takes off for you. You also wrote one of my favorite songs this year.

The American Frontier - "Through The Mirror"

Because I don’t think I said this before: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Well, I finally fucking did it, I finished my list of my favourite music of 2020. It seems like I didn't do this in 2018 or 2019 (it ends up feeling like such a chore sadly, wish I could find a way around that) but here it is. LM, I enjoyed reading your list a lot, and your punchy paragraphs inspired me to get this done (dunno how the hell you did 50 though).

https://ramblingsfromdjp.wordpress.com/2021/02/21/my-favourite-music-of-2020/

Would love it if people could let me know their thoughts if you give it a read :)

Now I finally can move on, and start listening to music without thinking about a list lol. Will listen to your record Tourist.

Well, I finally fucking did it, I finished my list of my favourite music of 2020. It seems like I didn't do this in 2018 or 2019 (it ends up feeling like such a chore sadly, wish I could find a way around that) but here it is. LM, I enjoyed reading your list a lot, and your punchy paragraphs inspired me to get this done (dunno how the hell you did 50 though).

Would love it if people could let me know their thoughts if you give it a read :)

Now I finally can move on, and start listening to music without thinking about a list lol. Will listen to your record Tourist.

<3 <3 <3

I appreciate the comments about the little flourishes on I Know the End that take it above and beyond. Phoebe reminds me of Sufjan and Beach House in that regard: she has a knack for subtleties that reveal themselves over multiple lessons. There's a moment on Kyoto like that, where on the second verse she adds a vocal layer in the background with a different inflection that totally lifts the mood.

Thanks, iYup :) I take LM's point about it being just a solid indie rock/folk record that is perhaps a little bewilderingly getting more attention and love than it maybe deserves, but I do think that's down to two things; one, the little flourishes right across the record that pique interest and two, her infectious personality. Those things elevate much of the record above itself, if that makes sense.

I'm glad my ludicrously overlong 50 album list inspired more writing! I've been trying to be less lazy about my lists because I think people really do respond well to capsule reviews and it's easy to gloss over recommendations when they aren't justified.

her infectious personality

This is definitely true. I think I told this story already, but I was indifferent to the album until I heard an interview with her explaining its genesis. That context and the wry, self-deprecating way she delivered it was a game-changer.

She's really having a moment right now. You can barely find any of her special vinyl editions for under $150, with some going for as much as $500 - speaking of which, if anyone has a copy of the "mystery blue" Stranger in the Alps variant they are looking to sell, I'm your man.

Goddamn, wish I hadn't dropped off the face of Interference as this must be the first time in a decade I didn't contribute to our year-end countdown.

Not that it would've made a difference outside one album: my vote would have probably got Soccer Mommy into 10th, definitely 11th.

I did actually settle on an order too:

1. Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou: May Our Chambers Be Full
2. The Luxembourg Signal: The Long Now
3. Soccer Mommy: Color Theory
4. Empathy Test: Monsters
5. Hum: Inlet
6. Purity Ring: Womb
7. I Like Trains: Kompromat
8. Sleepmakeswaves: These Are Not Your Dreams
9. Cable Ties: Far Enough
10. Phoxjaw: Royal Swan
11. Mint Julep: Stray Fantasies
12. Health: Disco4 Part I
13. Myrkur: Folkesange
14. Pure Reason Revolution: Eupnea
15. Stay Inside: Viewing

If Sleepmakeswaves and/or Health had been ruled ineligible as technically compilations, then I would've submitted:

16. Neànder: Eremit
17. Young Ejecta: Ride Lonesome

Goddamn, wish I hadn't dropped off the face of Interference as this must be the first time in a decade I didn't contribute to our year-end countdown.

Not that it would've made a difference outside one album: my vote would have probably got Soccer Mommy into 10th, definitely 11th.

I did actually settle on an order too:

1. Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou: May Our Chambers Be Full
2. The Luxembourg Signal: The Long Now
3. Soccer Mommy: Color Theory
4. Empathy Test: Monsters
5. Hum: Inlet
6. Purity Ring: Womb
7. I Like Trains: Kompromat
8. Sleepmakeswaves: These Are Not Your Dreams
9. Cable Ties: Far Enough
10. Phoxjaw: Royal Swan
11. Mint Julep: Stray Fantasies
12. Health: Disco4 Part I
13. Myrkur: Folkesange
14. Pure Reason Revolution: Eupnea
15. Stay Inside: Viewing

If Sleepmakeswaves and/or Health had been ruled ineligible as technically compilations, then I would've submitted:

16. Neànder: Eremit
17. Young Ejecta: Ride Lonesome

I always enjoy your suggestions. I'll check these out.

I recall I did some side calculations for fun, based on the list you posted earlier in the thread, and I know your list would've had at least some major impact, probably the one you pointed out: Soccer Mommy.

EDIT: I went and checked, it's that Purity Ring would've made the list, if you'd submitted. Tourist was the only one that had it on theirs, so it wasn't eligible.

Last edited:
I always enjoy your suggestions. I'll check these out.

Cheers. :up:

I think you're most likely to get something out of Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou, Hum, and Phoxjaw, at least if you're feeling the heavier stuff at the moment.

I recall I did some side calculations for fun, based on the list you posted earlier in the thread, and I know your list would've had at least some major impact, probably the one you pointed out: Soccer Mommy.

EDIT: I went and checked, it's that Purity Ring would've made the list, if you'd submitted. Tourist was the only one that had it on theirs, so it wasn't eligible.

I think I'd have given Purity Ring around 8 points, so would it have made enough of a difference to get a reasonable spot?

Cheers. :up:

I think you're most likely to get something out of Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou, Hum, and Phoxjaw, at least if you're feeling the heavier stuff at the moment.

I think I'd have given Purity Ring around 8 points, so would it have made enough of a difference to get a reasonable spot?

Awesome thanks! Yeah my preference has gotten even heavier than it was the last time we chatted, haha.

Would have had 14 points, so tied for 27th.

Well, at least my non-appearance didn't deny it too high a place then.

Awesome thanks! Yeah my preference has gotten even heavier than it was the last time we chatted, haha.

In that case, you might also want to check out Thou's split with Ragana from a couple of years ago. I can't believe it took me until like November last year to hear it. Ragana's tracks rule, and then Thou's two at the end are just pulverising.

Back
Top Bottom