B&C's 2016 Albums of the Year AKA End of Times Soundtrack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shearwater's album was so boring. I loved that band, but they've gone really middle of the road. Compared to the wonderfully twee prog-folk of Rook and the austere, haunting piano-driven ballads of The Golden Archipelago, the new stuff felt like something any vaguely post-punk-influenced indie rock band could have made.

I guess, looking back on it, there were a lot of albums in 2016 that I found disappointing, but there were many, many great albums to balance that out.

Last edited:
Quite a few disappointments this year, none more significant than James Blake for me. That thing was interminable.

Add to the list Savages, Lucius, Wild Nothing, Local Natives, and Glass Animals. I was really hoping for more from Warpaint as well.

Agreed with Wild Nothing. So disappointing after the previous one, which was great.

Interesting to see a number of people voice disappointed with Life Of Pause, while a number of others(myself included) put it in their top 15.

I dug it. But then I'm not super-familiar with what came before it, so I guess I was less predisposed to disappointment going in.

Did I Fuck up? I thought ten points was the max. Dammit!

It was 15! I mean, you did good on the 100 points. Can we keep it as it is? It will mess up the final count, which I've finished and tabulated already.

Alright, folks. Let's do this. 30-21 albums now, 20-11 at 9pm, and the top 10 starting at 10pm EST. I think this is our peak audience time anyways.

Remember: when tied, the album with the most votes gets higher placement.

tied 30. Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness (16 points, 3 votes)
tied 30. Carly Rae Jepsen - EMOTION Side B (16 points, 3 votes)
29. Memoryhouse - Soft Hate (18 points, 2 votes)
28. Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+ Revolution (19 points, 2 votes)
27. Bat for Lashes - The Bride (19 points, 3 votes)
26. The Avalanches - Wildflower (19 points, 4 votes)
25. Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Getaway (20 points, 2 votes)
24. Wild Beasts - Boy King (21 points, 3 votes)
23. Russian Circles - Guidance (22 points, 3 votes)
22. Chairlift - Moth (23 points, 4 votes)
21. Crying - Beyond the Fleeting Gates (25 points, 4 votes)

Last edited:
Glad the 10 points I gave to RHCP helped them into the top 30 in forum that's always been tough for them.

That said, I have to assume the only reason Esperanza Spalding's record isn't higher than this is because not enough people have heard it. It is spellbinding.

Crying should be higher too. Possibly also Avalanches.

That is bad, but I'll take solace in the fact that The Bride got on the list at all when only 4-5 of us even acknowledged it happened.

Great album.

I think it's a good album, but it never really clicked with me. I basically never go back to it. Maybe I need to give another chance.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think RHCP ahead of Bat for Lashes is the real travesty here.

That is bad, but I'll take solace in the fact that The Bride got on the list at all when only 4-5 of us even acknowledged it happened.

Great album.

B&C's coldness to the Chili Peppers continues.

(To be fair, I haven't heard the Bat record yet, so I can't really have an opinion. But it's unlikely I'd take it over RHCP.)

There's a song on the new RHCP album where Anthony Kiedis sings about having sex with robots. The band is bad.

B&C's coldness to the Chili Peppers continues.

(To be fair, I haven't heard the Bat record yet, so I can't really have an opinion. But it's unlikely I'd take it over RHCP.)

Granted, I haven't heard Stadium Arcadium, but the new album is my favorite of theirs since By the Way, so it has that going for it.

Unpopular opinion: By the Way is the most interesting and enjoyable RHCP album for me. I really like the first half of that album and the variety contained therein.

Hey-oh. Listen to what I say-oh. Snow-oh.
Case closed on RHCP.

Additional superlatives for The Bride would be best special edition vinyl and hottest gatefold.

Granted, I haven't heard Stadium Arcadium, but the new album is my favorite of theirs since By the Way, so it has that going for it.

Unpopular opinion: By the Way is the most interesting and enjoyable RHCP album for me. I really like the first half of that album and the variety contained therein.

I love By The Way. It's a unique record for them. Frusciante was really steering them away from their funk/hard rock roots and towards poppier, more melodic, at times even more post-punk, sounds on that record. To the point where other band members grew somewhat frustrated with it because they felt like it wasn't who they were. Though they went back in the other direction somewhat with Stadium Arcadium, it's ultimately why Frusciante left - RHCP are only to going to go so far out of their comfort zone and Frusciante just wanted to do other things musically(and he was tired of being in a big corporate rock band). I'm a big fan of his solo work too.

Anyway, the title track, Dosed, and Don't Forget Me are classic as far as I'm concerned.

I like every RHCP record from Mother's Milk onward though, except for the first Klinghoffer album(I'm With You).

Back
Top Bottom