B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LM, I might have to look into that Susanne Sundfør album based on a few tracks I heard from it today.
I listened to it yesterday. I was wary beforehand because of the title but then I saw the genre tag electropop. I definitely enjoyed it.

Fine, because legalism rules interference without concession, I listened to one more record that my wife bought that came out this year to make 15.

1. Tame Impala: Currents - 15
2. Mute Math: Vitals - 14
3. Lord Huron: Strange Trails - 13
4. Penguin Prison: Lost In New York - 11
5. Smallpools: Lovetap! - 10
6. The Wombats: Glitterbug - 9
7. El Vy: Return To The Moon - 8
8. Strange Names: Use Your Time Wisely - 7
9. Avid Dancer: 1st Bath - 7
10. Coldplay: A Head Full Of Dreams - 1
11. My Morning Jacket: The Waterfall - 1
12. Neon Indian: Vega International Night School - 1
13. Bad Suns: Language and Perspective - 1
14. Passion Pit: Kindred - 1
15. Adele: 25 - 1

Am I still disqualified?

Every year someone comes into this thread acting the martyr about their particular listening style. If you're such a purist about your listening habits, what the hell would you care if they show up on a random forum list?

If I need to alter my list, I could just give a solitary point to a few other titles and take a few off one other, correct?

Revised List:

1. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness (15)
2. Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - After (1)
3. Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp (15)
4. Tame Impala - Currents (15)
5. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (15)
6. Sharon Van Etten - I Don't Want To Let You Down EP (1)
7. Hop Along - Painted Shut (1)
8. Holly Herndon - Platform (1)
9. Jlin - Dark Energy (1)
10. Royal Headache - High (15)
11. Purity Ring - Another Eternity (15)
12. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, Sometimes I Just Sit (1)
13. Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, Girl (1)
14. Blur - The Magic Whip (1)
15. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (2)

That should fix it. Adds up to 100 and there's a two pointer to make sure Sufjan wins this thing.

I gotta be honest, there's something a little icky about people giving more points to titles lower on their list, if I'm reading the above correctly. This poll should be passionate but not so political.

I don't even know if they have a list like this in the movie section of the forum, but I watch like three new movies a year and would never pretend that I should be included in such a vote. I might make a post (as others in this very thread have!) noting the couple of albums I enjoyed and that would be that. I might even use the thread to see what good albums I missed (like pretty much everyone in here has at times in the past!). To each his own, though. Tourist, your list is in.

I gotta be honest, there's something a little icky about people giving more points to titles lower on their list, if I'm reading the above correctly. This poll should be passionate but not so political.
Strategic voting, man. Get with it or see your favorite album get left in the dust!!!

Every year someone comes into this thread acting the martyr about their particular listening style. If you're such a purist about your listening habits, what the hell would you care if they show up on a random forum list?

Martyr? LOL!

I think my whole point is that my list very likely wouldn't make a difference anyway in that in its original form, only one album had been voted on by anyone else. Which means, if this goes how I believe it went in years past, those other 8 records would not show up on the final list because they wouldn't have been voted on by more than one person anyway (this was the case in at least one of these if not more). All forcing me to add additional albums to the list did was artificially prop up a couple albums that might actually be on the final list.

It's got some strong and Bjork and Kate Bush influence, but it swings for the fences as far as pop appeal goes. There are some huge choruses on that album. Listen to it.

Tried to listen to this at work yesterday. Couldn't finish it, but it is damn good and very much in my wheelhouse.

Or just post an unranked list. Why was that so difficult for you to do?

Why should my list matter less than yours? Because I didn't buy a streaming subscription and spend hundreds of hours listening to stuff I wasn't interested in? How many people participate in this thing anyway? I knew there was a reason I stepped away from interference for a few months. Now I remember.

PFan, please remove my list. It's obviously not wanted.

B&C's 2015 Albums of the Year AKA The One Time A Year Peef Uses Math

Don't be an arse.
The first frickin post mentions the rules to THIS thread.
If you want to list your 6 favourite albums of 2015 or 4 favourite albums of 2004 or 12 favourite farm animals, just start another thread.
Simple.

I think I've only listened to just under 20 albums that have been released this year. I don't really care enough about them to want me to participate in this year's edition... (I'm sure Tame Impala and Beach House will poll pretty well regardless).

While I am impressed at people who chalk up listening to more than 50 new albums from 2015 (on top of any discoveries from previous years), I personally only feel comfortable assessing my appreciation of an album with a minimum of 4 listens. I don't feel qualified enough otherwise. Hats off to any assessors/rank masters who can become intimate enough with so many albums in a pretty short timeframe.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'll be posting my list either late this week or next week.

Thanks!

Why should my list matter less than yours? Because I didn't buy a streaming subscription and spend hundreds of hours listening to stuff I wasn't interested in? How many people participate in this thing anyway? I knew there was a reason I stepped away from interference for a few months. Now I remember.

PFan, please remove my list. It's obviously not wanted.

:(

Fine, because legalism rules interference without concession, I listened to one more record that my wife bought that came out this year to make 15.

1. Tame Impala: Currents - 15
2. Mute Math: Vitals - 14
3. Lord Huron: Strange Trails - 13
4. Penguin Prison: Lost In New York - 11
5. Smallpools: Lovetap! - 10
6. The Wombats: Glitterbug - 9
7. El Vy: Return To The Moon - 8
8. Strange Names: Use Your Time Wisely - 7
9. Avid Dancer: 1st Bath - 7
10. Coldplay: A Head Full Of Dreams - 1
11. My Morning Jacket: The Waterfall - 1
12. Neon Indian: Vega International Night School - 1
13. Bad Suns: Language and Perspective - 1
14. Passion Pit: Kindred - 1
15. Adele: 25 - 1

Am I still disqualified?

Don't worry about it, Tourist, you're always welcome in the gear page of this interference thing.

Holy damn, I just caught up with this thread.

1. It doesn't matter if you heard "hundreds of records" or less than 15. Follow the fucking rules.

2. 15>14>13>12>11>10>9>8>7>6>5>4>3>2>1. If the order in which you rank albums and the order in which you attribute points don't match, either you suck at arithmetic or you suck at basic human courtesy. Pick one.

3. Your pet album doesn't get a bronze medal if it finishes higher because of your strategic voting. Grow up.

/rant

Haha this thread.

Seriously I don't get it. Why do people have to criticize the way people chose to listen to music?

I will only accept lists as valid that were constructed via

A. 180 gram or higher vinyl
B. 1,000 kbps or higher

Just a heads up that my list will probably come out on Christmas day. If not, early the week after

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Holy damn, I just caught up with this thread.

1. It doesn't matter if you heard "hundreds of records" or less than 15. Follow the fucking rules.

Rules change. They did for desert island because people were to lazy to upload their lists, or didn't feel like hunting down an MP3 of a song they love enough to put onto their list.

Has anyone got a logical reason not to have prorated lists? Is it because maths are hard? Or just because "these are the rules because they were last year and fuck you."?

Anyway, I'm done with any sort of stupid competition on interference because of interference's aversion to change unless it's toward laziness.

Rules change. They did for desert island because people were to lazy to upload their lists, or didn't feel like hunting down an MP3 of a song they love enough to put onto their list.

Has anyone got a logical reason not to have prorated lists? Is it because maths are hard? Or just because "these are the rules because they were last year and fuck you."?

Anyway, I'm done with any sort of stupid competition on interference because of interference's aversion to change unless it's toward laziness.

You're throwing a fit because you can't participate the way you want to. Plenty of people pleasantly come in to this thread year after year and say, "I didn't listen to enough albums to feel comfortable ranking them, but here's my favorites from the year," and we all move on.

You come in here and say, "I didn't listen to enough albums to make a fifteen album list that I actually like. Change the rules so I can participate anyways! You bunch of losers with no lives!"

Is it because maths are hard?
Yes. I didn't feel like prorating to 60% just because you don't listen to that many new albums. The rules have stayed consistent because they make it very easy to understand how the voting happened and how the results ended up the way they were.

Now, I don't judge you at all for not listening to a bunch of new albums! I don't think anyone here is. You're taking this very personally. It's just not really the sort of thing that's meant for people who didn't listen to a lot of new music last year. And you asking why, having it explained to you, and then getting simultaneously defensive and accusatory makes you look much more childish than you think we are being.

More like the rules we've used for several years.

Last edited:

That's the problem right there. This is not a freaking competition. It's an aggregation of different lists. One that uses the same parameters so that they can be comparable. I'm not sure it's that hard to understand.

That's the problem right there. This is not a freaking competition. It's an aggregation of different lists. One that uses the same parameters so that they can be comparable. I'm not sure it's that hard to understand.

My list is going to punch your list right in the stomach, gump.

That's the problem right there. This is not a freaking competition. It's an aggregation of different lists.

That's the problem right there. This is not a freaking competition. It's an aggregation of different lists.

^^^^^

It's not like anyone's list is more skillfully crafted than the others. Nobody participating wins anything. The list is either within the parameters or it's not. If it's not, it's useful to discourse in the thread, as long as the person that posted it isn't throwing a fit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom