Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But anyways, on a more serious note:

OP, I think you may have answered your own question. You say you loved her first three albums. The next two, you say, tanked sales-wise. You don't mention whether or not you loved, liked, barely tolerated or hated those next two, but since you don't mention loving them, I'm going to go with liked at best, and you probably would be admitting that her latest output falls far short of what you like(d) about her music.

So there's the answer, really. She's just not kept her output up to her usual par. Whether or not anyone else here or elsewhere ever liked her music is kindof irrelevant, I mean I never did, but I will acknowledge that she did at least have some sort of fan base. But that fan base will only stick around so long as she makes the kind of music that endeared her to them.

And finally, honestly, comparing her to many of those other female artists you list isn't really fair. They have at least 2 distinct advantages over her: vocal prowess, and sex appeal. She never really had either, I mean she was decent but her thing was never in the same league as a Beyonce or Lady Gaga...ever, really. And then there's Pink.. :drool: Avril never could stack up against any of them, really.

Even back in 2002, I found her bland brand of teen angst pop-rock utterly nauseating. It was always going to have a limited shelf-life, and unless she was able to reinvent herself pretty drastically (with strong material) her appeal wasn't going to endure. She couldn't and she hasn't. Case closed.

Let's not forget that before she married Kroeger and his volumes upon volumes of hits, she was married to one of the tossers from Sum 41. Great taste in men right there.

This is the first (and only) thing that comes to my mind re: Avril.

You know who else nearly sold out a 14,000 arena? THE NAZIS!

:applaud:

Anyone know if licking donkey balls is also popular in Asia?

Gabe passes up a chance to insult Nazis? :ohmy:

Ok, I guess it's time to let the cat out of the increasingly frayed bag.

I caused Avril Lavigne's career to go downhill. It was me.

Not even GAF or Ashley are this passionate about crappy pop music.

Beyonce is still going strong because she makes fucking awesome music.

In short: why would anyone listen to anything by someone involved with Chad Kroeger?

Not true. I do find it rather interesting how quickly Avril fell off, but not shocking in the slightest.

The only artist the OP mentioned still going strong that is contemporaneous to Avril, is Pink. Why is Pink still a success while Avril wallows in mediocrity? The obvious answer is because she married Chad Kroeger, but, digging a little deeper: her music is dated, and, at least towards the end of her relevancy, she never really tried to do much about that. Pink, on the other hand, fairly quickly embraced adult alternative radio, and she's been reaping the benefits ever since.
Avril seemed to want to make a career out of being a 30-year-old skate Punk, and no one was buying it.

Imo of course.

I had a friend call Katy Perry a flash in a pan. I don't think so. Ace of base was a flash. One huge album, one mild album and then done. She's already past them. Not sure what lavinge is. I know cyndi lauper is one step above a flash. Borderline. She could not sustain commerical success by the third door.

Get the fuck outta here with your disparaging of Cyndi Lauper.

carygrant.gif

Okay, I’m gonna be straight with you guys. I just don’t get this double standard against Avril.

I get ridiculed and belittled by a lot by people for listening to Avril. Both in person and on the internet.

On the other hand, the general public doesn’t seem to have a problem with other female pop artists like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, P!nk, Kelly Clarkson, etc. Fans of these female artists usually aren't met with such a harshly negative reaction like Avril fans are. It seems as though these women get more appreciation from the public than Avril does.

Here are several notable examples of this double standard-

Avril is regarded as 100% manufactured pop fodder. But so is Britney, and everyone loves her.

Avril gets condemned for her immature behavoir, for her annoying/obnoxious music, for her bad singing, for her simplistic songwriting, and for her juvenile songs/lyrics. Yet, Pink has a shouty voice; sounds obnoxious in So What; drops S-bombs and F-bombs in Raise Your Glass; comes up with lyrics like “slam slam oh hot damn”; comes up with song titles like F***ing Perfect and U + Ur Hand; rides a lawnmower on stage; has had pink hair; and...well...uses the stage name “P!nk” with an exclamation point embedded in it. Moreover, let’s not forget such “thought-provoking” art as Lady Gaga’s Just Dance, Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream, Kelly Clarkson’s My Life Would Suck Without You, and Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Furthermore, it’s worth citing that Katy Perry is the same age as Avril is, while P!nk is a few years older.

Avril gets vilified for not reinventing herself, and for not growing/evolving/progressing/maturing musically and artistically. People say her songs are mostly dribble about partying, or about missing/loving someone. Yet, P!nk’s music has become repetitive since 2006, as she continues to release man-bashing singles (Blow Me), or self-empowerment singles (Raise Your Glass). And I’d be remiss not to mention all of Katy Perry’s songs about teenage sex. And for the past seven years, Taylor Swift has mostly released singles about boys (You Belong With Me, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble).

Avril gets censured for her “outdated” music. Yet, JT scores a smash hit with Mirrors, Bruno Mars with Treasure, Sara Barielles with Brave, and Paramore with Still Into You.

Avril is considered a “phony skate punk rebel” whose image has run its course. Yet, P!nk has a “badass rock star” persona, and people readily eat it up.

Avril frequently gets lumped into the same league of teenybopper singers that includes Justin Bieber and One Direction. Yet, no one bemoans about how Taylor Swift has legions of teen and tween girls making up the majority of her fanbase.

The world laughs at Avril being married to Chad Kroeger. Yet, no one laughs at all the guys that Taylor Swift has dated over the years. Plus, people forgave Britney for marrying K-Fed.

Why are other female artists more respected by the public than Avril is? Why do people think that it’s deserving of antagonism to listen to Avril?

I understand that haters gonna hate. But the level of Avril hate that I encounter among everyday people is just beyond measure. It’s like Avril is as reviled as Justin Bieber. But every single put-down that I hear regarding Avril is just a bullshit sentiment.

Now I challenge you guys to...

I don't understand why this means so much to you, and why you feel the need to rant on a U2 fansite about it?

Okay, I’m gonna be straight with you guys. I just don’t get this double standard against Avril.

I get ridiculed and belittled by a lot by people for listening to Avril. Both in person and on the internet.

On the other hand, the general public doesn’t seem to have a problem with other female pop artists like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, P!nk, Kelly Clarkson, etc. Fans of these female artists usually aren't met with such a harshly negative reaction like Avril fans are. It seems as though these women get more appreciation from the public than Avril does.

Here are several notable examples of this double standard-

Avril is regarded as 100% manufactured pop fodder. But so is Britney, and everyone loves her.

Avril gets condemned for her immature behavoir, for her annoying/obnoxious music, for her bad singing, for her simplistic songwriting, and for her juvenile songs/lyrics. Yet, Pink has a shouty voice; sounds obnoxious in So What; drops S-bombs and F-bombs in Raise Your Glass; comes up with lyrics like “slam slam oh hot damn”; comes up with song titles like F***ing Perfect and U + Ur Hand; rides a lawnmower on stage; has had pink hair; and...well...uses the stage name “P!nk” with an exclamation point embedded in it. Moreover, let’s not forget such “thought-provoking” art as Lady Gaga’s Just Dance, Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream, Kelly Clarkson’s My Life Would Suck Without You, and Taylor Swift’s We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Furthermore, it’s worth citing that Katy Perry is the same age as Avril is, while P!nk is a few years older.

Avril gets vilified for not reinventing herself, and for not growing/evolving/progressing/maturing musically and artistically. People say her songs are mostly dribble about partying, or about missing/loving someone. Yet, P!nk’s music has become repetitive since 2006, as she continues to release man-bashing singles (Blow Me), or self-empowerment singles (Raise Your Glass). And I’d be remiss not to mention all of Katy Perry’s songs about teenage sex. And for the past seven years, Taylor Swift has mostly released singles about boys (You Belong With Me, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble).

Avril gets censured for her “outdated” music. Yet, JT scores a smash hit with Mirrors, Bruno Mars with Treasure, Sara Barielles with Brave, and Paramore with Still Into You.

Avril is considered a “phony skate punk rebel” whose image has run its course. Yet, P!nk has a “badass rock star” persona, and people readily eat it up.

Avril frequently gets lumped into the same league of teenybopper singers that includes Justin Bieber and One Direction. Yet, no one bemoans about how Taylor Swift has legions of teen and tween girls making up the majority of her fanbase.

The world laughs at Avril being married to Chad Kroeger. Yet, no one laughs at all the guys that Taylor Swift has dated over the years. Plus, people forgave Britney for marrying K-Fed.

Why are other female artists more respected by the public than Avril is? Why do people think that it’s deserving of antagonism to listen to Avril?

I understand that haters gonna hate. But the level of Avril hate that I encounter among everyday people is just beyond measure. It’s like Avril is as reviled as Justin Bieber. But every single put-down that I hear regarding Avril is just a bullshit sentiment.

Now I challenge you guys to...

It's because she's Canadian, clearly.

Well, there's a wall of text I'll never read. Over think much?

Simple answer, her music sucks. And apparently it sucks so much that not even the average pop music fan likes it.

Avril hate? I'd call it bemusement that she still exists within the music industry. If it weren't for her woeful taste in men occasionally resulting in a headline, I wouldn't be aware she'd done anything since "Sk8er Boi".

'Girlfriend' was pretty big here about 6-7 years ago. I don't recall anything since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom