Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-79

War Child
Hey fellow Interferencers. I know there are tons of people who hate Avril Lavigne. But consider young pop artists like Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, and Beyonce. All three were widely rejected early in their careers, but now have earned a vast amount of acceptance from the populace.

So...

How would you guys feel if Avril Lavigne manages to become as popular and well-respected as Madonna (or even U2)?

Before anyone starts flaming me, I have a few decent arguments to express.

Let’s say-

1. She transitions away from the ‘punk princess’ gimmick, and completely re-invents her style
2. She makes a departure from her earlier work and advances her music
3. She secures her artistic credibility, demonstrates musical growth, and proves her authenticity
4. She discards the bratty, girly fluff, and starts putting out more well-crafted, high-caliber music that withstands the passage of time
5. She avoids writing cookie-cutter pop songs about boys, and begins recording serious-minded songs that contain profound lyrics of considerable depth
6. She stops catering to the teenage crowd, and reaches out to a more general, adult audience of discerning listeners
7. She sets herself apart from her female pop contemporaries- i.e. Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Hilary Duff, Ashlee Simpson, and Lindsay Lohan

Given these hypothetical conditions-

How would you feel if Avril becomes able to develop a massive fanbase around the world? How would you feel if she becomes able to remain relevant and to sustain a lot of staying power in the music industry? How would you feel if she eventually achieves a Madonna/U2-like level of esteem and longevity?

How would you guys feel if Avril legitimately earns an iconic reputation 20 years from now?

And I hope not to hear sarcastic nonsense like “Lord help us” or “That’s hell in a hand basket”. I just would like a mature and meaningful discussion here.

Thanks guys.

I think she already tried to age up her music a little and then when that failed she completely regressed and started making awful songs like Girlfriend, so I don't think she'll ever really be that respectable. Honestly she's not awful, she's made some decent songs I wouldn't have written her off until I heard Girlfriend but really unless she comes out and says what is probably her most popular song is embarrassing trash than I don't expect her to ever be a mature respectable artist

I think she already tried to age up her music a little and then when that failed she completely regressed and started making awful songs like Girlfriend, so I don't think she'll ever really be that respectable. Honestly she's not awful, she's made some decent songs I wouldn't have written her off until I heard Girlfriend but really unless she comes out and says what is probably her most popular song is embarrassing trash than I don't expect her to ever be a mature respectable artist

That's kind of how I feel. I mean, she wrote cheesy pop in the beginning, then she sorta began to mature and write some decent music I'm not ashamed to say I like. She was successful with that, and for some reason, she decided that the next logical step was to revert back to shit like "Girlfriend". Logical.

'Under My Skin' was a surprisingly cohesive album. 'Who Knows' was a huge missed opportunity for a hit single. However 'The Best Damn Thing' was for the most part appalling.

I like a couple of singles from her first album, the ones that weren't Complicated or Sk8r Boi, namely. But I think you're asking for maybe seven too many hypotheticals, there. Sorry!

:up: Mobile, Losing Grip, Complicated, Girlfriend, He Wasn't, My Happy Ending......I adore Avril music, there's probably more brilliant tunes I've forgotten, but I always enjoy her songs (with the exception of Sk8er Boi). I really should get one of her albums.

Haven't got time to engage in meaningful discussion about the lovely Avril Lavigne, cause I'm in the midst of SWOTVAK for exams (one of which I am destined to fail), but maybe later....she is brill though.

How would I feel if etc etc etc? I'd feel "Hey, good for her." If I liked her reinvented music, I'd be all over it. Even if I didn't like what she was doing, I'd still think "Hey, good for her."

I don't necessarily think she's the artist who might do this kind of reinvention, based on the music I've heard of hers. My love of cheesy pop music is fairly well-known here, so it's no surprise that I like "Girlfriend."

The only other of hers that I really like is "I'm With You" (I think that's what I called). That's a damned fine pop song.

Nothing about Avril Lavigne so far has given me any indication that she's capable of that kind of major reinvention. Bratty pop-punk princess stuff is IMO what she's best at, at least it's fun. Whenever she tries to go for something with more depth she just ends up exposing her limitations.

Avril is relaly good she's got great pop sensibility and a good future ahead of her and she has some good songs and congratulatiosn Avril for having your own thread!!!

Did half of this thread just disappear?

avril-lavigne-britney-spears-quote-4-2-07.jpg

There ya go!

Avril Lavigne. What The Hell?

Avril's back, y'all. The lead single off of her new album is called "What The Hell" and it was debuted last night. It has a BIG hook, catchy as hell, and is going to be all over the radio and a massive hit for her. That's a GAF guarantee. You heard it here first.

Anyway, I've had a crush on this girl (and simultaneously liked her music, for the most part) for about 8 or 9 years now, and I'm really happy that she's still going for it and having success.

Also, apparently the rest of the album is not as poppy (for lack of a better word right now) as What The Hell, and is more acoustic guitar driven, which I believe to be her strong suit, so take that for it's worth.

YouTube - Avril Lavigne "What The Hell" Live on Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve (Dec 31, 2010) AVRIL-L.ORG

She makes good choices of which songwriters to choose to help her write. Katy Perry being one of them, before she set out on her solo jaunt.

My only nitpick would be the nigh impossible without auto-tune chorus bit at 1:08, but I guess we all know they use guide vocals live these days most of the time, so who cares really.

Seems prepped and ready to slot into the cruise ship / good times / Bar Mitzvah DJ playlist right before 'I Got a Feeling'.

She makes good choices of which songwriters to choose to help her write.

Yup. Max Martin to the rescue, once again.

This song is fucking dope. This is my jam. Avril comes HARD right out of the gates in 2011. Knockin em dead.

I think I might be a bit too excited about this, and I should probably drink some water and relax and watch football. But, fuck it, it's January 1 and Avril owns my computer speakers right now. And my heart.

"What the hell?" was exactly my reaction when she married that little troll from Sum-41, and when I recently found out she was dating Brody Jenner.

Avril Lavigne to release new album ‘Goodbye Lullaby’

Yes guys- She still exists. After an exceedingly long delay, Avril is releasing her fourth album on March 8, 2011. It is the follow-up to her 2007 album The Best Damn Thing. The album has been finished since 2009, and it was originally slated to be released sometime last year. However, Avril’s record label decided to hold off on its release due to a heavy amount of competition from other female artists- Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Kesha, etc.

The official title of Avril’s fourth album is Goodbye Lullaby.

al_goodbye_300.jpg

From what I’ve heard, Avril’s new album is supposed to be her back-to-basics album. A representation of a more “mature, revamped Avril Lavigne”. A collection of personal, introspective songs- much like her first two albums. A departure from the cheesy, girly fun that was brought on by the pop-culture abomination known as Girlfriend.

The following clip *could* be an indication of what her new album *might* be like.

YouTube - Avril Lavigne - Official 'Alice (Underground)' Music Video (HQ)

I certainly hope that what I’ve heard is true, and that Avril’s new album isn’t simply a rehashing of her last album. But considering how Max Martin has had his fingerprints on the new album, there are quite a few doubts in the back of my mind.:reject:

Regardless of what it is going to sound like, I also hope that Avril’s new album doesn’t ultimately tank like Christina Aguilera’s did last year. But then again, the landscape of the pop music world has changed dramatically since the last time Avril did anything. And there have been so many female artists (both new and old) achieving huge success during her absence from the music industry. If Avril wants to remain relevant and return to prominence, it won’t be hill- It will be a mountain.:lol: So I must admit that I have my reservations about Avril’s future.:silent:

That’s how I feel about Avril at this stage in her career- almost ten years since her debut. At least it’s something to hold me over until U2 comes back to North America.:wink:

Will 2011 be Avril’s year? We shall soon see.

What just happened is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on Interference.

Let me say, HBK-79, I love that you love Avril. She is a good looking and talented young woman, and those are the best kinds of people on Earth, and they deserve to be admired and appreciated.

I hope you like the new song.

I couldn't really hear the song last night while we were watching the show, but Avril looked like she couldn't give a shit during the performance of both it and "Girlfriend". Was very disappointed in the way she appeared to be mailing it in. Will give the song itself another listen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom