Avril Lavigne Mergathon/What REALLY caused Avril Lavigne’s career to go downhill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Avril gets vilified for not reinventing herself, and for not growing/evolving/progressing/maturing musically and artistically. People say her songs are mostly dribble about partying, or about missing/loving someone. Yet, P!nk’s music has become repetitive since 2006, as she continues to release man-bashing singles (Blow Me), or self-empowerment singles (Raise Your Glass). And I’d be remiss not to mention all of Katy Perry’s songs about teenage sex. And for the past seven years, Taylor Swift has mostly released singles about boys (You Belong With Me, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble).

I'll give you this: I am baffled as well by the continued success of Pink. All the other artists you list have some clear reason why they remain hugely popular - Perry's looks (not saying that's the only reason, but probably a major one), Gaga's ability to write a giant hook into basically anything she touches, Swift's grasp on teenage/early twenties everyday problems/concerns. Pink, on the other hand, just seems like a tepidly risque stage presence and an unremarkable vocalist who regurgitates the same song over and over again.

Want to know why Avril is over? She has to compete with this.

P!nk - Try - YouTube

Don't get me wrong - I am looking forward to her HK show - it'll be fun and full of singalongs and shit. But is she relevant? Not since 2004 and not unless you are a 14 year old girl.

Remember the good times.

Game-Over-Man-Game-Over.jpg

HBK, I gotta give you props for at least admitting that you're an Avril fan. If you enjoy her music, people shouldn't be giving you shit about it. When she was popular back in 2002, I dug a couple of her songs. I figured she might have some staying power, (she reminded me of Alanis-Lite) but as the years progressed, she faded from the pop scene. Meanwhile, other artists from that era were able to stick around like Britney, Pink and Beyoncé. Britney is a piece of ass and despite going mad in 2007, her and her army of producers have been able to march on. Pink is an amazing artist who has evolved as time has gone by. She is a good singer and it was her soulful voice that got her foot in the door. She has earned the right to do whatever she likes in concerts, songs or videos. Plus, she could probably kick all of our asses. :wink: Beyoncé is Beyoncé and married to the Jigga Man. No need to further explain. :wink: If it's any consolation, Ashanti probably should have achieved greater success from that era too, but didn't reach the heights that many other female artists from that era have.

The problem with this argument regarding Pink is the simple ignorance to the fact that she hasn't released a "bad-ass look at me" song in years.

list those big hits Cyndi lauper had post 1989. Just keep them a coming.

Who said anything about her continuing to have hits? I just said to stop knocking her. Cyndi Lauper is awesome and is held up as being awesome, despite not having umpteen zillion hits.

sfjfg_zpsd036e3a0.gif

kehre_zps7869bc71.gif

And Darling HBK, it's perhaps just time to admit that Avril's career decline is one of life's great mysteries that can't be explained. It might just have been due to the fickleness of pop music. Sometimes people get famous for inexplicable reasons, and sometimes people fade away for inexplicable reasons.

I know you really want to know, but you may just never know.

And don't let anyone give you shit for your love of her.

Maybe this man brought Avril to the music scene. The music industry is done with her. It got what it needed.

605-jacob-01.jpg

Now - Alanis Morissette. There is a mystery of diminishing returns. 30+ million sales of Jagged Little Pill - then less than a third of that for her next 5 or so albums combined.

AND she doesn't sell out arenas in Hong Kong - despite the Nazis opening for her...

:sad:

Say what?

If I'm posting gifs to accompany my scolding, I'm not to be really taken seriously. Sorry if you took all of that the wrong way.

I just thought it was kind of a weird comparison to introduce here. :)

Say what?

If I'm posting gifs to accompany my scolding, I'm not to be really taken seriously. Sorry if you took all of that the wrong way.

I just thought it was kind of a weird comparison to introduce here. :)

Honestly, I find it weird that he's brought it up several times recently.

Well something caused it because it did go downhill. Sometimes artists simply get cycled out. Fair or unfair

Debbie Gibson. Tiffany. Toni Braxton. Hillary Duff. Alanis. Jewel. They were all pretty big stars for a few years and then just dropped away. Avril extended it for almost a decade. I doubt she is personally too upset at low album sales. Bitch be rich.

I'm not sure if this the time or place to make mention of this, but I did want to clear something up -

I'm 100% definitely NOT a covert agent for a shadowy, secretive, unacknowledged arm of the government, ok? I mean, the very idea that such an organization would exist is absurd, let alone my potential participation. LOL, right? Crazy.

But, if I were such an agent, my code name would be SCUBA.

I'm not, though.

But still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom