AV Club Undercover: 25 bands, 25 cover songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think 95% of the bands doing these covers just show up, look at the list, and pick a song. They have next to no time to work an actual cover out before recording the video, thus meaning that one or more people in the band may be entirely unfamiliar with the song.

The Walkmen are a bunch of white guys in a guitar-driven indie rock band. It would absolutely floor me if a member of that band had never heard Driver 8 before.

But, I've been floored before.

I love REM, and I can't think of what Driver 8 sounds like, or what album it's even on. :shrug:

REM haven't been as influential as people assumed they would be in the '80's and '90's.
Neither has U2

I love REM, and I can't think of what Driver 8 sounds like, or what album it's even on. :shrug:

I'm really surprised by that, to be honest.

Fables of the Reconstruction and it sounds like uptempo jangly awesomeness. With cool backing vocals.

The list became too enormous to complete, so I took one weekend of having the flu as an excuse to never pick it back up again.

As far as bumping it is concerned, it's an excuse to try out the microphone on my new laptop...:hmm:

Just watched the Walkmen covering Driver 8. Yikes. The guys backing him sounded fine but, man, that vocalist was strugglin. Did not sound very good at all, to me. I guess it goes to show that you shouldn't try to cover 80's R.E.M., if only because of the difficulty when comparing to Stipe's crazy unique vocal. But, like they said, they had no choice.

Also, one of my all-time fave R.E.M. songs, btw.

:up: a lot of my hatred for that cover is probably completely attributed to the fact that it's one of my favorite rem songs. and i do live under that happy rock where i too think that everyone knows this song, so it seems odd to me that they'd be screwing it up so unpleasantly because of lack of prior knowledge of the song. it's nice and cozy under my rock. i think mofo's right about that just showing up stuff, it's the only excuse for why i can think the bulk of the covers sound so dreadful (and i think ben folds was saying something about how he's done that elliot smith song before as a cover, which would explain why it wasn't utterly unbearable).

Based on having seen 10 or so of those performances, it really seems like most of the artists just picked a song about 20 minutes before recording the video. No matter how bad you think this Walkmen cover may be, it's probably better than a good percentage of the other videos. One of the reasons I stopped keeping up with the weekly updates was I was getting tired of seeing artists I love sound like crap.

If I could sing or play an instrument I'd cover it.

Donald_Duck_Jew-harp.jpg

Am I too late here?

Working through some of these right now...

Motion City Soundtrack's cover of Cut Your Hair was wonderful. The solo is just fuckyeah acoustically. Walkmen's cover of Driver 8 is musically enjoyable, very unique to them, but the vocals are just horrendous. You could tell they had no choice but to pick it.

And it's their loss if they don't care for the song; it's one of R.E.M.'s early career highlights.

Back
Top Bottom