Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really enjoying Kardajala Kirridanna. Great find, guys - are they on tour right now?

On Spotify and seeing Dr Yunupingu's name and visage under related artists is a bit of a downer though. Always liked his solo stuff and have been rocking a bit of Yothu Yindi lately.

I'm really enjoying Kardajala Kirridanna. Great find, guys - are they on tour right now?

They managed to raise enough funds to travel to Brisbane for Bigsound. Hopefully soon they'll have the resources to tour more widely. I suppose this is one of the big impediments to getting a lot of Indigenous music out there: it costs shit-tonnes to get from isolated Outback towns to the capital cities, and performances in those cities are essential to develop national buzz.

To be honest I've never really listened to them.

Also, why the fuck do Client Liaison keep getting attention. Ugh.

Surprised this hasn't had any mention in this forum: Cut Copy are back. New album Sept 22.
they keep doing these crazy "come to this exact spot in austin" type things. except they're in downtown austin. during rush hour. posted on a moment's notice.

yet they're only coming here during a festival (acl) when i don't even want to think about what parking's gonna be like. i went downtown during sxsw and had to pay $40 to park. it's normally like $12 on the weekend. :fwp:

So the new Cloud Control is out. I was really looking forward to this because "Rainbow City" is such a fucking good song - as I said earlier in the thread, the best of their career.

The album sucks. Second single "Zone (This Is How It Feels)" was a terrible choice. "Treetops" is great, but oh my god some of the rest. "Lacuna" is their worst song without a doubt, and "Summer Rave" is not far behind. Crazy how in the space of six tracks they go from their very best to their very worst.

Any of you know the band Methyl Ethel? Kind of a daft name but they have some good tunes. Check out "Ubu."

Nah, thanks to all of you, my Australian / New Zealander friends.

Is that the preferred term for someone from New Zealand?

New Zealander / Kiwi is like Australian / Aussie.

"Kiwi" with a capital letter is a person; "kiwi" without a capital is an endangered flightless bird. But I can't give you the etymology. :lol:

Any of you know the band Methyl Ethel? Kind of a daft name but they have some good tunes. Check out "Ubu."

Ahem, just twelve posts beforehand:

I also want to mention Methyl Ethel, since they're a wonderful live band. They seem to have really broken through on Triple J with this year's album Everything Is Forgotten, but I don't rate it as nearly as good as their debut Oh Inhuman Spectacle (or "Architecture Lecture" from the Guts EP). "Ubu" seems to be really popular but I think it's only average; the keeper from the new album is "Weeds Through the Rind".

So apparently the word "Kiwi" to refer to a New Zealander does come from the bird; it is a slang term the indigenous people used for white soldiers in the early 1900s. Fascinating origin.

Well yeah it has to come from the bird somehow. It's probably the most well-travelled Māori word, though plenty of others have entered New Zealand English. But my own searching suggests the nickname came from the European theatre of war in WWI, not from Māori—who had, after all, already dubbed us Pākehā (which I readily state is my ethnicity; nothing else makes sense).

Well yeah it has to come from the bird somehow. It's probably the most well-travelled Māori word, though plenty of others have entered New Zealand English. But my own searching suggests the nickname came from the European theatre of war in WWI, not from Māori—who had, after all, already dubbed us Pākehā (which I readily state is my ethnicity; nothing else makes sense).

So is that to say Europeans were aware of the term "kiwi" and applied it to New Zealand's troops, or NZ troops applied it to themselves? I actually hadn't known that New Zealand troops were in Europe during WW1, so I learned something here. Probably should have assumed as much due to the colonial pulls for troops.

Europeans were already aware of it. I know I've seen cartoons from the first New Zealand rugby tours of Britain featuring kiwi (and moa), and there was - and still is - a popular brand of shoe polish called Kiwi, which is ironically Australian and was used by soldiers. Keep in mind that during the nineteenth century there had been a thriving industry in specimens of "unusual" colonial animals being brought back to the imperial centre. The kangaroo excited a lot of people, and the platypus was famously derided as a hoax originally, but the moa and kiwi and other distinctive New Zealand birds didn't go without notice.

And chest-beating nationalists would suggest New Zealand - and Australia's - birth as a nation came in Europe during WWI with the Gallipoli landing. Anzac Day is at least a bit less toxic in New Zealand than Australia. New Zealand had conscription (unlike Australia) and despite the prominence of Gallipoli in the national story, about four times the amount of Kiwi soldiers died on the Western Front. I think we lost as many men at Passchendaele as we did across the entire nine-month Gallipoli campaign.

Thanks - that's all very enlightening. As a historian of the classical Mediterranean myself, I have an interest in etymologies. And now that you say it, the exoticism fetish of Europeans does make sense in that it would be applied to animals. That sort of thing goes all the way back to the Romans, who had a particularly strong fascination with peacocks. A telling sign that someone was of the upper-elite would be a peacock roaming their estate.

Last edited:
:up: I became quite familiar with the colonial animal trade because one of my friends from my old PhD cohort was very fascinated with it, even if it was only loosely associated with his thesis research, but I was entirely unfamiliar with how far that exoticism dated back. I readily confess I'm very much a nineteenth century historian.

Aaaaaand to drag this back to Australian music, I just discovered that the Memphis Kelly of Saatsuma is Paul Kelly's daughter. Another one of Kelly's daughters, Maddy, plays in Saatsuma live. I actually saw their debut performance last year when they opened for Dorsal Fins (who everybody here ought to be all over); their debut album Overflow just came out and it's not shabby.

Oh fuck me the Triple J article calls The War on Drugs "shoegazers". :lmao:

I'm annoyed Wolf Alice are exclusive to Laneway, because otherwise I would've just done sideshows for them, definitely-not-shoegazers The War on Drugs, and actual shoegazers Slowdive.

Now I've got to figure out whether I'm going to the Sydney or Melbourne one.

I'm pretty pumped but definitely not as much as you! Some of the locals are pretty cool but, well, I can see them easily without needing to go to Laneway, in a better venue.

I'll definitely go to sideshows by Slowdive and The War on Drugs even if they don't clash at the festival. I want full sets. So that might swing me in favour of Melbourne... the flights would be cheaper than forking out for accommodation in Sydney, as doing that 90-120 minute train ride each way for at least three days would be brutal.

I'm pretty pumped but definitely not as much as you! Some of the locals are pretty cool but, well, I can see them easily without needing to go to Laneway, in a better venue.

I'll definitely go to sideshows by Slowdive and The War on Drugs even if they don't clash at the festival. I want full sets. So that might swing me in favour of Melbourne... the flights would be cheaper than forking out for accommodation in Sydney, as doing that 90-120 minute train ride each way for at least three days would be brutal.

For me it's like the perfect festival lineup: a shit ton of acts that I really like, but none that I absolutely love, so I'm very happy to watch hour-long sets amidst a festival without needing to get up close or feel cheated for missing a longer show.

I hope there's not a 750m walk between stages again..

Not sure what other Laneways are like but the Footscray one is particularly horrible, thanks to the narrow stages and all the fucking asphalt with no shade on a hot day.

I found the most comfortable stage was the one on the river (not the main one further away), if you can get past the crowd there's usually a lot of space and trees / shade.

Back
Top Bottom