Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL_04 said:
There hasn't been any real decent Australian music since then I'm afraid, apart from a few recent rockers over the past few years, and throw in Silverchair and Powderfinger.

Motor Ace were under-appreciated. Geniuses they were...

A band everyone could love, especially Melburnians..

COBL_04 said:
There hasn't been any real decent Australian music since then I'm afraid, apart from a few recent rockers over the past few years, and throw in Silverchair and Powderfinger.

Are the Go Betweens Australian??? :drool: :combust: I loved walking out of my first U2 show to Streets of Your Town! Any other songs to recommend?

Apparently what you consider decent and what I consider decent are two different things then. :shrug:

Are the Go-Betweens Australian? Holy Hell (kids these days.... :wink: ). Yeah, they are from Brisbane. I always liked Bye Bye Pride; Batchelor Kisses, Was There Anything I Could Do? -- I'm drawing a blank right now (and am too lazy to dig out the cds to look).

And a little trivia tidbit -- in 1998 Grant McLennan of the Go-Betweens and Ian Haug of Powderfinger (and a couple of other musicians) put together a side project called the Far Out Corporation. They released one (really hard to find) album titled FOC. :)

COBL_04 said:
:up: Great thread!!

Cold Chisel would have to be my favourites along with Crowded House (remember anything crap from Oz gets pawned off to NZ, and anything good to come from NZ is officially Ostrayan. :wink: )Khe Sahn is THE definitve Australian anthem. There is no better way to finish a party then to have 20/30 pissed blokes standing in a circle, arms around each other, belting out "the last plane outta Sydney's almost gone!!!!!!" :love:

My friend in Melbourne sent me a CD with that song....I love it, play it all the time!

watching/listening to Live Earth broadcast - next up Crowded House! (40 minutes to wait though? I may not make it!)

And they said there'd be an appearance by Peter Garrett. Now why did he not play with Ghostwriters earlier. I am cry :scream:

i just got back from seeing Mark seymore (hunters and collectors)
what an amazing songwriter, new album Westgate out , get it , no one captures that suburban landscape and relationship between men and women like this man.
The power of his vocals when restrained and fully open over powering the godd damm slappers who continued to talk through his set :madwife: was amazing .

i was completely mesmorised for 2 hours. aussie music is still alive and well! :heart:

oh yes holy grail ... all the good stuff and the new stuff too ....

gah gah gah :drool:

did you get your crowdies ticks mate and see them last night on live earth OMG i died .......

mysterious_jen said:
oh yes holy grail ... all the good stuff and the new stuff too ....

gah gah gah :drool:

did you get your crowdies ticks mate and see them last night on live earth OMG i died .......

I certainly did... lol this is really weird but I had a dream that night someone was waiting at ticketek with a massive sign saying "COBL_04" :lol:

When I got there there was like two people, I tried starting a conversation.

"You guys waiting for Crowded House?"
"yer (grunted)"

His face seriously resembled :grumpy:

How about you did you get tickets? Where abouts? How were they on live earth?

COBL_04 said:

I certainly did... lol this is really weird but I had a dream that night someone was waiting at ticketek with a massive sign saying "COBL_04" :lol:

When I got there there was like two people, I tried starting a conversation.

"You guys waiting for Crowded House?"
"yer (grunted)"

His face seriously resembled :grumpy:

How about you did you get tickets? Where abouts? How were they on live earth?

you missed them on live earth ?? i hope you can see it somewhere it was amazing.

ive got tickets , not sure where they will be but they were in the first 200 sold so they should be pretty freakin good seats.

if i was holding a sign up to meet you my face wouldnt be :grumpy: it would be :flirt: or mabey :evil: or possibly :drool:

Has anyone got tickets for silverchair/powderfinger??? i missed out ........... :(

mysterious_jen said:

you missed them on live earth ?? i hope you can see it somewhere it was amazing.

ive got tickets , not sure where they will be but they were in the first 200 sold so they should be pretty freakin good seats.

if i was holding a sign up to meet you my face wouldnt be :grumpy: it would be :flirt: or mabey :evil: or possibly :drool:

Has anyone got tickets for silverchair/powderfinger??? i missed out ........... :(

Yes, I'm hoping to get clips/audio somewheres.

The tickets sold out very quick, I was four back and by the time I got to the front I couldn't get two seats together until the upper level.

I wasn't saying your face would be :grumpy: it was the guy who had been waiting since 8am and wouldn't talk to me. I think my face mighta been :wink: but definitely not :| I hate that thing lolz

I wanted to get Powderfinger/Silverchair tickets... that would have been an awesome show. But they went on sale the next day and I wasn't gonna fork out another 200 bucks.

After watching Crowded House on Live Earth, I was very impressed. I have to say they are one of Australia's finest.

BTW...it was good to see Rob Hirst and Martin Rotsey on stage with the Ghostwriters.... I guess its as close to the Oils as we're going to get.

i gots me some tickets to paul kelly yay ! this is such a good year for me to see all my fave aussie rock gods/dinosaurs ....

now to stalk down jimmy barnes and i can die happy....

mysterious_jen said:
i gots me some tickets to paul kelly yay ! this is such a good year for me to see all my fave aussie rock gods/dinosaurs ....

now to stalk down jimmy barnes and i can die happy....

Sweeet!.......Speaking of Dinosaurs........what about this little gem, how could i have forgotten to include this in my all time fav Aussie music list!

Solid Rock by Goanna

yay got Paul Kellys new album today, Stolen apples, first up i love the minimal recycled cardboard cd cover with nice little lyrics/ picture book inside,
by now i assume most of you would have heard God told me to , very catchy.
some nice guitar work on the album as well as some accoustic tracks, lovely ballad with piano at the end- please leave your light on.

anyway , going to see him sat night looking forward to it , one of australias most brilliant living story tellers .

Paul Kelly's a gun. Leaps and Bounds sends shivers.

Josh Pyke is Australia's most promising solo songwriter at the moment...

Cat Empire. Icehouse. End of story.
:heart:

Great acts are The Angels and The Radiators. Two bands I don't think anyone has ever seen sober, but you get that. We do pub rock better than everyone else. Beer and bands. :drool:

the angles played geelong last week, i would have went but Doc wasnt with them so i gave it a miss.

Paul kelly last night was top shit, he played the whole new album start to finish and then some old stuff,
deeper water, 16th floor, love never runs on time, sweet guy and finished with dumb things. sat 3 rows from the front awesome ! :up: :dance:

and ... to complete my year of awesome live aussie music appreciation jimmy barnes is comming to town :drool:

Back
Top Bottom