Australian music appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh, I definitely didn't mean to post that in this thread last night.

But hey I guess it's music to my ears, so it works.

It reads a lot like a hottest 100 list so I'm not that surprised either way.

Certainly this year's Hottest 100 is a bit shit, eh guys.

Honestly not sure there's a single song so far that I'd want to hear again, and we're already down to #38.

Hadn't paid Gang of Youths any attention before, but there is enough there to make me want to hear a full album. The countdown hasn't been as good as last year though

Cobbler might love Gang of Youths but that album was so boring and overwrought I gave up halfway through.

Think this might be the first year that there's not a single song I care for in the 100. Maybe one or two. I love Methyl Ethel but Ubu is one of their worst songs, can't believe it's so popular.

Cobbler might love Gang of Youths but that album was so boring and overwrought I gave up halfway through.

Think this might be the first year that there's not a single song I care for in the 100. Maybe one or two. I love Methyl Ethel but Ubu is one of their worst songs, can't believe it's so popular.

One of the most unworthy #4s in recent memory.

Holy Holy were the same - True Lovers is their worst song, but it gets to #40, while great tracks of theirs like Elevator, That Message, and Send My Regards get no love.

Re Gang of Youths - I think if you came up on Aussie indie in the mid 2000s that this band is fucking great. I'm half way through Go Farther in Lightness and I'm in love with it. Why didn't I hear this band earlier?

One of the most unworthy #4s in recent memory.

Holy Holy were the same - True Lovers is their worst song, but it gets to #40, while great tracks of theirs like Elevator, That Message, and Send My Regards get no love.

Totally agreed on Holy Holy. I saw them live last year and had no idea anybody cared for True Lovers, or why they would, but it went off. That Message should've been up there instead.

Another JJJ100 that just seems to be a mishmash of random songs, with a couple of pet artists dominating and an over representation of Like a Versions.

Most of my selections, I had to add in manually. Even Fleet Foxes' "Third of May", which was curiously excluded from the list they uploaded.

I've got no right to complain as I don't listen to JJJ (or any radio for that matter).

I just wish that a more wholesome and less parochial "100" was popularly cited as the country's premier countdown.

I can't even imagine what sort of person votes for a Like a Version.

Wait, we have the 101-200 already? I haven't been paying attention then! All I've seen is people crapping on about Double J playing the 1997 countdown. No Aphrodisiac is one of the shittiest number ones of all time.

Right, time for some shoutouts to my favourites in the Aussie scenes at the moment. Just counting those who are active, and a couple who have just called it quits in the last year or so but might be back.

indie rock/pop
Ali Barter
Alpine
Dorsal Fins (RIP for now :sad: )
The Jezabels
Little May
Loose Tooth
Major Leagues
Methyl Ethel
The Paper Kites
Sugar Army
Terrible Truths
Totty

And City Calm Down were a favourite but the new album sucks

shoegaze/dream pop
Bloodhounds on My Trail
Blush Response
Deafcult
Dream Rimmy
Flyying Colours
half/cut
Hatchie
Hideous Towns (RIP for now :sad: )
The Laurels
Love of Diagrams
Lowtide
Luna Ghost
Skullsquadron
White Walls
Wild Meadows

post-rock/metal
Dumbsaint
Encircling Sea
Hope Drone
Meniscus
Sleepmakeswaves
We Lost the Sea
YLVA

post-punk/post-hardcore/emo
Crusch
Endless Heights
Horror My Friend
Infinite Void

electronic
Eves the Behaviour (now releasing songs as Eves Karydas, but her "Behaviour" stuff is better)
Glass Diamonds (ex-Voltaire Twins)
Kardajala Kirridarra

Alpine ARE working on a third, but last time I spoke to any of them there was no timeframe. I should drop Christian a line and find out!

Wild Meadows' s/t is great. They have a shoegaze background but this is probably more indie rock.

More true shoegaze is Lowtide and Blush Response. They're both ace. Give Lowtide's singles Alibi and Elizabeth Tower a go; they're pretty representative of whether the rest would be of interest.

Hatchie :heart: has her debut EP out this Friday, though four of its five tracks are already singles. The ultimate sugar rush of guitar-based Aussie music.

I think Totty and half/cut both have albums on the way, the boys in Bloodhounds are recording at the moment, and I'm pretty sure I recall Tegan saying that Glass Diamonds will have a new release sooner rather than later. I'm more wounded from her and Jaymes both saying that Voltaire Twins are done! I'm not even sure why - the new singles are a bit more "glittery disco cave" as they put it but they still fit in the Twins' sound, and even with a name change I just want then to keep some of my old faves in the live set alongside the new stuff. Those tunes mean way too much to me.

I can't get through Camp Cope's album, for the same reason I don't do much rap or why I never have the TV on in the background: it's like somebody is talking to me and I have to give every second my undivided attention. I can't read a book, can't write, can't even scroll through Twitter without it irritating me, but it's boring as hell to only sit there listening to it - I've never just sat down and listened to an entire album, not even my all-time favourites. This is perhaps a bit strange coming from me as a lyrics guy. But if Camp Cope are on a gig lineup, sure I'll see them, their music is interesting enough and I love a lot of their messages and what they are trying to do in the scene.

I can't listen to music while working or reading, at all. I also can't just lie rakishly on my fainting couch and listen to music. So it's basically while tinkering with something that engages my hands but not my brain, or not at all. I will leave the rest to your imagination.

Tried Gang of Youths debut but wasn’t my cup of tea.
Vital signs was ok. Are their more recent Lp’s. better?

They are very u2/fleet foxes sounding. Very Aussie sound

Any new bands who sound like any of the following:

Greatest Aussie Bands
1. Powderfinger
2. AC/DC
3. Jet

Crowded House I know of as they are Kiwi

And Crowded House are Australian. Formed in Melbourne with two-thirds of the founding members from Victoria.

Powderfinger, as I've said before, are such a strange one. They were huge when they were active, but completely forgotten the instant they retired.

It's like they never existed.

Back
Top Bottom