Asian Pop/Rock (And Connections to U2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me neither. Apart from metalheads I thought I'd never vind Jpop/rock and kpop/rockers around here.
Interference never fails to amaze me.

My uncle introduced me to Japanese rock by showing me XJapan
and so I went exploring and found more and more.
I went trough phases of only liking the Visual Kei bands,
especially the more heavy stuff, like X , Dir en Grey.
To the more poppy side. I think Utada is great,
and Gackt as well, then I went to liking Glay,
which made me go back to the more happy clappy kind of 90's pop.
Think T.M. Revolution, Iceman...
Plastic Tree, One OK Rock are bands I still really appreciate now.
I think the Japanese music scene is very great, mixed with some very terrible stuff.

Sorry I never found this thread before :doh:

I'm a longtime U2 die-hard since the 80's, and I LOVE JPOP and JROCK!

I absolutely love L'arc en Ciel, they are my favorite, and HYDE's solo work as well.

I also love Utada Hikaru, TM Revolution, Gackt, Yoko Kanno, B'z, Glay, Gazette, Fukuyama Masaharu, I could go on and on, but I probably have more Japanese music on my iPod now than any other type. You are not alone.

I got into Japanese music from watching Japanese TV dramas, and after watching them I started downloading the soundtracks, which had a lot of JPOP on them of course. From there I got into Japanese rock as well.

I am currently heavy into Korean dramas, but haven't found KPOP to be quite as interesting to me yet. Japan has all the Johnny's boy bands, but it seems boy bands and girl bands are even more prominent in Korea than Japan and I just can't get into that stuff.

What are some good Korean rock bands?

All those Japanese artists are so awesome - it's good to know I'm not alone in that regard, L'arc even has a U2 sound in some of their songs!

Korean rock bands... I posted some examples a few replies back in this thread. Cherry Filter is really addictive pop rock, their song "A Duck Flies" or anything off their third album is really good. TRAX is a little harder, there's No Brain which is a punk band. Seo Taiji is definently the heaviest, almost Linkin Park/experimental sounding stuff.

Haha Korean dramas! Which ones are you watching/have watched?

Me neither. Apart from metalheads I thought I'd never vind Jpop/rock and kpop/rockers around here.
Interference never fails to amaze me.

I know! Isn't it crazy? X-Japan has that one song that's 30 minutes long, "Art of Life", really wild.

You're right, there's def. some good and bad mixed in, I'm about 3 years behind. What's good in the J-music scene now?
That Karasu clip was pretty catchy.

As far as Korean dramas, I am watching Alone in Love right now.

So far I have seen Winter Sonata, Stairway to Heaven, Lovers in Paris, Someday, How to Meet a Perfect Neighbor, Gloria, Country Princess, Coffee Prince, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, Bodyguard, Beethoven Virus, Soulmate and Snow White.

I know! Isn't it crazy? X-Japan has that one song that's 30 minutes long, "Art of Life", really wild.

You're right, there's def. some good and bad mixed in, I'm about 3 years behind. What's good in the J-music scene now?
That Karasu clip was pretty catchy.

I'm right there with you, haven't searched for decent Jrock in ages.:lol:
Shame really. Last thing I found was this catchy song.

They have terrible looks and clips. But the guitar parts and little piano parts in between are great. Not a bad voice either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOOq4udLks&playnext=1&list=PL11F39CBC86EC9EB5

I wonder why no one's mentioned Ayumi Hamasaki by now. I love her stuff. She started out as a high pitched poppy voice, but now her voice has mellowed out and she's gravitated to more of a rock sound.

I also like Every Little Thing, Do As Infinity, and I really like Ayaka.

I also love alan. She's from Tibet, and her family name is what she uses for a stage name. She sings in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and has a song or something in her native Tibetan. :love:

I don't know how my Asian music collection compares to the rest of my music collection, but I often jokingly wonder if I couldn't have gotten into something cheaper, lol.

I wonder why no one's mentioned Ayumi Hamasaki by now. I love her stuff. She started out as a high pitched poppy voice, but now her voice has mellowed out and she's gravitated to more of a rock sound.

I also like Every Little Thing, Do As Infinity, and I really like Ayaka.

I also love alan. She's from Tibet, and her family name is what she uses for a stage name. She sings in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and has a song or something in her native Tibetan. :love:

I don't know how my Asian music collection compares to the rest of my music collection, but I often jokingly wonder if I couldn't have gotten into something cheaper, lol.

i like a bit ayumi's music. alan's voice is quite impressive for someone so tiny.:D i prefer han hong's voice over hers though.

Rileybug - wow, that's a huge amount. Most of those are really great. Coffee Prince really messes with your perception of things!

I also love alan. She's from Tibet, and her family name is what she uses for a stage name. She sings in Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, and has a song or something in her native Tibetan.

I think she sung the theme song to John Woo's Red Cliff (which is a spectacular action movie) - and yes she is really tiny!

That Ergo Proxy song was great - much darker than the normal J-rock I hear, unique vibe and atmosphere, can't really put my finger on it.

solemole, what's the name of that band? is a lot of chinese rock like this song? really interesting to see another chinese rock band after Brain Damage.

and.. is your location (in a series of dreams) a Bob Dylan reference to "Series of Dreams?"

Solo artist: A-Yue.

Not a lot of chinese rock in general are like this (AFAIK), most Chinese rock I've heard in my travels are cheezy 80s pop.

Google the artist. There's also amusing Youtube videos of white guys karaoking at home to his music.

And, yes in regards to Bob Dylan.

And, yes in regards to Bob Dylan.

Off topic, but "Series of Dreams" is one of my absolute favorite Dylan tracks.

Daniel Lanois produced that song, it sounds like Dylan meets "Where The Streets Have No Name."

And back to Asian pop!

Back
Top Bottom