Arcade Fire 2: Arcade Harder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just realized I see them again next week (for some reason I thought it was two weeks out) when they stop in my little Neighborhood to play for some 1800 people out of the sheer kindness of their awesome selves.

I'm so incredibly happy that 1,800 people is a small crowd for them now. When I first saw them four years ago in a crowd of 2,000 (with The National opening), it was par for the course for them. Now, it's damn near impossible to get tickets to the same show in a room that can fit 10,000. Their story is a truly awesome one.

I'm so incredibly happy that 1,800 people is a small crowd for them now. When I first saw them four years ago in a crowd of 2,000 (with The National opening), it was par for the course for them. Now, it's damn near impossible to get tickets to the same show in a room that can fit 10,000. Their story is a truly awesome one.

Yeah, I seem to be going backwards with them. I first saw them at Madison Square Garden (25,000 people), then Denver (6,000) now NM (1800). :crack:

Given the fact that I've only been able to see them in crowds of some 50,000+, I'll relish the opportunity to see a proper show.

I attended the show last night as well. I was very impressed how well the new songs off The Suburbs sounded live. Month of May, Rococo, Suburban War, Ready To Start, and of course We Used To Wait, were all awesome.

Apparently Win's grandpa lived in Utah for a long time, and he used to visit a lot, which was news to me. They also apparently had a bunch of family and friends at the show, so apparently they still have some sort of connection.

At the outdoor show at Thanksgiving Pt, Utah in '07, Win mentioned that he and Will used to spend a lot of time in 'those mountains behind us' with their Grandpa growing up. Both were also raised in the predominant religion, although are (obviously?) no longer practicing.

My only complaint is the show seemed to go so fast. I wish I could go see Arcade Fire again tonight.

I think Dalton was sitting next to us. Doesn't he seem like the checkered shorts type? (or am I just thinking about his past?)

Agreed!

Where were you? GA, seats?

Seats, and closer to the back, but still had a good view since its not a huge venue. I wish I woulda been in GA. I missed when they went on sale, and so my buddy just picked up a couple tix a week or so ago. I was surprised there wasn't enough ticket demand to open up the upper level of seats though. Still a pretty good crowd I thought.

Didn't the crowd seem really young though? Maybe I'm just hitting that realization that I'm one of 'the old guys' at concerts now, but man it seemed like there were a lot of high school age people there. And yeah the sound sucked at first, I was glad they seemed to fix it a few songs in.

I enjoyed The Local Natives as well, I need to go find their album.

joyfulgirl said:
I think Dalton was sitting next to us. Doesn't he seem like the checkered shorts type? (or am I just thinking about his past?)

The headdress would have tipped you off.

He can afford douchebag seats after his starring role on Twin Peaks:

photo_031.jpg

I thought of that, but since he knew I'd be there, he may have tried to go incognito, like an ordinary Denver guy (who are all very white and wear checkered shorts).

In fact, much as I like Denver audiences, it's always the whitest, blondest bunch of people under one roof I've ever seen.

Even if he skipped the headdress, the checkered shorts would have been supported with a belt made of human scalps. You'll know our man Dalton when you see him.

So, at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, is this where I can bitch about the setlist?

I have two issues: Wake Up should always close a show. It's just the perfect send off, in my opinion.

Also, I hate that they broke up Power Out and Rebellion. Those two go together so well, it's just such a magical moment and my favourite part of the show.

That said, I did enjoy their Coachella set. A lot.

Ha! I had those same thoughts. I didn't like Sprawl II as the closer.

That thing they did with the balloons looked really cool (did they just have little sensors or something in them, so someone in a booth was controlling the lights?), but I have to say, I would have been kind of pissed if I couldn't see because everyone around me was holding up these giant balloons.

When the song started, it felt like it would be a good closer, but the ending is a bit drawn out and way too anti-climactic.

My only complaint about this awesome band is that they are poor at ending their tracks. And, I feel silly saying that since I'm just some fucking guy without any musical ability or knowledge, but to me......it's a small flaw of theirs.

I'll go away now....but I'll be fucking back someday.

I've listened to many, many hours of Arcade Fire music, and I still have no idea what you guys are talking about re: them being poor at finishing songs, and I've never heard it referenced outside of this forum. Must be whatever they lace the blue crack with.

The thing is, though, that it is actually a trend with them. That's why I said it. What you think, Dan, does not, at all, in any way, shape or form, matter.

I don't think it's that they end their live songs badly so much as they are not very good at coming up with smooth transitions in their live show.

Back
Top Bottom