Another List Thread (Discourse = One Paddlin')

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cobbler, Cobbler, Cobbler. :tsk:

Look, all you gotta do, really, is figure out two or three of her favourite songs, then build from there, making sure that it sounds good together and there isn't any lyrical dissonance. Remember, someone else's poetry is being used to express how you feel. Make sure the lyrics say what you want to say.

She wants to know that what she says matters to you, and that you'll be attentive. There's a fine line between "He knows me so well" and "OMG, he's google-/facebook-stalking me!" So if you figure out a few of her favourite things through getting to know her, great. Use that. Take notes in your phone if you have to. Surprising her with something oddly specific that she posted on her facebook page two months ago is creepy, especially if you're not yet facebook friends.

...Did I just give Cobbler ladyfriend advice?

You don't think "fall in love with me... I wish you would" repeated for 50 minutes will work?

Yeah, you need something much more subtle. Let's see...

Red Delicious - Want Me
INXS - Need You Tonight
Rolling Stones - Let's Spend The Night Together
The Cure - Let's Go To Bed
The Faders - No Sleep Tonight
Bad Company - Feel Like Makin' Love
George Michael - I Want Your Sex
Soundgarden - Big Dumb Sex
Clarence Carter - Strokin'
Love And Rockets - Here Come The Comedown
Green Day - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

:lol::lol:

Cobbler, it's gotta ride that line between trying to woo with music and being playful. The best mixes are extensions of your taste and also of how you want to be presented to your potential lady.

When I built mine, I knew that we shared a ton of similar interests, so it allowed me to open up the playbook, so to speak. I like structuring any mix with 2 sides, that way it allows me to plot specific moods and genres. It doesn't have to all "go together" or segue and whatnot if you wanna go super eclectic.

That was what I meant when I asked about the "rigours", I was talking about segues and flows and transitions, since you have a good DI record. I was being jovial the last few posts, I'm not that thick people ;)

Danny Boy said:

Red Delicious - Want Me
INXS - Need You Tonight

How subtle... And they say romance is dead...

Red Delicious - Want Me
INXS - Need You Tonight

That last one is worrisome :lol:

Reggo said:
:tsk: "Pop Muzik" was by M. :nerd:

Except for the version U2 released.

Pop Muzik PopMart Mix (8:50) Last Night on Earth Single - U2 Last Night on Earth Promo Single - U2 Pop Muzik Promo - U2 PopMart Sampler Promo - U2 PopMart Mix Radio Edit (4:04) Pop Muzik Promo - U2 Live (Pre-Taped), Mexico City, December 3, 1997 (3:07) Hasta La Vista Baby Album - U2

That was what I meant when I asked about the "rigours", I was talking about segues and flows and transitions, since you have a good DI record. I was being jovial the last few posts, I'm not that thick people ;)

I don't acknowledge the Queen's English.

Another human being who knows the meaning of that song! :hyper:

I'd be worried if Green Day didn't know the meaning of that song :wink: Or are they mutant robots?

And how do you know I'm not a robot?
(I suppose there may be photographic evidence...damn)

bands i've recently decided i can't get enough of:
xiu xiu
led zeppelin

songs making me laugh at the moment:
screeching weasel - i hate led zeppelin

Gym ipod songs from this morning:
1. Paper Planes--MIA
2. Jeremy's Storm--Tame Impala
3. Have Love Will Travel--The Black Keys
4. Hustle Up--Galactic
5. Still Life--The Horrors
6. Never Stop--Echo and the Bunnymen
7. Future Heart--Young Widows
8. Bernadette--The Four Tops
9. Doing the Crawdaddy--Bo Diddley

With apologies to all, but crap, if we followed Alice Cooper's theory, the Horrors need to change their name to Mild Cartoon Violence. What happened to these guys? Will their singer still try to climb the curtains when they perform here, like he did last time? Probably not. :sigh:

I don't think the lead singer will ever change, but the music doesn't quite suit his oddities anymore, no.

Gym ipod songs from this morning:
1. Paper Planes--MIA

ok, i went looking for the right smiley and it seems that
1. there are a bunch of smilies that i have
1a. never seen people on here use
1b. i didn't know we had
2. it must exist on another message board, because IF currently does not boast a bloody axe murder slaughter of a second smiley, which is the only thing that comes to mind when i think of that song. that's right, i think of smilies killing each other. painfully. with axes, yo.

violent-smiley-1363.gif

???

I'd be worried if Green Day didn't know the meaning of that song :wink: Or are they mutant robots?

And how do you know I'm not a robot?
(I suppose there may be photographic evidence...damn)

OK, another non-Green-Day person who knows the meaning of that song. Too many people ignore the "Good Riddance" part of the title. Gotta love a sweet, sentimental ballad that's a giant "fuck you" to Billie Joe's ex-girlfriend.

How do you know I'm not a robot? I'm Joe Robot.

If you get that reference, I am authorised to give you 300 internets.

The fact is, a lot of people don't even know the real name of the song to begin with.

But, I think we're getting to a point where that little piece of trivia is hardly trivia anymore.

And, let's be honest, the lyrics don't exactly SCREAM, "I hate all of you, so glad I'm getting out of here."

The fact is, a lot of people don't even know the real name of the song to begin with.

But, I think we're getting to a point where that little piece of trivia is hardly trivia anymore.

And, let's be honest, the lyrics don't exactly SCREAM, "I hate all of you, so glad I'm getting out of here."

That's why it's hilarious when people play it out of context, like using "One" during a wedding.

But that's what I'm saying, to me, I don't find it all that hilarious. I guess, the song means one thing to Billie Joe, but to so many other people that chorus just means something else, and without any real strong context in the lyrics themselves, and just Billie Joe's word to go on, it's not a shock to me that the song has been "misappropriated" so very many times.

I listened to this song carefully over and over before putting it on a goodbye-mix for a friend who was moving away. I thought that except for the title it could easily be heard as a song about moving on after something sweet came to an end. I assumed my friend would interpret the title as endearing sarcasm. I actually knew what it meant to Billie Joe; I just think people aren't that literal when they listen to music. Or I'm not, anyway. I figure the artist wants the listener to make it personal.

I don't see how that song could be misinterpreted. I hear "breakup" all over it.

Artists I've discovered this summer
1. R.E.M.
2. Coldplay
3. Florence & the Machine

...slow, aren't I...

OK, another non-Green-Day person who knows the meaning of that song. Too many people ignore the "Good Riddance" part of the title. Gotta love a sweet, sentimental ballad that's a giant "fuck you" to Billie Joe's ex-girlfriend.

How do you know I'm not a robot? I'm Joe Robot.

If you get that reference, I am authorised to give you 300 internets.

I really enjoy being non-Green Day when they're supposed to be right around the corner :lol: SHOW YOURSELVES, WHERE ARE YOU, BAND.

Sorry, he sounds important, but I have no clue...

I have no idea how people could...wait...there's a list here

The 'Why the fuck are you playing this at your wedding you idiot' List:

1. U2—One
2. Green Day—Good Riddance...etc

(I think the answer to that would most commonly be "I didn't listen to the lyrics" :|)

I can never understand why people play "You Give Love A Bad Name" at weddings, or similar such songs.

If you're drunk enough to appreciate You Give Love A Bad Name, you're not going to catch on to irony.

Back
Top Bottom