Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha they released that piece of shit Today's Supernatural over Applesauce and Father Time? Turns out it's by far the worst thing here.

I like this album. I like it a lot. It's accessible like MPP but just a touch stranger. It took a while for MPP to reveal its quality to me, so I'm assuming the same will be true of this, a denser and busier record.

It's a step below the last four albums.....the songs are all a little too jammy/repetitive....you could argue the same for MPP, but that album had really catchy hooks and compelling beats/productions, whereas this one is pretty washed out. There's at least two tracks (especially "Monkey Riches") that really don't go anywhere.

Overall, it's another quality album, but a lot of these songs had more life on stage than they do here. My favorites are Today's Supernatural, Rosie Oh, Wide Eyed and Father Time.

After one listen to the stream it's okay but I'm not feeling the urge to run out and buy it. But maybe it's a grower. MPP was a hard act to follow.

Nope, don't think this is for me. To me most of it sounds like weirdness for weirdness' sake. I know that sounds a bit ignorant and naive and it probably is but that was the impression I got. And keep in mind I came on board with MPP, I don't know any of their other stuff, DI tracks aside. The entire thing sounds like it was made in a bathtub. There's some flashes of great music but pretty inaccessible/unenjoyable I felt.

Applesauce, Wide Eyed and Father Time is a pretty sweet stretch though.

/friggincobbler

If you were you turned off by this album, I can't see any reason to recommend the albums before MPP; even I struggle with them for the most part. There are numerous examples of weird-for-weirdness' sake scattered throughout Sung Tongs. In contrast, I found Centipede Hz pretty accessible. I liked it immediately, although a few tracks slipped by me.

Person Pitch should be your next stop, if you want to hear anything else AC-related.

They hand out a reasonable score to an AC album and it's to one of the actually pretty good ones? Fuck that.

Scumbo-proofing this:

Downloading the rip of this that was posted on AtEase and the file is called "FantasyFootball2012" or something like that. Cracked me up.

Boy oh boy, I just find something new to fall in love with every trip through this. So what if it doesn't measure up to the past few?

What did you think of it?

Also, why have you chosen an avatar that appears to be my enemy? :wink:

Now that NSW is gone, I had to move on from SEPTA and go with someone else's enemy. I chose you, lunger.

I am listening to it right now. It's not grabbing me like MPP did, but I expected that.

Who is singing on Wide Eyed? Doesn't sound like Avey or Panda.

Finally got around to this one today, and I liked it a lot more than I expected. I have always been lukewarm on this band, thinking that they have moments of brilliance but usually more instances where they completely overreach themselves. I think this is the first album of theirs I have heard where nothing feels like a drastically failed experiment. The flow is excellent, and that stretch from Applesauce to Father Time is indeed stellar. I guess all this is to say that I find it strange that this is the AC album that the critics have chosen not to applaud.

The stretch from "Applesauce" to "Monkey Riches" is as good as anything they've ever done.

I'm really enjoying this record on second listen. Moonjock is such a good opener.

Listening to this after a while, and I think I'm liking this even more than I did when it came out.

And how the fuck does this post have only 6 pages?? Shame on you Interference! :angry:

Grim Reaper leaked super early.

Guys, get hyped. This is really fantastic. There's a ton of variety here (it starts fairly typical of post-MPP Panda Bear, while Tropic of Cancer and Lonely Wanderer remind me of Feels) but the sequencing is so great that it flows perfectly. Excellent production, simple, effective melodies and really no bad tracks. I love this.

Back
Top Bottom