An audience with Brian Eno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shame that this thread won't get the traffic it deserves. But I think Eno is such an interesting guy, and for more than just the music he's made.

I really like what he says here (from the Lanois "Here Is What Is" film). I play it (the soundtrack album) regularly in my car. It's best to just listen to the clip and not be distracted by the visuals in this video.

He is very right. So many people (self included) do not always pursue certain creative ideas (whether signing up for the school play, putting a business idea in motion, etc.) for the reasons he says here. Life is too short to doubt oneself.

YouTube - Daniel Lanois & Brian Eno Here Is What Is

I especially like this part of the article that you posted:

On the intensity of Ideas

"If you grow up in a very strong religion like Catholicism you certainly cultivate in yourself a certain taste for the intensity of ideas. You expect to be engaged with ideas strongly whether you are for or against them. If you are part of a religion that very strongly insists that you believe then to decide not to do that is quite a big hurdle to jump over. You never forget the thought process you went through. It becomes part of your whole intellectual picture."

I think that he (and Lanois) have done so much for U2's music. Here is a pretty obvious example I think. Listen to this track from his Another Green World album. I don't think there is any doubt that he loaned this tune to U2 during the making of The Joshua Tree, and it became "With or Without You". It matches the bass line and tempo almost perfectly, and you can practically hear the With or Without You lyrics right on top.

YouTube - Brian Eno - The Big Ship

Back
Top Bottom