All things Mark Kozelek

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought the new album was out, but I see that was incorrect, so I'm going back to my roots and listening to April for the first time in years. It's nice to remember there was a time before he was a bit of a meme.

It is out digitally, I listened to it on Spotify last Friday.
Oh really? Google doesn't have it, but on the other hand, they don't have a few of his other albums either. They don't have it on the Metacritic calendar either. Ah well, just have to wait until tomorrow or the day after. Next time I'm feeling a bit moody.

I don't really like the album yet, parts of it are completely awful and misguided, but absolutely everyone needs to listen to it at least once, even people who have never heard of or don't like Mark Kozelek's music. It's a totally unforgettable listening experience, the sound of a man that no longer gives a fuck flaming out in front of us. It will likely build a cult following and it wouldn't surprise me to see some outlets champion it as a masterpiece.

Philadelphia Cop will be the track to split the camps up. If you love that shit, you're in for a good time.

Last edited:
Even Liam doesn't like it. I'm nervously excited to hear it now, but it seems he had two divergent paths from Benji and he took the troll path, which is bitterly disappointing.

Two minutes into the first song and it already feels like it's gone for an hour.

How did you listen to it LM? I usually strongly prefer to sit down with the lyrics in front of me but I'm not paying $30 for the CD when I might not like it and two hours 10 minutes is a fucking long time.

For the first half, I read the graphic novel Fun Home and sat on my couch eating chips while the album played. Then I went to bed, woke up and listened to the second half without doing much of anything else. I think I made breakfast. Point is, I didn't give the lyrics the closest attention on first go and tried to focus on how the vocals sounded rhythmically and melodically. On my next listen, I'll focus on the lyrics. This is a pretty typical listening pattern for me.

Last edited:
Up to the fourth song. It's a fucking horrible album. Don't know how you tried to focus on how the vocals sounded rhythmically and melodically, there's no rhythm or melody to speak of. I'm hoping there'll be one song somewhere on it that's really beautiful that I can take away on its own. I've got high hopes for "I Love You Forever and Beyond Eternity".

Haha, the album actually gets stranger and uglier as it goes along. There's this string of tracks towards the end that all concern mass homicide and gun control. It gets pretty dark. I took a lot of interest in that but there's not much happening musically.

Seventies TV Show Theme Song or whatever it's called is fucking hilarious, it's like the Koz version of I Love Kanye.

Finally done. What an absolute piece of shit. This makes me wish I was at Pitchfork, I'd be slapping a 1.5 or 2 on this album. I Love Portugal is the only thing that's close to redeemable, with about 75% of it being really good, and there's some a couple of nice elements in Lone Star and Early June Blues but that's seriously it. Fucking garbage. :down:

Just listening to Benji, it's really upsetting me that he's chosen the path he has. I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love is so lovely. I guess we'll always have this album, but it sucks that double-tracked, no-effort vocals is what he's trading in now.

Interestingly, despite the fact he only just released an album that is breathtaking in its complete and utter shittiness, he's just put out an EP that's actually quite lovely. It's called Night Talks and the title track and Pretty Little Flowers are the best songs he's released since Benji.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom