Accelerate - REM album - March 31 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R.E.M. played the Langerado festival last night. Here's the set list they played;

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Living Well is the Best Revenge
Bad Day
Drive
Hollow Man
So. Central Rain
Fall on Me
Imitation of Life
Man-Sized Wreath
Begin the Begin
Orange Crush
Accelerate
Electrolite
Houston
Losing My Religion
Horse to Water
Walk Unafraid
The One I Love
Supernatural Superserious
Auctioneer (Another Engine)
I'm Gonna DJ
Man on the Moon

Another unnecessary little bump of this thread by me, sorry.

But apparently Stipe came onstage at the Langerado gig wearing a bright green OBAMA t-shirt. This is one of the best things I've heard in the last few days and confirms my immense love and adoration of both J. Michael Stipe and Barack Obama. :up:

Awesome setlist, too.

Final Straw said:
R.E.M. played the Langerado festival last night. Here's the set list they played;

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Living Well is the Best Revenge
Bad Day
Drive
Hollow Man
So. Central Rain
Fall on Me
Imitation of Life
Man-Sized Wreath
Begin the Begin
Orange Crush
Accelerate
Electrolite
Houston
Losing My Religion
Horse to Water
Walk Unafraid
The One I Love
Supernatural Superserious
Auctioneer (Another Engine)
I'm Gonna DJ
Man on the Moon

:up: Excellent.

corianderstem said:
Oh man, BEGIN THE BEGIN. Love it, love it, love it.

:drool:

And nothing from Around the Sun. I like.

In my Top 5 R.E.M. songs, if not Top 3.

Lucky to have seen this live.

Wait, I thought you LIKED Around the Sun?

I don't think Around the Sun is nearly as bad as you do, and on good days, I think it's a pleasant album.

However ...

I have no desire to hear the songs live again. I heard them live in concert, and liked them well enough, but I'm ready to move on to either revisit some oldies, and hear the new stuff.

corianderstem said:
I don't think Around the Sun is nearly as bad as you do, and on good days, I think it's a pleasant album.

"Pleasant" is not exactly what I'm looking for in an R.E.M. album. It's certainly not a superlative. My grandparents were "pleasant". I don't think I'd want to hear them play music for an hour either.

Hee!

"Pleasant" was probably far too mild a word. I'll just go with "I don't think it's all that bad, other than a few songs I really can't stand."

I Wanted To Be Wrong popped up on my iPod this morning, and I realized how much I like that one. I also really like the title track and The Boy In The Well.

corianderstem said:
Hee!

"Pleasant" was probably far too mild a word. I'll just go with "I don't think it's all that bad, other than a few songs I really can't stand."

I Wanted To Be Wrong popped up on my iPod this morning, and I realized how much I like that one. I also really like the title track and The Boy In The Well.

"I Wanted to Be Wrong" would have been a better title song. I would have said, Mission Accomplished, boys!

:wink:

Wouldn't call Around The Sun more "pleasant" than Reveal. Around The Sun is more intrguing, some fascinating tunes and some fasinating lyrical content. Aftermath and Wanderlust are nicely upbeat and pleasant to the ear, but High Speed Train and Boy In The Well are anything but that.

Final Straw is REM's worst song though.

Yeah, Stipe hasn't written a good political song since the 80's. Ignoreland is what really drags Automatic down from masterpiece status for me. Awful lyrics, awful music.

I agree - Ignoreland doesn't fit with the rest of the album. Its sound would have fit better on Monster.

It would have fit better on their tape machine's erase head.

The lyrics are way too overt; compared to the poetic subtlety of something like Welcome to the Occupation or Exhuming McCarthy (among others) they're flat-out embarrassing.

Because cori got me on an R.E.M. kick, can I just say that Begin the Begin, These Days and I Believe got me so energized on the treadmill yesterday that I almost fell off.

I want the new R.E.M. record to be really really good. :grumpy:

Listened to Begin The Begin, Free Radio Europe, Talk About The Passion, and Pretty Persuasion today. :drool: Twas fun. Accelerate better be amazing. :mad:

From Indie 103.1 in LA:

R.E.M. is performing live and we are broadcasting it. In this sixty-minute, live radio special, R.E.M. will exclusively debut select songs from their new release, Accelerate. Join host Jody Denberg along with Michael Stipe, Peter Buck and Mike Mills as they broadcast live from Austin City Limits on Thursday, March 13 at 7PM Pacific. The show will conclude with an exclusive live performance from the band. It's all right after the rebroadcast of Jonesy's Jukebox.

I believe this "listening party" is happening a week before the Facebook one. You can stream the channel online if you're not in LA.

^ I'm totally staying up for it. I think the R.E.M. portion of the webcast starts in about a half hour. I'm geeked. It'll be just like being at the actual concert!:hyper:

Except I'll be sitting in my computer chair eating leftover pizza.

Still, I'm pumped. Hoping for a badass set. I wonder how different it will be to the Langerado setlist :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom