90's Nostalgia: What are your Top 20 Albums of the 1990's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Radiohead - Ok Computer
3. Nirvana - Nevermind
4. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
5. REM - New Adventures in Hi-Fi
6. Oasis - What's the story morning glory?
7. Madonna - Ray of light
8. Cranberries - Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we?
9. Bob Dylan - Time out of Mind
10. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II

1. The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

That "Spiderbite" song makes me cry :sad:

There are only 3 albums that I have placed in order:
1) U2 - Achtung Baby
2) Madonna - Ray of Light
3) U2 - Zooropa

Others that stand out, in no particular order:
Depeche Mode - Violator
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Nirvana - Nevermind
U2 - Pop
Maná - Dónde Jugarán Los Niños?
Soda Stereo - Canción Animal

I appreciate your thoughts and music choices listed BUT I have zero interest in anything hip- hop or rap related. Way too much sexism towards women, violence , racism , use of the "N" word and general excessive profanity for my tastes.

This is just incredibly ignorant. I know I shouldn't get worked up, but this really annoys me. Fair enough if hip-hop isn't your thing but you have to have legitimate reasons. You can't dislike an entire genre because you've heard five songs and you heard a lyric like "fuck bitches" or something. I strongly dislike metal. I've said ignorant things about it in the past but now I am happy to acknowledge that there's a lot of talent that goes into the music, and I've listened to it with an open mind, but it's just not my thing.

You should listen to Aquemini. Try this track. If you don't like it, fair enough. But it proves that your comments about hip-hop are ignorant.

Outkast - SpottieOttieDopaliscious - YouTube

Anyway, my top 10. Rolling with one per artist (Dr Dre, Flaming Lips, Outkast, Pearl Jam, Radiohead and U2 all had multiples in my shortlist).

U2 - Achtung Baby (1991)
Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
Outkast - Aquemini (1998)
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin (1999)
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing... (1996)
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers (1993)
GZA - Liquid Swords (1995)
Nas - Illmatic (1994)
Pearl Jam - Vs (1993)
Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)

I'll have a shot. Not that I've heard oo many 90's albums. U2, Godspeed and dEUS could have multiple albums (EP in Godspeed's case) in there.

1. U2 - Achtung Baby
2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#
3. dEUS - In A Bar, Under the Sea
4. Radiohead - OK Computer
5. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
6. Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
7. Mogwai - Young Team
8. Procupine Tree - Stupid Dream
9. Autechre - Tri Repetae
10. R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-fi

U2 - Achtung Baby
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Radiohead - OK Computer
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
Majke - Razdor
Depeche Mode - Violator
Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

Somebody mentioned Whip-Smart. I can't believe I forgot Liz Phair's first album, Exile in Guyville (1993)!! That is an all-time classic that pisses all over every grunge album ever made by hairy men with flannel shirts.

It's a masterpiece, and definitely the more "important" album. I just found Whip-Smart to be a little more adventurous musically and lyrically. Close call, though.

U2 - Achtung Baby
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic
Radiohead - OK Computer
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
R.E.M. - Monster
Wilco - Summerteeth

For now, at least.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
U2 - Achtung Baby
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Radiohead - The Bends
Throwing Muses - University
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Lush - Gala
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Cranes - Loved
Veruca Salt - American Thighs

Wow, this is hard. Most of my favorite artists come from this era, but for many, I judge over a span of albums; none of the individual (90's) albums floor me from start to finish (Sunny Day Real Estate, Matthew Sweet, R.E.M., Pearl Jam). And I'm shocked how many 90's artists I only got into in the 2000's to present (Flaming Lips, Built to Spill, Wilco). No particular order.

Ride - Nowhere
The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic
Blur - Parklife
Pavement - Brighten the Corners
Radiohead - OK Computer
Pale Saints - The Comforts of Madness
Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites
U2 - Achtung Baby
Built to Spill - Keep It Like a Secret
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin

it seems a bit hypocritical to toss aside the entire genre of hip-hop with labels like "sexist towards women" and "violent" and complaints of "excessive profanity" while in the same breath praising the band nine inch nails whose most famous song features the chorus "i want to fuck you like an animal."

it seems a bit hypocritical to toss aside the entire genre of hip-hop with labels like "sexist towards women" and "violent" and complaints of "excessive profanity" while in the same breath praising the band nine inch nails whose most famous song features the chorus "i want to fuck you like an animal."

This.

It's pretty obvious that people who think that all rap/hip is sexist towards women, violent and use excessive profanity probably haven't listened to a whole heck of alot of it at all really, much less all of it.

I don't know if I can bother with making my millionth top 10 90s album list, but I think in all fairness, it would be pretty tough damn near impossible for me to have a top 10 list from any of the last 4 decades (incl this one) without at least one hip hop album.

#2 DEPECHE MODE - VIOLATOR (1990)

Violator is Depeche Mode's most mainstream, chart-climbing album. Although it contains only nine tracks, half of them are tailor-made for the dance floor. This album was conceived when dance-club DJs were gaining recognition alongside original composers. Heavily influenced by techno-pop, the singles "Policy of Truth," "Enjoy the Silence," and "World in My Eyes" prove that DM did their homework. A particular highlight on this fantastic album is the bluesy guitar line Martin Gore lays down on top of the synth-dominated grooves on "Personal Jesus."

All in all, this had to be DM's tour-de-force, at least as far as their '80's sound. Released in 1990, it closed that chapter in their musical evolution with a bang that left the listeners waiting to hear what would come next. A brilliant album of musical excellence and gothic bliss.

Amazon.com said:
Violator is Depeche Mode's most mainstream, chart-climbing album. Although it contains only nine tracks, half of them are tailor-made for the dance floor. This album was conceived when dance-club DJs were gaining recognition alongside original composers. Heavily influenced by techno-pop, the singles "Policy of Truth," "Enjoy the Silence," and "World in My Eyes" prove that DM did their homework. A particular highlight on this fantastic album is the bluesy guitar line Martin Gore lays down on top of the synth-dominated grooves on "Personal Jesus."

All in all, this had to be DM's tour-de-force, at least as far as their '80's sound. Released in 1990, it closed that chapter in their musical evolution with a bang that left the listeners waiting to hear what would come next. A brilliant album of musical excellence and gothic bliss.

Violator: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Interference,

As I listened to it from start to finish for the first time in 1997. I found the jolting guitar at the start of "Airbag" disconcerting, I now took comfort in it. Suddenly, I was able to see the epic beauty of "Paranoid Android". Subterranean Homesick Alien" became more than just another radio song; I finally heard and understood the simultaneous tranquility and desperation in its lyrics (Yorke makes alien abduction sound like quite the sublime experience). "Exit (Music For A Film)" and "Let Down" proved exquisite in both their pain and their majesty. And, on "Lucky" and "The Tourist" I found songs in which I could literally lose myself. Most importantly, I found a moment in each song that touched my soul (when Thom Yorke sings "it's going to be a glorious day" for the second time on "Lucky"; or when the chanting begins on "Paranoid Android"; or Yorke's sweet scream of "you'll know where you are" near the end of "Let Down").

It would be another four or five listens before I could fully process the thematic content of the lyrics on the album. Once I did, the power of the album truly struck me. On OKC, Radiohead vocalize the anxieties we all share about living in this microwaved age, but are too scared or deadened to verbalize ourselves. Are we sacrificing our humanity at the altar of technological advancement? Radiohead seem to reach a pretty bleak conclusion on OKC, but, in the end, the album moved me so much that I understood. What I've come to love about Radiohead's music is its very inaccessibility. It is NOT easy. It is (to employ an overused critical term) DIFFICULT.

Amazon Customer Review from 2000 said:
and listened to it from start to finish for the first time since I bought it. Where before, I found the jolting guitar at the start of "Airbag" disconcerting, I now took comfort in it. Suddenly, I was able to see the epic beauty of "Paranoid Android". "Subterranean Homesick Alien" became more than just another radio song; I finally heard and understood the simultaneous tranquility and desperation in its lyrics (Yorke makes alien abduction sound like quite the sublime experience). "Exit (Music For A Film)" and "Let Down" proved exquisite in both their pain and their majesty. And, on "Lucky" and "The Tourist" I found songs in which I could literally lose myself. Most importantly, I found a moment in each song that touched my soul (when Thom Yorke sings "it's going to be a glorious day" for the second time on "Lucky"; or when the chanting begins on "Paranoid Android"; or Yorke's sweet scream of "you'll know where you are" near the end of "Let Down"). Now, I understood what all that raving was about at the end of 1997, when critics tripped over themselves to praise this album as one of the decade's best. It would be another four or five listens before I could fully process the thematic content of the lyrics on the album. Once I did, the power of the album truly struck me. On OKC, Radiohead vocalize the anxieties we all share about living in this microwaved age, but are too scared or deadened to verbalize ourselves. Are we sacrificing our humanity at the altar of technological advancement? Radiohead seem to reach a pretty bleak conclusion on OKC, but, in the end, the album moved me so much that I bought "The Bends", an equally stunning gem. As with OKC, it took me a few listens to get into "The Bends", but the thing I've come to love about Radiohead's music is its very inaccessibility. It is NOT easy. It is (to employ an overused critical term) DIFFICULT.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: OK Computer [COLLECTOR'S EDITION- 2 CDs]

hahahaha what a fucking joke

Who wants to find the rest?

#3 OASIS - (WHAT'S THE STORY) MORNING GLORY? (1995)

It was just one of those odd moments. A beautiful day, and I was walking down the street listening to this album for the first time on my CD player, when I heard them sing: "Another sunny afternoon / walkin' to the sound of my favorite tune..." - and, in that final multiplication of weirdness, that song, Morning Glory, did soon after become one of my favorites as I fell hard for this incredible album.

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? is an expression of raw musical talent. The songs are loud, direct and unapologetic; the lyrics are ambiguous, but sung with real feeling. The tone shifts from the sunny Hey Now! and hard-driving, almost fierce Morning Glory to the more introspective Don't Look Back In Anger and Champagne Supernova, but even in its introspection, (What's the Story) is loud, direct and unapologetic. She's Electric, the only comical song (and pretty darn funny too), somehow doesn't break the mood.

Wonderwall, of course, is - Wonderwall. You could buy the album just for that song alone. When I think about it, though, I sometimes forget Wonderwall is even on here, the same way the rest of Talking Heads' Remain in Light shines seperately from Once in a Lifetime. Wonderwall in (What's the Story) is like the star on top of a Christmas Tree.

It's hard to compare Oasis with any other band from their era - at least, any other good one. Blur was more cerebral and affected, Suede was more sensual, and Morrissey's solo career was in transition. Whether or not Oasis was better than any of those acts is a matter of opinion, but their broad appeal certainly doesn't make them any worse, either. Personally I think they had something many of those other acts lacked, a kind of sincerity. There's something about that old-fashioned brand of rock - songs that just wear well, that bear listening over and over, chorus after ecstatic chorus. A soon to be classic, if it's not already.

Amazon Customer Review from 2005 said:
It was just one of those odd moments. A beautiful day, and I was walking down the street listening to this album for the first time on my CD player, when I heard them sing: "Another sunny afternoon / walkin' to the sound of my favorite tune..." - and, in that final multiplication of weirdness, that song, Morning Glory, did soon after become one of my favorites as I fell hard for this incredible album.

(What's the Story) Morning Glory? is an expression of raw musical talent. The songs are loud, direct and unapologetic; the lyrics are ambiguous, but sung with real feeling. The tone shifts from the sunny Hey Now! and hard-driving, almost fierce Morning Glory to the more introspective Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova, but even in its introspection, (What's the Story) is loud, direct and unapologetic. She's Electric, the only comical song (and pretty darn funny too), somehow doesn't break the mood.

Wonderwall, of course, is - Wonderwall. You could buy the album just for that song alone. When I think about it, though, I sometimes forget Wonderwall is even on here, the same way the rest of Talking Heads' Remain in Light shines seperately from Once in a Lifetime. Wonderwall in (What's the Story) is like the star on top of a Christmas Tree.

It's hard to compare Oasis with any other band from their era - at least, any other good one. Blur was more cerebral and affected, Suede was more sensual, and Morrissey's solo career was in transition. Whether or not Oasis was _better_ than any of those acts is a matter of opinion, but their broad appeal certainly doesn't make them any worse, either. Personally I think they had something many of those other acts lacked, a kind of sincerity. There's something about that old-fashioned brand of rock - songs that just wear well, that bear listening over and over, chorus after ecstatic chorus.

Amazon.com: Henry Platte's review of (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

OOO! OOO! This looks like a fun game!

Let me try. Let's see, did I do this correctly?

#5 NIRVANA - NEVERMIND (1991)

If you were born shortly before or after the death of Kurt Cobain, it's hard to imagine how revolutionary this CD was. When "Nevermind" exploded, it drew the line in rock. Bands that were otherwise obscure (Mudhoney, L7, Screaming Trees) were signed to major labels and enjoyed radio-play. Alternative bands that had been around for a few years that were already signed (Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains) became huge overnight. The early 90s was a really exciting time in rock. Radio had been infested with the likes of bad R&B, Pop and 4th generation hair rock BUT for a while, everything was new and fresh.

The only real drawback for me is that the revolution of "Nevermind" made people close minded about bands they had only just recently loved. Although it is a blessing that some of these bands were shown the door, i.e., Slaughter, a lot of good bands were discarded and trashed rightfully or not. "Nevermind" was certainly the death nail to all old-school rock.

Amazon.com: Daniel Maltzman's review of Nevermind

If you were born shortly before or after the death of Kurt Cobain, it's hard to imagine how revolutionary this CD was. When "Nevermind" exploded, it drew the line in rock. Bands that were otherwise obscure (Mudhoney, L7, Screaming Trees) were signed to major labels and enjoyed radio-play. Alternative bands that had been around for a few years that were already signed (Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains) became huge overnight. The early 90s was a really exciting time in rock. Radio had been infested with the likes of Slaughter and Trixter, and, for a while, everything was new and fresh.

The only real drawback for me is that the revolution of "Nevermind" made people close minded about bands they had only just recently loved. Although it is a blessing that some of these bands were shown the door, i.e., Slaughter, a lot of good bands were discarded and trashed rightfully or not. "Nevermind" was certainly the death nail to all old-school rock. Most of these bands were killed overnight.

Oh, one more, then I'm done. I'm sure you can find every single one if you wanted to. Maybe with a word or two changed to make it "his". And just to be clear, these reviews are a decade old in some cases, spread years apart, from different authors, and from different cities. What a fucking muppet

#7 SMASHING PUMPKINS-SIAMESE DREAM (1993)

The drum rolls, then falls away for a building electric guitar, a drum, and a searingly vibrant wall of sound that rises before your very ears. This is the start of "Siamese Dream," a vintage Smashing Pumpkins album and one of the best, most underrated alternative rock albums ever released.

Opening with a bang is the dizzying "Cherub Rock," a song that serves as a perfect springboard into the heart of this album. It can shift in an instant between pulse-pounding (the deceptively-named "Quiet") and more progressive ("Hummer"). Corgan's range stretches even to the quiet ("Sweet Sweet"), the dramatic ("Disarm" with its bells and violins) or the catchy ("Spaceboy").

Perhaps the most outstanding thing about the Pumpkins is their seamless blend of metal, neo-psychedelica and art-rock. The blasting electric riffs, sprawling melodies, and the whirling, sinuous guitars are all interwoven without so much as a sonic burp. At first glance, it seems like a fairly typical rock/metal album, but upon further listening, the alluringly complicated music begins to filter itself fully into your brain. Corgan's lyrics aren't for the perky among you -- angsty and introspective, while avoiding the trap of self-pity.

It's difficult to find a musical flaw with the Pumpkins in "Siamese Dream." Corgan's high voice flitters between murmuring and wailing. Backing him up are James Iha's layered, whirling guitar riffs and Jimmy Chamberlain's controlled, fast drumming. Acoustic guitar also gets to shine at the start of "Disarm." What sounds like church bells is even used.

Fiercely adventurious, brooding and expressive, "Siamese Dream" is a breathtaking ride into a majestic rock world all its own. Inventive and enticing, this is a modern classic.

Amazon Customer Review from 2004 said:
The drum rolls, then falls away for a building electric guitar, a drum, and a searingly vibrant wall of sound that rises before your very ears. This is the start of "Siamese Dream," a vintage Smashing Pumpkins album and one of the best, most underrated alternative rock albums ever released.

Opening with a bang is the dizzying "Cherub Rock," a song that serves as a perfect springboard into the heart of this album. It can shift in an instant between pulse-pounding (the deceptively-named "Quiet") and more progressive ("Hummer"). Corgan's range stretches even to the quiet ("Sweet Sweet"), the dramatic ("Disarm" with its bells and violins) or the catchy (the plaintive "Spaceboy").

Perhaps the most outstanding thing about the Pumpkins is their seamless blend of metal, neo-psychedelica and art-rock. The blasting electric riffs, sprawling melodies, and the whirling, sinuous guitars are all interwoven without so much as a sonic burp. At first glance, it seems like a fairly typical rock/metal album, but upon further listening, the alluringly complicated music begins to filter itself fully into your brain. Corgan's lyrics aren't for the perky among you -- angsty and introspective, while avoiding the trap of self-pity.

It's difficult to find a musical flaw with the Pumpkins in "Siamese Dream." Corgan's high voice flitters between murmuring and wailing. Backing him up are James Iha's layered, whirling guitar riffs and Jimmy Chamberlain's controlled, fast drumming. Acoustic guitar also gets to shine at the start of "Disarm." What sounds like church bells is even used.

Fiercely adventurious, brooding and expressive, "Siamese Dream" is a breathtaking ride into a majestic rock world all its own. Inventive and enticing, this is a modern classic.

http://www.amazon.com/Siamese-Dream-Smashing-Pumpkins/product-reviews/B000000WJZ

I've listened to lots of music, and "Superunknown" doubtlessly stands as arguably the bands best album I have ever heard. Visionary, perfectly executed and technically impeccable, Soundgarden set the standard for dark hard rock with this one.

Wait, now I'm confused.... Have you listened to lots of music or had Wheelchair Assassin listened to lots of music in 2001?

Amazon Customer Review by Wheelchair Assassin in 2001 said:
I've listened to lots of music, and "Superunknown" doubtlessly stands as arguably the best album I have ever heard. Visionary, perfectly executed and technically impeccable, Soundgarden set the standard for dark hard rock with this one.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Superunknown

Oh, I like. You'd think that a person on a U2 site could at least write a few lines about Achtung Baby, wouldn't you?

#1 U2 - ACHTUNG BABY (1991)

[Considering the community I am posting in, I am sure no one is surprised by my first choice]

In a word: staggering. I don't know if I've ever heard an album which can even come close to capturing the kaleidoscope of sheer emotion that floods from these twelve songs. a brave venture into unknown territory and a brilliant musical transformation for the band. The album is packed with just as much passion as previous albums, but the lyrics are much more emotionally poetic and far less political. Musically, the tracks are a wealth of intoxicating dance beats and lush guitar riffs. "The Fly" opens with guitarist The Edge's trademark reverberations cutting through the opening verse like a speedboat slicing through choppy water; on "Mysterious Ways," Bono's one-man gospel choir belts out the praises of an adored woman.

Easily U2's best, if not the best of the entire 1990's.

Amazon Customer Review from 2001 said:
In a word: staggering. I don't know if I've ever heard an album which can even come close to capturing the kaleidoscope of sheer emotion that floods from these twelve songs.

Another Amazon Reviewer said:
The album is packed with just as much passion as previous albums, but the lyrics are much more emotionally poetic and far less political. Musically, the tracks are a metropolis of intoxicating dance beats and lush guitar riffs. “The Fly” opens with guitarist The Edge’s trademark reverberations cutting through the opening verse like a speedboat slicing through choppy water; on “Mysterious Ways,” -

So if anyone else like myself was questioning the disparity between the well written reviews and the poorly written, grammatically incorrect, borderline mouth breathing everyday conversations... well, there's your answer

Back
Top Bottom