2011 Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees/Inductions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The 2011 Nominees | Rolling Stone Music

By Andy Greene
Sep 28, 2010 10:30 AM EDT

Later this morning, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will announce their 2011 ballot. Rolling Stone can confirm that it includes first-time nominees Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Donovan and Neil Diamond, plus previously nominated acts LL Cool J, J. Geils Band, Beastie Boys, Donna Summer, Chic, Dr. John, Laura Nyro, Joe Tex, Darlene Love and Chuck Willis. Artists must have released their first single in 1985 or earlier to be eligible in 2011. The top vote-getters will be announced in December, and formally inducted on March 14th 2011 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City.

See the 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction nominees

Neil Diamond and Alice Cooper have both been eligible for over fifteen years — and only Rush and KISS fans have been more outspoken about the exclusion of their favorite band. “I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be calling me,” Cooper said in 2002. “I think I'm being blackballed. But it's great to be the Pete Rose of rock and roll.” Last year the Hall of Fame inducted other the long-overlooked acts Genesis, the Stooges, the Hollies, Jimmy Cliff and ABBA.

The WAIT!

J Geils Band though? I know Tom Waits has even fewer hits than they do, but if you're only going to have three, you should be required to at least make quality records to support them.

Phanan - you forgot Rush too. Maybe cuz they're Canadian :wink:

But to leave out Yes & Rush and consider some of the other artists on the list, yes, I'd agree that's a travesty. Especially since Rush is still around.

A quick list of significant, eligible artists (and producers) who are not in the hall of fame:

Brian Eno
The Cure
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Echo & The Bunnymen
ELP
Frank Sinatra
Iggy Pop
Jethro Tull
Joy Division
Kate Bush
King Crimson
Kiss
Kraftwerk
Lou Reed
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Meat Loaf
The Moody Blues
Morrissey
New Order
Nick Cave
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Roxy Music
Rush
Scott Walker
Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Smith
Sonic Youth
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Television
Tina Turner
Todd Rundgren
XTC
Yes

That is why the Hall of Fame is a joke...

They definitely do not.

The whole thing is a joke, and most everybody knows it.

The Hall is only good these days because every couple of years Eddie Vedder makes a half-drunk and incredibly poignant induction speech.

A quick list of significant, eligible artists (and producers) who are not in the hall of fame:

Brian Eno
The Cure
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Echo & The Bunnymen
ELP
Frank Sinatra
Iggy Pop
Jethro Tull
Joy Division
Kate Bush
King Crimson
Kiss
Kraftwerk
Lou Reed
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Meat Loaf
The Moody Blues
Morrissey
New Order
Nick Cave
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Roxy Music
Rush
Scott Walker
Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Smith
Sonic Youth
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Television
Tina Turner
Todd Rundgren
XTC
Yes

You can add Joan Jett, The Replacements and The New York Dolls to that list.

[...]
Meat Loaf
N***a please.
icon34.gif

I'm not into bashing Bon Jovi. Everyone owned Slippery When Wet back in the day, and they served their purpose as a mainstream, commercially successful arena rock band. They've also made the transition to a new sound for their current audience, and continue to have a fairly successful career. I don't like them, they're not my thing, but I've gotta give them props for that.

Anyway, the only genuine factor I can see that'll get them into the HoF is longevity. They weren't unique or groundbreaking, or influential, that I can think of. Still, I'm sure there are other more questionable artists than them in there, currently.

If the criteria was "80s power pop songs that were played at my 8th grade formal," then it'd be hard to argue against Bon Jovi for the Hall.

Brian Eno
Depeche Mode
Echo & The Bunnymen
Frank Sinatra
Iggy Pop
Jethro Tull
Joy Division
Kraftwerk
Lou Reed
Morrissey
New Order
Nick Cave
Peter Gabriel
Roxy Music
Rush
Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Smiths
Sonic Youth
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Yes

:shocked:

I think the Rock Hall has finally reached the point in rock history where commercial success is just as if not more important to them than quality or influence (the latter of which becomes more difficult to gauge the more modern you get), hence Bon Jovi. Kid Rock will be inducted in like 5 years. Hell, he does a good Sweet Home Alabama.

I'm not the only one ironically arguing about Jovi for nostalgia purposes, am i?

I personally cannot think of any single (sane) acquaintance of mine that had it.

I guess you and your (sane) acquaintances win, then. But it sold 28 million records and was immensely popular back then, so someone was buying it, beside and and my (apparently insane) acquaintances. :wink:

I think the Rock Hall has finally reached the point in rock history where commercial success is just as if not more important to them than quality or influence (the latter of which becomes more difficult to gauge the more modern you get), hence Bon Jovi. Kid Rock will be inducted in like 5 years. Hell, he does a good Sweet Home Alabama.

Bon Jovi makes me roll my eyes. Kid Rock? I'll hunt down Wenner. Not even kidding.

(But if he happens to go missing, it wasn't me, I actually was kidding. For real. :shifty: )

Still, I'm sure there are other more questionable artists than them in there, currently.

Than Bon Jovi?

No.

The closest band I would point to is Van Halen, and they deserve to be in there a hell of a lot more than BJ does.

And I had friends that owned Slippery When Wet, but I sure didn't. I always thought it was crap, even compared alongside other, more talented cheese metal bands like Poison.

Than Bon Jovi?

No.

The closest band I would point to is Van Halen, and they deserve to be in there a hell of a lot more than BJ does.

And I had friends that owned Slippery When Wet, but I sure didn't. I always thought it was crap, even compared alongside other, more talented cheese metal bands like Poison.

I think saying Poison is more talented than BJ is stretching it, but at least the members of Poison seemed to realize they are just a cheesy hair metal band, unlike JBJ, who thinks he's the second coming of Bruce Springsteen and whines about not being taken seriously.

i have a female friend. everyone thinks i should "have a crack". but she has proudly stuck ticket stubs from Nickleback and Bon Jovi on her bedroom door.

sinatra is not a rock act, nor was he obviosuly influnced by it. Cause you know, he was around BEFORE rock music. lol. however, i'm not opposed to something being thier that mentions him.. He is actuly kinda the first pop star, kinda almost the prelude to a bigger then life rock star. So if they gave him a mention somehow, it would make sense. A full on induction? no. I mean neil diamond, for all his easy listening soundscapes, still draws on 1950's rock . He just sees it alot different the the rolling stones saw it. Frank is from another world thats so far away it makes 1969 look like last week.

Brian Eno
The Cure
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Echo & The Bunnymen
ELP
Frank Sinatra
Iggy Pop
Jethro Tull
Joy Division
Kate Bush
King Crimson
Kiss
Kraftwerk
Lou Reed
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Meat Loaf
The Moody Blues
Morrissey
New Order
Nick Cave
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Roxy Music
Rush
Scott Walker
Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Smith
Sonic Youth
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Television
Tina Turner
Todd Rundgren
XTC
Yes

Many of these belong, many of these don't...

The Hall of Fame ideally is about influence and commercial success.

So some of these are ruled out, they either have one or the other but not both.

Than Bon Jovi?

No.

Oh, I know you're a Poison fan, Laz. Even I never went down that path.

This pretty much sums it up, though:

I think saying Poison is more talented than BJ is stretching it, but at least the members of Poison seemed to realize they are just a cheesy hair metal band, unlike JBJ, who thinks he's the second coming of Bruce Springsteen and whines about not being taken seriously.

sinatra is not a rock act, nor was he obviosuly influnced by it. Cause you know, he was around BEFORE rock music. lol. however, i'm not opposed to something being thier that mentions him..

I would normally agree with you but considering the inclusion of jazz, rap and other non-rock genres I think popular music artists in general should be considered based on what is being put in.

Many of these belong, many of these don't...

The Hall of Fame ideally is about influence and commercial success.

So some of these are ruled out, they either have one or the other but not both.

I threw the list together quickly based on who someone could make an argument for and certainly I would not put in many of those artists. It was mainly a snapshot of who and what types of artists are being left out.

To your second point, I agree about influence but why should commerical success be considered so heavily? There are examples in so many different artistic, athletic and scientific fields where a person was not a success but had a major effect or only gained fame long after their work. Music is no different. Also, where must the artist be commerically successful? Many artists are huge in certain countries but rarely known in others. Take Kraftwerk for example. They are not widely known by the mainstream music fan in the United States but they were popular elsewhere. It could be argued that they are one of the top ten, maybe top five, most influential artists of the last 40 years. Should their lack of commerical success trump that level of influence?

Also, while Sinatra may not have been influenced by his, his influence on every vocalist to follow him can not be stressed enough. Anyone who tried to be "cool" while performing certainly owes something to him, as well as his ability to inhabit the songs he recorded.

Most importantly, he did a duet with Boner. That's like an automatic IN.

thier are jazz acts in the rock and roll hall of fame? i mean, pure 100% jazz acts? totaly not rock or has music that reflects the influence of rock in it?

Back
Top Bottom