2011 Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees/Inductions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To your second point, I agree about influence but why should commerical success be considered so heavily? There are examples in so many different artistic, athletic and scientific fields where a person was not a success but had a major effect or only gained fame long after their work. Music is no different. Also, where must the artist be commerically successful? Many artists are huge in certain countries but rarely known in others. Take Kraftwerk for example. They are not widely known by the mainstream music fan in the United States but they were popular elsewhere. It could be argued that they are one of the top ten, maybe top five, most influential artists of the last 40 years. Should their lack of commerical success trump that level of influence?

Sports and science can be "measured" to a certain degree. You can't measure music, but you can try and gauge it's impact and one of the ways is how many people were interested in their music, i.e. commercial success. It's not a perfect science, but it needs to be considered.

Nickelback have tons of commercial success but I think maybe 2 bands might list them as an influence 10 years from now, so they should never be considered. And on the other hand Scott Walker may have influenced musicians but how many households can list three songs of his? If an artist sings in the forest and no one is around, did they really exist?

Commercial success shouldn't matter to the listener, but if you're creating a Hall of Fame then it should be considered. I think the balance matters in that realm.

What really bugs me about Bon Jovi getting in is there are tons of hard rock bands with a "poppy" sound that blow them out of the water and have been around way longer who aren't in. If the hall thinks it needs to honor that kind of music, why not Boston or Journey? They may be cheesey, but at least its good, tasty cheese, not the rancid kind.

^:yes: i can't name more than two or three songs for many of these power/poppy/hairmetal/etc bands, but Don't Stop Believing is better than any Bon Jovi song i've ever heard. More Than a Feeling too.

We've gone down this road before, but I feel secure in saying that as songwriters and musicians, Journey runs circles around Bon Jovi. And while Steve Perry is an easy target, the man had one hell of a voice.

Aside from some very innovative guitar work and a handful of good songs, Boston is pretty weak.

A quick list of significant, eligible artists (and producers) who are not in the hall of fame:

Brian Eno
The Cure
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
Echo & The Bunnymen
ELP
Frank Sinatra
Iggy Pop
Jethro Tull
Joy Division
Kate Bush
King Crimson
Kiss
Kraftwerk
Lou Reed
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Meat Loaf
The Moody Blues
Morrissey
New Order
Nick Cave
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Roxy Music
Rush
Scott Walker
Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Smith
Sonic Youth
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Television
Tina Turner
Todd Rundgren
XTC
Yes

That is why the Hall of Fame is a joke...

FIVE of those names already have RRHOF statues on their mantlepiece.

I'm not into bashing Bon Jovi. Everyone owned Slippery When Wet back in the day, and they served their purpose as a mainstream, commercially successful arena rock band. They've also made the transition to a new sound for their current audience, and continue to have a fairly successful career. I don't like them, they're not my thing, but I've gotta give them props for that.

Anyway, the only genuine factor I can see that'll get them into the HoF is longevity. They weren't unique or groundbreaking, or influential, that I can think of. Still, I'm sure there are other more questionable artists than them in there, currently.

:up:

add Duran Duran to the Hall of Fame and I am a happy camper!

Final word on the nominees:

Alice Cooper Band
Neil Diamond
Dr. John
Darlene Love
Tom Waits

Ahmet Ertegun Award Recipients (for non performers):

Jac Holzman
Art Rupe

Award for Musical Excellence Award (Previously known as the sidemen category):

Leon Russell

:hyper: Eeeeeeeeeee!! Great batch. The Alice Cooper Band made zero bad records, Dr. John is a ton of fun, and Tom fucking Waits.

I know that many of their albums are not the greatest things in the world, but it's also ridiculous that Hall & Oates are not in the Hall of Fame considering the number of incredible singles they've released.

Final word on the nominees:

Alice Cooper Band
Neil Diamond
Dr. John
Darlene Love
Tom Waits

Ahmet Ertegun Award Recipients (for non performers):

Jac Holzman
Art Rupe

Award for Musical Excellence Award (Previously known as the sidemen category):

Leon Russell

:hyper: Eeeeeeeeeee!! Great batch. The Alice Cooper Band made zero bad records, Dr. John is a ton of fun, and Tom fucking Waits.

I respect all these artists, but I have to say... this will probably be the most boring night performance wise in a long while.

Back
Top Bottom