2011 Grammy Awards Viewing Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
next year the show will open with Bieber, the Glee wheel chair kid, Chiss Brown, and insert name here, doing a tribute to a recuperating Bono

Are you serious dude?

Arcade Fire is an indie rock band by genre. And used to be a true indie band. I never, ever, ever said that anyone is going to stop listening to Arcade Fire. Nor did I say they weren't huge.

I simply made an indie joke, of course which you didn't get. Lighten up.

tumblr_lgl6haVTVu1qztglu.png

beiber didn't win anything! Proof the academy hasn't completely lost their heads up their arses.

Are you serious dude?

Arcade Fire is an indie rock band by genre. And used to be a true indie band. I never, ever, ever said that anyone is going to stop listening to Arcade Fire. Nor did I say they weren't huge.

They're still independent. They're with Merge Records and have been from the start.

Holy shit.

I guess I'll have to watch the end of the repeat showing.

This is def the coolest win since Outkast in terms of NARAS embracing something you wouldn't think was lame enough to get the votes required.

It's crazy that AF succeeded where Radiohead and The White Stripes failed.

I imagine Lady Gaga will win big somewhere down the line but I'm glad her ego was kept in check for at least one more year. Madonna was never even nominated for AOTY until Ray of Light which is fucking ridiculous, especially when Cyndi Lauper's She's So Unusual got a nod. In fact I think Madonna didn't win a single Grammy until 1999.

Also, an interesting tidbit: In 1999, all five AOTY nominees were female (or at least female-fronted):

Lauryn Hill (winner)
Madonna
Shania Twain
Garbage
Sheryl Crow

Also, an interesting tidbit: In 1999, all five AOTY nominees were female (or at least female-fronted):

Lauryn Hill (winner)
Madonna
Shania Twain
Garbage
Sheryl Crow

Dang, was Garbage's Version 2.0 the album nominated? I totally love that album. Was that 1999? That seems too late.

Lauryn Hill (winner)
Madonna
Shania Twain
Garbage
Sheryl Crow

Interesting. Seems 99 was an interesting year for popular music as well as popular film.

Dang, was Garbage's Version 2.0 the album nominated? I totally love that album. Was that 1999? That seems too late.

I actually have that Madonna and Garbage album in my iPod and the records from Lauryn Hill and Sheryl Crow were at least listenable which can't be said for 80% of the recent Album of the Year nominees.

Probably the first time one of my favorite pieces of media in a given year (not sure I'd say The Suburbs is my #1 favorite album of the year anymore, but it's still up there) took home the "big" award of the year.

My god, I've become so mainstream.

What in the hell happened to her?

Well she did release that double MTV Unplugged album, which is pretty phenomenal actually.

Since then? She either seems to have had a nervous breakdown or went into seclusion to avoid one.

God knows if she'll ever come out with another album. She's like the Axl Rose of R&B.

Are you serious dude?

I got the "joke." It just wasn't funny or particularly well crafted. How many times can you go to the "indie kids don't like it when their bands get popular" well? I wasn't offended as a fan of Arcade Fire. I was offended as a fan of witty observations.

Probably the first time one of my favorite pieces of media in a given year (not sure I'd say The Suburbs is my #1 favorite album of the year anymore, but it's still up there) took home the "big" award of the year.

The Departed was my favorite film in 2006, though I don't know if I'd still give it that title.

Same with HTMAAS.

I don't remember what my favorite of 2003 was, but Outkast was def near the top.

The only other time I remember it happening in film was with The English Patient, and during the Oscars I was rooting for Fargo. A subsequent second viewing of TEP made me realize I was dead wrong, and it's the only piece of media in my personal Top 10 that was a top award winner.

I am not sure what the cutoff dates for the Grammys are to say that The Suburbs was my favorite album of the time period, but I love the hell out of it, and I'm incredibly happy for their win.

Nice to see a hometown band made up of transplants from other places (as most people from Montréal seem to be) win.

One of my friends plays basketball with Win every summer at the local court, band members get pierogies close by in my neighbourhood, stuff like that. They just seem like a genuine group of everyday people who have been blessed with the power to write some great songs. Very weird and very awesome to see them at the Grammys accepting the biggest award of the night.

Nice to see a hometown band made up of transplants from other places (as most people from Montréal seem to be) win.

One of my friends plays basketball with Win every summer at the local court, band members get pierogies close by in my neighbourhood, stuff like that. They just seem like a genuine group of everyday people who have been blessed with the power to write some great songs. Very weird and very awesome to see them at the Grammys accepting the biggest award of the night.
Watch out for Win stealing your friend's basketball.

Back
Top Bottom