zion.....abraham.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DustoftheStars

Babyface
ok, what i'm wondering if "all u daughters of zion, all u abraham's sons" is referring to the jews and palestinians? i'm not all that familiar with biblical history, but i was wondering about this in context with the rest of the album

He is probably referring to Jews and Muslims when he said "Abraham's sons", because Jews believe that Isaac was Abraham's rightful heir, and Muslims believe Ishmael was.

ok, thank u! so both would be under abraham. what about zion? is that god, or the name of the region? i've heard of 'zionists', so i'm not sure where that came from

sure is good to have some knowlegeable people around this board, i learn something new every time i check in :)

DustoftheStars said:
ok, thank u! so both would be under abraham. what about zion? is that god, or the name of the region? i've heard of 'zionists', so i'm not sure where that came from

sure is good to have some knowlegeable people around this board, i learn something new every time i check in :)

In the Bible, Mount Zion is the mountain of the Lord. I don't know if Zion is anything for Muslims.

*If I'm not mistaken, Zionists are Jews who want all of Israel for the Jews.

*=I may be mistaken.

Zionists - Zionism is a political movement among Jews, although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews, which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland. Fonded by Theodor Herzl.

Zion - Zion is an archaic term that originally referred to a section of Jerusalem, which, by Biblical definition, is the City of David. Zion is now used to symbolize Jerusalem and the Promised Land of God to come, in which God dwells among his chosen people.

ok, so it looks like the daughters of zion and all the abraham's sons are all refering to the jews or isreal? ok.....when i heard the song, it sounded like the two were opposite sides that he was speaking to, as if he (bono) were an intermediary......

I would say that "daughters of Zion" seems to refer to the Jews specifically (although I guess if you refer to Zion as a geographical location only, it could apply also to Palestinians, but usually the term Zion is in reference to Jews) while "Abraham's sons" would refer to both Jews and Palestinians, as both Ishamel and Isaac were sons of Abraham.

Back
Top Bottom