Where The Streets Have No name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earl-Of-IMDb

War Child
I was just listening to the Slane Castle dvd and it came time for this song. I was having a bad, challenging week, i could say month, and it came the song and I began to feel a thing i have not felt in a long time and it is: joy.

and suddenly I felt hope, love. negative vibes going away as i was listening to the song and by the end of the song it just left me 'happy' i was having a better time.

has anyone been through something like this and which song? it's a shame that not a lot of people frequent this 'goal is soul' boards where we can have more disscussions on this matters, it could make nice talks.

I remember watching this dvd for the first time when I was babysitting, and I nearly fell off the couch when this song came on. At the end of All I want is You, Bono seems to be free form worshipping and is still going when Streets starts.

I had been in a pretty bad space for a few months and after watching that dvd and that sequence in particular things changed for me (I also became a huge U2 fan right then). I am sure that the Holy Spirit is present during that song.

Streets is an amazing song, it always works for me, especially if I'm having a really rough time, whenever I feel I would start shouting in rage or I would sink under the pressure, I play the song and I feel as if was letting my feelings leave...I don't know... to the space, and, out of a sudden, I feel happy again. If I'm home alone or in my car back from work, I sing along with Bono and I feel an almost physical relief (but remember, I will always deny doing it before anybody outside this forum).
Streets may be the most spectacular at this, but there are some other songs I experience similar feelings like Beautiful Day, Mysterious Ways, Elevation and Vertigo.
Different songs can change my mood in different ways, I used to start crying when listening to One the time I was splitting up from my boyfriend, and well there could be many examples of this kind, I have always thought it is due to the way you relate your own feelings to those expressed in the songs.
I remember a National Geographic documental about human behaviour (I can't recall the title), in one of the chapters they were analysing human feelings such as love, rage, etc. and then they made an experiment with music showing how music can shift your feelings or can make them more intense, they explained it by the frequency of the notes, the general rythm and intonation?, I mean the musical phrase going up or down, but there wasn't any particular scheme about which note does what, etc. so what I really learned is that it is a universal phenomenon and that music brings magic to your life somehow, not sure it is the Holy Spirit or simply the writers' spirits shown there.

great post,

that is what us christians believe that the spirit of God covers everything and all that we are.

there are other songs like 'Walk On' that i get the same feeling, a good one, 'Stuck in a Moment' is another one that makes me stronger in hard times.

With Or Without You is also awesome to listen to when you are having a tough time

"Mercy" is very moving to me. There's something powerful about it that's not immediately obvious. It's one of those U2 songs where it seems like God really did walk through the room!

Streets during the Boston Elevation when he snippets 40...
You can feel the Holy Spirit in your living room....major goosebump moment! At least I did/can. It's amazing. He was praying during that beautiful transition too...it's a famous u2 moment. I am sure you guys know it. :)

This has helped me so much over the last couple of days and more so today. I just lost my brother this past Wednesday and I had so many U2 songs I wish I could have used at his service but my Mom wanted traditional music and Amazing Grace (which was beautiful) and some other songs that I wouldn't have dared try to overrule.
One of my sister's made a statement that she wish he had known the Lord before he passed away, and I told her he was one of the most loving spirits and loved and respected the outdoors and knes how much he believe. He didn't have to believe the way or attend the same religion/church to be in touch with his higher power, but he was so in touch with nature and the way things grew and pospered and He and I didn't believe we had to be defined by any certain religion. Ours was personal and profound. We knew what it was and it's very strong for us.
Family and relatives are going home today, I am listening to what helps me and Streets is one of them. I've also been listneing to October and ATYCLB because my brother loved Tomorrow, I threw a Brick and Stuck in a Moment, When I look at the world, Kite and Walk On. I have so many more that are helping me through this. It makes me happy it helps me grieve and I know I'll be able to get through it.. and quite frankly he's here with me and that gives me strength beyond description.
Sorry - I know this was long. But it's helped.
Thanks..

:hug: sue4u2. I hope that you are able to draw strength from the music and from your family. I think that Streets in particular has a very powerful message of hope amidst pain and uncertainty.

Sue4u2, I'm so sorry about your brother, hope you can find comfort in your spirituality, both of you will be in my thoughts. :hug:

40 and Grace also do an excellent work with me when things get really serious.

Sue, I am so sorry to hear about your brother--I can't imagine losing my brother! "Streets", "Stuck in a Moment", and "Walk On" were great comforts to my siblings and me when we lost our mother in July 2001. My sister swandiver and I saw the U2 show at Notre Dame on October 10, 2001, less than a month after 9/11, and not long after Bono lost his dad and we lost our Mom. That show was an entire religious experience for us--and I think for a lot of people who were there.

Please find comfort in the words, and the thought that we are all sending comfort and hugs to you. :hug: And hug those kitties, too!

Sue, I am so sorry to hear about your brother--I can't imagine losing my brother! "Streets", "Stuck in a Moment", and "Walk On" were great comforts to my siblings and me when we lost our mother in July 2001. My sister swandiver and I saw the U2 show at Notre Dame on October 10, 2001, less than a month after 9/11, and not long after Bono lost his dad and we lost our Mom. That show was an entire religious experience for us--and I think for a lot of people who were there.

:hug: And hug those kitties, too!

Thanks MsPurrl. All this is helping me so much.
Funny you should say that, about the kittens. Just last night I had dozed off of the sofa and woke up and the 2 kittens were just looking at me. Lovey has been right next to me everynight and seriously can't stop hugging me. She wraps her arms/paws around me and stays right next to me when I am sleeping or sitting (and sometimes crying). Like right now, she's hugging my foot. Other times I catch her just sitting and looking at me. (and its not just because she's hungry) :wink:
When we went to the newspaper, we also listed my brother as being survived by his 2cat's Punkin and Blackie. He loved those cats, and they loved him.
Anyway, I know this should be in the cat lovers thread, but it just came tumbling out. mysterious way's and all that. Thanks. :hug:

I seriously think our cats know when something is wrong, and try to comfort us as best they can, by staying near us, whether we are sick or sad or grieving. In their own little kitty ways, they are part of The Plan, and take care of us.

Sue :hug:

I hope you find some strength and comfort in U2's music and Bono's words.

And I can totally understand that cat thing, I've had similar experiences with cats. They are highly sensitive and tender beeings and if you're sad and need comfort, they totally sense that. I think cats have a natural sense for human emotions.

Streets was the opening song played at my dads memorial service. He loved it in the way to him, it symbolised heaven, a place that was a comforting thought during his cancer battle.
So that song has extra special meaning to me, and I do believe it to be very spiritual.

Well I'm new here and Streets has been really helping a lot lately as well as some other U2 songs, my Daddy is ill with his heart, and it feels like everything is caving in on us, our house falling apart, me having to drop out of school ( I'm a college student) and lose my job because of all this and taking the stand to take care of him, well the rest of the family points their finger at me and blames me for everything that has happened to my Daddy, this is not the first time he has become ill with his heart but the docs did say there is nothing they can't do his heart is to weak etc, all I can say it's in Gods hands.:sad: That's a just a brief description on what is going on. My Daddy has raised me all by himself since I was toddler, it's hard for me to see him this, and to top it off the family here thinks I should go live with my Mom, who I never been with in my life, because to them I failed in taking care of my Daddy :(

The other day I was very upset and I began to pray, something I don't do as much as I should, and streets happened to come on my computer, and during the prayer I said God please take me to the streets with no name at that moment I was at peace my eyes were closed and I was in a whole different world, away from the sadness and anger I was feeling etc, it was like God brought me somewhere I didn't know so I knew he was listening.

Life is very hard right now for me, and my Dad. But songs like Street is really helping hold on to God, and have faith.

Back
Top Bottom