What does Adam believe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChildofGrace

Babyface
Hi All! I hope everything is well. I was wondering what exactly Adam believes. I know he isn't a "believer" like the other members, but what does this mean? Does he believe in Jesus at all? God? Is he agnostic? An atheist? Not being a "believer" is pretty vague in my mind. I can't find any clear answers, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

When asked if all of them were believers, Bono said yes, and that Adam is the most "spiritually centered" of them all.

In my opinion, Adam seems a lot happier than he used to be. He seems to have changed for the better based on interviews, concerts, and other places I've seen him. Just watch his behavior on stage on the Boston DVD (just standing there looking blank) compared with the Chicago DVD (actually moving around, grinning at the cameras, and playing with Bono).

Of course this makes perfect sense. Anyone whose life is balanced and who is centered will show it and look and be happier, healthier and it will show. Adam is a very dapper and classy individual. I have the utmost respect for him.

Rachel D. said:
When asked if all of them were believers, Bono said yes, and that Adam is the most "spiritually centered" of them all.

That sounds right, I believe being spiritually centered has nothing to do with being a "believer" or with any religion. I think ultimately it's all about being at peace with yourself and with being honest with yourself, having a healthy balance in your life- which Adam seems to have done. Conquering your "demons", whatever path you take in order to do that.

I've heard he's a believer, he just doesn't wear is faith on his sleeve like the others. He keeps it more private.
He does seem like a new man. He's the coolest.

MrsSpringsteen said:

That sounds right, I believe being spiritually centered has nothing to do with being a "believer" or with any religion. I think ultimately it's all about being at peace with yourself and with being honest with yourself, having a healthy balance in your life- which Adam seems to have done. Conquering your "demons", whatever path you take in order to do that.

Bono said that Adam is a believer. That's the part that pretty much answers the question. And since Bono calls himself a believer when asked, I take that to mean that he and Adam believe the same thing. :shrug:

My sense is that he's outside the loop of religious intensity the other guys are in. However, I hear he enjoys chocolate and tea, which can be a mighty spiritual experience in itself!

I think Adam is very spiritually centered, but not necessarily a Christian...have a pal who knows a bit about Buddhism who says he's shown signs of being into Buddhism...

Pop Artist said:
...have a pal who knows a bit about Buddhism who says he's shown signs of being into Buddhism...

The trance-like state while playing, and eternal smiling are dead giveaways. Plus the loose-fitting, almost pyjama-type stage clothes...that's like totally Buddhist.

The trance-like state while playing, and eternal smiling are dead giveaways. Plus the loose-fitting, almost pyjama-type stage clothes...that's like totally Buddhist.

Adam's had the way about him for awhile though. I think sobriety brought it out a lot more. I've been watching some concert videos and on stage, he seemed the happiest. Watch clips from Red Rocks if you can find them, that's one happy fella! *Youtube is great for this stuff!*

When asked about their interpretations of what 'All Because of You' could be about:

"All Because of You"
The Edge re-finds the Riff

Clayton: "It could be about God, it could be about your father or your friends. Or the audience."

The Edge: "Life would be so much simpler if you didn't know what you knew. I think it's about that, in a way."--Blender magazine.

I'm a Christian myself, and I'm always wearing loose-fitting clothes, not as nice as Adam's but definitely dress like that...even before getting into U2. I'm all about comfort over what's fashionably 'in.'
There's nothing quite like a comfy pair of cargo pants.
Buddhists don't believe in God though, at least that's what I learned in my religious studies course in college,.

Edge has more of the Zen thing going on, but that's just my .02

"Clayton, who alone has not announced formally for Christianity, says simply that for journalists 'religion was an easy angle, a hook to hang a story on. We all believe in much the same things but don't express ourselves in the same way.' This, along with Clayton's inborn rebellious instincts and up-tempo temperament, caused some intramural tension that has only lately been resolved. 'I was in the wilderness for a few years, so there was a natural antagonism within the band that people picked up on. Now the spirituality contained within the band is equal to all the members.'" Time "Rock's Hottest Ticket"

From Until...World pg. 480
"Do you think that you, Larry, and Edge are still on the same wavelength in your beliefs?" 'What about Adam?' Bono says quickly. 'Adam's the same. I mean, nobody is exactly the same, but Adam's a believer."

"Adam's a believer", coming from Bono, is the closest you get to an answer, unless Adam openly says other wise. For the most part, it's a term specifically relating to Christians. Other religions don't use the term for those who are part of that particular faith. I don't know of any other religions who use that term to its adherents but I could be mistaken.

thrillme said:

I'm a Christian myself, and I'm always wearing loose-fitting clothes, not as nice as Adam's but definitely dress like that...even before getting into U2. I'm all about comfort over what's fashionably 'in.'

I'm not a clothing expert, but Adam's floral collarless shirts look distinctly Asian (possibly Thai), so that could be a clue.

I remember hearing a radio interview, I think in New York, before ATYCLB was released and Bono, Larry and Edge were in the studio and Adam had to phone in because he was in India, I think, along the River Ganges where he was there for some religious/spiritual ceremony that occurs once a year where the people wash themselves in the river. And Bono saying that Adam was very "zen buddhist" these days and then it was cute, I remember Bono said, "Ahhh, our Adam. He's always had a bad case of the wanderlust. Moreso than the rest of us." This last comment just struck me as funny coming from Bono, who is notorious for just wandering off! hehehehe

I don't know if that's any help. Personally, I could totally see Adam being into Eastern religion.

Either way, really it's private for Adam and who he chooses to share his beliefs with. I admit it's interesting and fun for fans to discuss, but really none of our business.

Last edited:
thrillme said:

Adam's had the way about him for awhile though. I think sobriety brought it out a lot more. I've been watching some concert videos and on stage, he seemed the happiest. Watch clips from Red Rocks if you can find them, that's one happy fella! *Youtube is great for this stuff!*

When asked about their interpretations of what 'All Because of You' could be about:

"All Because of You"
The Edge re-finds the Riff

Clayton: "It could be about God, it could be about your father or your friends. Or the audience."

The Edge: "Life would be so much simpler if you didn't know what you knew. I think it's about that, in a way."--Blender magazine.

There's nothing quite like a comfy pair of cargo pants.
Buddhists don't believe in God though, at least that's what I learned in my religious studies course in college,.

Edge has more of the Zen thing going on, but that's just my .02

"Clayton, who alone has not announced formally for Christianity, says simply that for journalists 'religion was an easy angle, a hook to hang a story on. We all believe in much the same things but don't express ourselves in the same way.' This, along with Clayton's inborn rebellious instincts and up-tempo temperament, caused some intramural tension that has only lately been resolved. 'I was in the wilderness for a few years, so there was a natural antagonism within the band that people picked up on. Now the spirituality contained within the band is equal to all the members.'" Time "Rock's Hottest Ticket"

From Until...World pg. 480
"Do you think that you, Larry, and Edge are still on the same wavelength in your beliefs?" 'What about Adam?' Bono says quickly. 'Adam's the same. I mean, nobody is exactly the same, but Adam's a believer."

"Adam's a believer", coming from Bono, is the closest you get to an answer, unless Adam openly says other wise. For the most part, it's a term specifically relating to Christians. Other religions don't use the term for those who are part of that particular faith. I don't know of any other religions who use that term to its adherents but I could be mistaken.

Great post.

Isn't this just saying that we're saying he isn't a believer because of what he wears? How thick.

By the way, I'm a christian too.

I think he is now, simply because Bono stated he is in "Bono: In Conversation" and in "U2 by U2" he talked about how "for a long time Adam had to walk such a seperate path because he was an individual in a band of God-botherers" He talked about how hard it was for Adam to go through a lot of horrible things to get to the place of "wisdom", but he's there now. This is paraphrased a bit, but it's on one of the last couple pages. Also, if you look even at his demeanor now he looks different, he has this joy that Bono, Edge, and Larry (yes, Larry) seem to have had. It's hard to explain, but as Bono says; as a Believer he has joy no one can take away, and that seems to characterized Adam now too.

Atomic Bomb Interview

I remember an interview when Atomic Bomb was released. Adam was quoted as saying he was looking forward to playing "Yahweh" in concert. Thought that was pretty neat.

I just checked online for a bit of "Bono: In Conversation" as well because I don't own it yet :sad: If anyone has it, and a scanner and could scan page 64 that would be great. Anyway, on this page, Bono is asked if Adam is a Believer now, and he said "Yes, Adam was on a path that took him further into the world, but right now I would say he's the most spiritually centered person in the band." Assayas then asks something along the lines of "because of his rough path?" and Bono said "Yes, he's the most watchful of sheep that stray out of the herd." He then talks about how brilliant it was for Jesus to refer to mankind as sheep and gives an explanation why. In "U2 by U2" he says something similar but uses "assembled gathering" as opposed to mankind

Last edited:
I wish Adam - and Larry and Edge, too - would talk more about their faith the way Bono does. I know they do a little bit in U2 by U2, but it's just a little. There's no question about what Bono believes, but then again Bono likes to talk a lot more than the others do. ;)

To be perfectly honest I think its kinda silly to decide what someone's religion is based on what they wear or how they act on stage. Bass players don't usually dance around the stage or take the center of attention. They are busy keeping the song going. It doesn't really matter to me what he believes, he is a good bass player.

Rachel D. said:
There's no question about what Bono believes, but then again Bono likes to talk a lot more than the others do. ;)

Thank you! Sorry this is not about Adam, but it drives me crazy that some people will refuse to think Bono is a believer. I mean how many times does he have to explain himself?

drdre12 said:

Thank you! Sorry this is not about Adam, but it drives me crazy that some people will refuse to think Bono is a believer. I mean how many times does he have to explain himself?

They'll believe him when he starts conforming to their non-Biblical, self-righteous rules and descriptions of what a Believer is.:happy: :| Seriously, though although we can never tell what's in a person's heart it's quite clear that Bono is trying to pattern his life after Jesus, more than those judging him. He's not perfect, and CLEARLY, neither are they.:ohmy:

drdre12 said:

my guess is that while Bono "believes," he would be very, very resistant to conservative American Christian notions of what it means to be a believer, and most of his "beliefs" -- aside from believing in God -- as well as his lifestyle are quite antithetical to what the stereotype of a believer is.

Irvine511 said:

my guess is that while Bono "believes," he would be very, very resistant to conservative American Christian notions of what it means to be a believer, and most of his "beliefs" -- aside from believing in God -- as well as his lifestyle are quite antithetical to what the stereotype of a believer is.

Bingo.

Irvine511 said:

This is true. Bono's a good 'ol back-to-the-Bible Christian. He has the relationship with Christ - this is evident. It's not about anything political. It's a breath of fresh air, really.

Irvine511 said:

By the way, the same could be said for stereotypical "American Christians" compared to what the Bible teaches. We seem to ignore the parts of the Bible that speak to our tretment of the poor, for exmple. If you read and listen to what Bono says and watch what he does, you will have no doubt that he is a believer. Not only can he quote scripture, he seems to apply it to his life. He relies on Christ's sacrifice, not his own goodness, for his ticket to Heaven. He acts and speaks for those Jesus called the "least of these". What more do people expect?

Blessings to you.

gamecockvic said:

By the way, the same could be said for stereotypical "American Christians" compared to what the Bible teaches. We seem to ignore the parts of the Bible that speak to our tretment of the poor, for exmple. If you read and listen to what Bono says and watch what he does, you will have no doubt that he is a believer. Not only can he quote scripture, he seems to apply it to his life. He relies on Christ's sacrifice, not his own goodness, for his ticket to Heaven. He acts and speaks for those Jesus called the "least of these". What more do people expect?

Blessings to you.

Why do you think that "American Christians" aren't like the above?

80sU2isBest said:

Why do you think that "American Christians" aren't like the above?

my guess (and the reason i wanted to make the point about Bono) is that the loudest voices in the media -- and, to be totally honest, many based upon my own personal experience -- certainly aren't like that.

it's a stereotype, of course, as wrong as any other, and there are many self-described conservative Christians on this board who have more in common with Bono than with Dobson, and i've certainly learned that "Christian" is as complex an identity category as any other, but the political manifestation of Conservative Christianity seems far, far less concerned with the poor than with the regulation of sexuality, or with the enforced gestation of a fetus and not the post-birth life of a child, like being pro-birth and not genuinely pro-life.

but this is FYM stuff.

Back
Top Bottom