Walk On - The Spiritual Journey of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well since this is the book whose discussion prompted the creation of this forum, I think it would be appropriate to begin a thread on it.

So, let us begin.
smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing, I'd love to write a book like this. I'm only 1/2 way thru it right now but I'm very impressed with what I have read so far. Esp since he never technically interviewed the band, it's all research. You can tell he's a big fan by the way the book is written.

Isn't it amazing about all of the spiritual references? I knew there were some but I never realized HOW MANY SONGS have this 3 dimensional quality. It's really quite amazing.

I love going back and listening to the songs in a different context.

Okay, I've read some of the book, and what I have, I like it thus far. It is a very easy read.

It seems to me that the author is basically defending U2 (or 3 of its members) as Christians to other Christians. Anyone else feel this way?

My friend who has already read the entire book said she liked it in some respects but she was annoyed in others, like when the author was saying the band was lucky not to be vanquished into "the Christian Ghetto." She was offended by that. I'll have to look that over again. She also said when she read page 151, she wanted to shoot the book across the hall. LOL.
eek.gif
I am not that far yet.
wink.gif
Also, she mentioned that it's convenient how the author didn't put some of the controversial stuff in there, like the fact that neither Edge nor Larry are married to women they have kids with.... Those are just things to ponder (not saying I agree nor disagree with my friend).

A lot of it is just regurigitated stuff from other sources, so it's not really new. Just a fresh perspective. Which is all good.

What I would really like to know is what the band thinks about the book, cuz obviously they know that this unauthorized book about them is out there.

Oh yeah, my friends final criticism is that it was mainly "all about Bono."

Hehe...

tania

------------------
I can't even say the bloody word Achhhhhtung Baby"--Larry

Okay, I wanna reiterate that I wasn't trying to be all negative about the book, but bring up some interesting and valid arguments that my friend had to say.

And one last note: as a Christian myself, I like what he has to say, but not really new to me. Most of the religious/spirtual over or undertones in their lyrics have been easy for me to pick up on.

tania

------------------
I can't even say the bloody word Achhhhhtung Baby"--Larry

A book on U2 Apologetics? Stockman will usually respond to emails.

I talked to him about a year ago. Very enjoyable website too.

Must get the book.

Mark

damn...i didn't even know about this book until i read the thread. it's a shame i don't have my 10th grade research paper on disk. it's on my fried computer which is sitting in a dumpster somewhere.
mad.gif
i shoulda saved it to disk, anyway...but i wrote my research paper on U2. our mega-cool teacher said it was free topic, but if we did someone famous, it couldn't be a biography. so i chose U2 and i wrote about different subjects of their songs...i'd picked love, religion, and politics. man i wish i had that paper, cuz it had some interesting stuff i'd written on there...

------------------
kahnarinha "funky-san" taylor, royal chat nutte for both interference and U2OL, as proclaimed by sir rafaroni (the mexico city treat) :D
U2: 62%
dd: 37%

-------
proof 2001 simon is bangable:
<Rox> I bang 2001 simon every morning
<J-Tree> you think he'd get tired from being hard all the time
virtual insanity
john nude!

Well, I bought the book today and read the first chapter. I think this will be a book I really need to read. Aside from a genuine distate for the style of music U2 was playing in the 90s, the main reason I lost interest in them in that decade was because suddenly their public persona was suddenly everything they had preached against in the 80s...glitz, glamour, excess, riches, etc. I had know that Bono had said it was all an act, but it was still a shock to someone like me - a stodgy U2 traditionalist. Maybe this book will show me that my conceptions of what was going on with them were wrong. Maybe I really need this book.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Well, I bought the book today and read the first chapter. I think this will be a book I really need to read. Aside from a genuine distate for the style of music U2 was playing in the 90s, the main reason I lost interest in them in that decade was because suddenly their public persona was suddenly everything they had preached against in the 80s...glitz, glamour, excess, riches, etc. I had know that Bono had said it was all an act, but it was still a shock to someone like me - a stodgy U2 traditionalist. Maybe this book will show me that my conceptions of what was going on with them were wrong. Maybe I really need this book.

It does. I will let you read for yourself though.
smile.gif

I have just the last chapter left and just decided to read it again right away. I was so overwhelmed by it that I've read it through quicker then I should have maybe. So far it has given me a lot of answers and new angles of their lives and music. Most I've heard of already but this gave another perspective and more info.

i think the book is a little obscene.

if any artist is honest, aspects of belief and passions will surely make it's way into the art.
but i'm sure the author (of the book)is intellectualising the music, to a degree, the band never did.
what's a shame about this book, is that after reading it, i think alot of people will only hear the songs in one perspective. they will think this guy is some sort of authority. and he is not. no more than a lot of people who come to this forum.
obviously he had a little more time on his hands than most.
i guess the church business is slow lately.

Got the book on Friday... have read a little bit. So far, it reads like a grad paper, but I need to read more to clearly form any opinions whatsoever. Helps that I'm extremely interested in the subject.

Just checking in to say I've got my copy!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

Originally posted by quiv:
i think the book is a little obscene.

if any artist is honest, aspects of belief and passions will surely make it's way into the art.
but i'm sure the author (of the book)is intellectualising the music, to a degree, the band never did.
what's a shame about this book, is that after reading it, i think alot of people will only hear the songs in one perspective. they will think this guy is some sort of authority. and he is not. no more than a lot of people who come to this forum.
obviously he had a little more time on his hands than most.
i guess the church business is slow lately.

"Obscene" is a pretty strong word. I get your point that the author is an outsider, but he does admire the band and seeks to present what he feels to be an accurate picture, given his familiarity with their roots.

Which is why I think it deserves discussion.
There are two issues really: is Stockman's analysis accurate, and if it is simply one interpretation, what are others? and does the band endorse his conclusions and want this book out there. It will begin to influence how people see the band and interpret the songs. Do they want that image stated as explicitely? What do they think of the book??

I remember reading an unofficial biography about George Harrison which I thought was great, I learned a lot about his life, but learned later that he absolutely hated and I think had sued the author. Well he had included a lot of personal details, Stockman is just sticking to what is out in the public.

I don't think Stockman expected the book to be as wide-selling as it is, and maybe that is because it is filling in information that people really want to know, now that U2 has hit a chord so to speak in the religious community.

As far as intellectualizing the music, Stockman is asserting that U2 are artists, and great art and literature is always held to intellectual analysis which attempts to explain meaning.

(props to John Lennon)

Chapter 9...chapter 9...chapter 9...

Okay I know we're going bit by bit, but I just finished chapter 9 of Walk On, and it's the first chapter I've come across in the book that *really* said some very deep things to me. I found myself nodding, and saying "amen" out loud (much to the humor of my nail tech). I won't say any more about it, but if we're going chapter by chapter (or are we??) looking forward to that one...

(aside: why does Stockman spell MacPhisto "McPhisto" like he's a Mickey D's side dish?)
confused.gif

Disco

Originally posted by Discoteque:
((aside: why does Stockman spell MacPhisto "McPhisto" like he's a Mickey D's side dish?)
confused.gif

Disco

hahahahaha
He does make several errors along those lines throughout the book, with lyrics, titles, etc.
smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Sorry to be bumping this thread, but I am lurking around interference and saw this forum. I am happy that I found it and also happy to see that this book has lead to it. I read this book a few weeks ago while I was flying to CA from Atlanta. I could not put it down. Since it was my first time flying since Sept. 11th, I found this book to be very comforting to read while flying over the country and while listening to the songs that were being analyzed. It was great to read a religious perspective about the songs. Anyway, I am not very educated in the bible but I find myself learning and wanting to learn more and more daily and this book really aided my desire to want to learn more. I have been wanting to talk about this book with fans but didn't know where to go and well I think I found the place. COOL!
smile.gif

Glad to see you have an interest in the "contemplative life." U2 is great at bringing people into the light
smile.gif

I usually recommend those who are new to the Bible (and those who need to re-energize their faith) to read the book Ephesians in the New Testement. It is only a few pages, easy to read and understand, and you can see many themes that Bono's lyrics constantly touch on.

Love and Grace - that is what it is all about my friend
wink.gif

Originally posted by Thermopylae:
Glad to see you have an interest in the "contemplative life." U2 is great at bringing people into the light
smile.gif

I usually recommend those who are new to the Bible (and those who need to re-energize their faith) to read the book Ephesians in the New Testement. It is only a few pages, easy to read and understand, and you can see many themes that Bono's lyrics constantly touch on.

Love and Grace - that is what it is all about my friend
wink.gif

thanks for the reference. after my awful evening I need something posititve to read to calm me down. thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom