Walk On-Another Spiritual U2 Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cute Irish Bono

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I find this a remarkable song about holding on to love in hard times. Could this song have spiritual elements in it? God is love and love is God, right? Look here: "You're packing a suitcase for a place. None of us has been. A place that has to be believed. To be seen. You could have flown away. A singing bird. In an open cage. Who will only fly. Only fly for freedom." To me this part is a major part of the song that clearly states if you believe in your faith, all will go well with you and you'll surely go to Heaven. This song uses the word "baggage" to describe unnesscary things of the world (riches and possessions) that we hold dear to us that can keep us from God's presence. But there is a lot of hope is this song too. Look right here: "And if the darkness is to keep us apart. And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off. And if your glass heart should crack. And for a second you turn back. Oh no, be strong." God understands that darkness (pain, sorrow, sin, ugly things, etc.) keep us from Him. But He will forgive us if we don't turn back to own foolish ways and be strong. We must... walk on.

I just love this song. It seems simple at first but the more you listen to it, the more the meaning deepens to me. :)

Here are the lyrics:

And love is not the easy thing
The only baggage
That you can bring
And love is not the easy thing
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like it's a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back
Oh no, be strong

Walk on
Walk on
What you got, they can't steal it
No they can't even feel it

Walk on
Walk on
Stay safe tonight

You're packing a suitcase for a place
None of us has been
A place that has to be believed
To be seen

You could have flown away
A singing bird
In an open cage
Who will only fly
Only fly for freedom

Walk on
Walk on
What you got
They can't deny it
Can't sell it or buy it

Walk on
Walk on
Stay safe tonight

And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much

Walk on
Walk on

Home
Hard to know what it is
If you never had one

Home
I can't say where it is
But I know I'm going

Home
That's where the hurt is

And I know it aches
And your heart it breaks
And you can only take so much
Walk on

Leave it behind
You've got to leave it behind

All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break

All that you measure
All that you steal
All this you can leave behind

All that you reason
All that you care

It's only time
And I'll never fill up all my mind (??)

All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress up
And all that you scheme

All you create
All that you wreck
All that you hate

Last edited:
I Love this song so much! It has helped me through some hard times. The encouragement to Walk on... to perservere with your head up,,,, ahhh

Hey U2isthebest that is a great sig.... good ol' Tony.

Trinity3000 said:
I Love this song so much! It has helped me through some hard times. The encouragement to Walk on... to perservere with your head up,,,, ahhh

Hey U2isthebest that is a great sig.... good ol' Tony.

Thanks, I love him! Call me Brittany, btw. He and Bono have met, I know. Have you seen the video where he talks about it? There's a great book he co-authored with a pastor named Brian McLaren, that I love. It's called "Adventures In Missing The Point." I'd recommend checking it out if you ever get a chance!

Yeah I've heard through the Christian grapevine that Tony thought Bono was a really onto it guy, and the Edge as well, and that Bono and Edge are like best friends and have a deep relationship.

Sorry to derail the thread...

"Walk On" is so beautiful! :love:

Has anyone else made the connection between the opening lyrics and the "heart-in-a-suitcase" logo?

it's a wonderful song--haven't listenend to it but you helped bring about it's relevence. thanks.:wink: yeah, all my CD's are totally disarrayed and completely disorganized to the point where .....you don't even want to open that cabinet....but, yeah, I ought to match the CD's with their cases...uuugh.

Back
Top Bottom