UTEOTW - ever notice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icelady

War Child
In the chest in my attic underneath all the dust
Ok just wondering,
Does anyone hear the faint sound like someone hammering nails into wood at the very beginning of this song? I've heard that this sound was added into the mix intentionally to serve as a "crucifixion" sound. After all the song is about Judas' betrayal.

I thought it was a interesting add and wondered if anyone else heard it.

[This message has been edited by icelady (edited 01-08-2002).]

Yep, I hear it every time, and I'm sure it's intentional. The song is definitely about Judas, Bono has said so repeatedly, not to mention shouting the whole "Jesus? This is Judas!" bit before the song lately. I really think the nails knocking add a lot to the "mood" of the song.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Yep, I hear it every time, and I'm sure it's intentional. The song is definitely about Judas, Bono has said so repeatedly, not to mention shouting the whole "Jesus? This is Judas!" bit before the song lately. I really think the nails knocking add a lot to the "mood" of the song.

It totally creates the "mood" for the song. And I'm glad to find I'm not hearing things that aren't there. It was a perfect call for the song.

I'd never noticed that before...now I'm anxious to listen again and see if I can hear it...

It's amazing to me the things they put into their music...everytime I listen I discover something new....and you all help me to discover cool things like this about songs! Thanks!

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

blargh...i have tried SO hard to hear that bit, but I have never yet heard it...guess I need some better 'hi fi' equipment or something....

i've never yet heard Bono say "Achtung Baby" in The Fly either....

Originally posted by icelady:
really you mean I actually had something to contribute that was worthwhile - cool.

icelady, you contribute so much to these forums! in the short time I've been here you've inspired and motivated me with your words...and made me drool with your photos...so yes, you contribute so much here. Thanks!

------------------
Your own dream landscape

I have a hard time hearing faint sounds when I have my stereo cranked up to its maximum on that song.

But seriously, I did not know that and will listen intently for it next time today. Thanks for the tip icelady.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-08-2002).]

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
I have a hard time hearing faint sounds when I have my stereo cranked up to its maximum on that song.

But seriously, I did not know that and will listen intently for it next time today. Thanks for the tip icelady.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-08-2002).]

really you mean I actually had something to contribute that was worthwhile - cool.

It's at the very very beginning so listen to that and it goes on for a good few millisecs
wink.gif
- but I definitely hear it and now that I know I'm not the only one that's pretty cool. It's very faint though - very subtle and muted...

Icelady, what an interesting thing to notice! I listened to it on headphones, turned right up, and sure enough there was the noise. Great attention to detail, both on the part of U2 and you
biggrin.gif

------------------
Your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

-Crowded House

hmmm, I've read about this a few times now
and I feel that even if it was put in there intentionally for this reason that it is a bit far fetched

great songs with magnificent lyrics though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I would love to reply to this post. However, I am anagram challenged...little help on UTEOTW?

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

Originally posted by Lilly:
I would love to reply to this post. However, I am anagram challenged...little help on UTEOTW?

LOL, anagram challenged! I love it!

(((((Lilly))))

------------------
Your own dream landscape

*in kitchen bouncing up and down like Bono to guitar solo at beginning*

*doesn't hear it*
frown.gif

*needs headphones*

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Back
Top Bottom