Until The End of The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psalm40

Babyface
A song about Judas Iscariot and Jesus? Parts like
Last time we met was a low-lit room
We were as close together as a bride and groom
We ate the food, we drank the wine
Everybody having a good time
Except you
You were talking about the end of the world

It sounds like Bono is referring to the Last Supper right there. Does anyone agree?

I don't think there's any doubt.

It alludes to the last supper, the kiss, the taking of the money, and his suicide. Plus there are several live versions of Bono screaming out "hey Judas" at the opening of the song.

The allusions to Judas and The Last Supper in "Until The End of the World" are numerous. A reference is not only made about The Last Supper, but also to a garden and a kiss. The story Judas has him betray Christ with a kiss in a garden. After betraying Christ, Judas was struck with immediate regret. The end of the song is appropriate in its confession of "I reached out for the one I tried to destroy."

Have you seen the video for "Until The End of the World"? It is featured on my Interference From Zoo-TV video.

Excellent story-telling by Bono. :) Yes, without a doubt, the song
is about Judas, his betrayal of Christ, and the guilt he feels right before he commits suicide by hanging.

Last edited:
Yep, the others are right. Regularly before live performances, Bono has yelled out "Hey Jeeesus, this is Juuudas!"

That's definitely what it's about. I went to see "The Passion" today, and really (for the first time, actually) understood the whole story when we read it at church yesterday ... I was reminded of all these lines out of U2 songs that had to do with the Passion.

From UTEOTW:

In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
You, you were acting like it was the end of the world

And also from ISHFWILF:

You broke the bonds
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross of my shame
Oh my shame, you know I believe it.

I love the way Bono can write a Biblical reference so seamlessly into a song, as he did with these two and with so many more. It is very ... comforting, I suppose ... there's just something nice about knowing MY favourite band understand the importance of Christianity.

And don't forget When Love Comes to Town:

I was there when they crucified my Lord
I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword.
I threw the dice when they pierced his side
But I've seen love conquer the great divide.

I know this thread is kinda old, but I'm getting a little obsessed with this song. :reject:

Is this written from the perspective of Jesus to Judas, or of a conversation between the two? know it's about Judas's betrayal, and in the Elevation at Notre Dame bootleg he screams out "Judas this is Jesus" when opening the song. But the 2nd and 3rd verses are from the perspective of Judas, right?

Also, what is this referring to? Did Judas spike Jesus's wine at some point?

I took the money
I spiked your drink

neutral said:
I know this thread is kinda old, but I'm getting a little obsessed with this song. :reject:

Is this written from the perspective of Jesus to Judas, or of a conversation between the two? know it's about Judas's betrayal, and in the Elevation at Notre Dame bootleg he screams out "Judas this is Jesus" when opening the song. But the 2nd and 3rd verses are from the perspective of Judas, right?

Also, what is this referring to? Did Judas spike Jesus's wine at some point?

I've read interviews with Bono where he says it is a conversation
between Judas and Jesus. To me, it sounds more like a one-sided
conversation with just Judas talking.
Wow! Wasn't aware of the Notre Dame performance. Throws a
whole different light on the song. OH! THought of something.
"Judas this is Jesus" may be setting the plot line for what is to follow. We know now Judas and Jesus are going to be involved in this story (song).
I'm pretty sure after Bono yells and the song begins, it's all
Judas' perspective on the events.
I think Judas did spike the wine Jesus drank at Last Supper. I'm not 100% certain of this though.

Last edited:
It wasn't. I just listened to the Notre Dame bootleg again. I have
-no- idea why I accidentally switched it around when I posted that. :tsk: Oops.

Too much wine on the brain that night perhaps. :shrug:

Last edited:
I think the "spike" refers 2 dipping the bread in the same cup as Jesus....remember....read Ur Gospels.

The best place to look up Bono's biblical references would be from Eugene Peterson's The Message. Bono quotes Psalm 116 verbatim during the Boston Elevation concert.... and also Psalm 51:15 during the superbowl

Actually, that would NOT be the best place to look up lyrical/ biblical references, since The Message pre-dates most of Bono's lyrics. Try earlier versions of the Bible, along with MANY other sources.

Well, that's the version that Bono has publicly said he thinks it the most useful and been needed for a long time. It doesn't really matter to me...a Bible is a Bible is a Bible, as long as you use it it doesn't matter what translation.

starsgoblue said:
Well, that's the version that Bono has publicly said he thinks it the most useful and been needed for a long time. It doesn't really matter to me...a Bible is a Bible is a Bible, as long as you use it it doesn't matter what translation.

Judas did not spike Jesus's wine, I think when bono mentions that lyrically, he is talking about how Judas will betray him, which Jesus knows already. Just read your bible any of the 4 books of the gospel, Mathew, Mark, Luke, or John.

Also you do have a point about a Bible is a Bible, but I think it does matter what translation you use, becasue if you read the Jehovas Witnesses bible, and the catholic bible, and compare them, they are two totally diffrent bibles.WHY, becasue of man.In most cases now a days religions translate and make changes to bibles to suit there beliefs. They take out many important doctrines from the bible, and the bible has been translated so many times, from language to language, and through so many translations you lose valuable doctrines that people have no right to change or take away from the prophets words.
I personally prefer the King James Version of the BIble, it has been translated the least, and has not been changed or switched around to meet a religion needs.

Last edited:
Ok MacPhisto...I never ever said the spiking of the wine is from the Bible. Ever ever. Maybe I posted right after someone so you thought I was implying that. So I hope that's understood. :wink:

I understand what you mean about Bibles...I don't really believe JW or Book of Mormon to be considered conventially accepted Bibles-for the same reason you gave. When I speak of translations I meant things like KJV, NKJV, NIV, MSG...things like that. I'm not getting into the KJV argument, but I do think it's an excellent translation.

What's most important to me is that someone finds a Bible that is a) an trustworthy translation and b)one that they are going to read. There is so much imagery/allusions/references/simulations in U2's lyrics; some people can catch onto rather quickly (ie UTEOTW) and others are alot more subtle.

I've found myself researchng the meaning of the song more and more in last few weeks. Was this song about a conversation between Judas and Jesus in the after life? Any thoughts on when Judas was saying these words to Christ?

U2! is set to tour next year! YEAH!

The spiking of the wine is a reference to Judas dipping his bread in Jesus' cup, thus indicating he will be the one to betray him.

I still think the song has something to do with the "mid-life" crisis that Bono has said he experienced at the age of twenty-seven. Not that it isn't also about Judas, but I think a lot of Bono's lyrics work on both the personal and religious level.

Back
Top Bottom