'Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce' and The Gospel of Mathew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moshepop

The Fly
This is just another take on Vertigo's 'Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce' introductory count. In the introudctory paragraphs of The Gospel of Mathew there is genealogy that is there to establish the origins of Jesus. Starting from Abraham and finishing with Jesus himself. The genealogy is divided in three parts:
Part I from Abraham to David
Part II from David to the Deportation of Babylon
Part II from the Deportation of Babylon to Jesus
Interestingly each part consists of 14 names. We could apply this to the Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce count. Uno, Dos, Tres would be for each of the three parts of the genealogy, and Catorce would be for the amount of names in each part.
I realized about this while working on my website 'The Ethereal Connection: a synthesis of U2 and The Beatles'. You can read more about it in the 'Please Let It Dismantle in October' section.
To go to the website just use its name without the sub-title and the www's.

I'd like to believe that, but I think it's just coincidence. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Steve Lilywhite's return.

Bono talked about this issue when HTDAAB was released.

It has something to do with Lillywhite's return but this phrase has more meaning to U2 in regards to their trying to go back to their early days and their early music and to try and recapture their youthful exuberance and innocence.

Any other connotation is purely just wishful thinking.

But a nice theory. :wink:

tuwie said:
before htdaab, what was the last album lillywhite worked on with them?

He worked on Boy, October and Way (uno, dos, tres), then returned for HTDAAB (which, if you count Best Of's, is album numero catorce).

Jamila said:
Bono talked about this issue when HTDAAB was released.

It has something to do with Lillywhite's return but this phrase has more meaning to U2 in regards to their trying to go back to their early days and their early music and to try and recapture their youthful exuberance and innocence.

Any other connotation is purely just wishful thinking.

But a nice theory. :wink:

all bono said when this issue has come up is that they were drunk at the time. He hasn't said anything about it having to do with Lillywhite and that wouldn't make sense becasue this is U2's 11th album - not 14th.

The most logical theory is Exodus 3:14 since the verse is referenced on the first page of the booklet, and in the songs "All Because of You" and "Yahweh".

IF I ever met Bono, this would be my number 1 question!!!!

I thought it was a reference to some obscure band U2 liked. I'm sure I read that in an interview somewhere...

Is "uno, dos, tres, catorce!"
I'm from Venezuela I know what I'm talking about...

In an interview they asked Bono why it was 1, 2, 3, 14..:
He said that he didn't knew that "catorce" was "fourteen", he thought it was "four", and "four" in spanish is "cuatro". He said that some alcohol was involved.

At the beginning of the song, U2 lead singer Bono counts off in Spanish uno, dos, tres, catorce!. In English, this translates to "one, two, three, fourteen!" (When asked about this oddity in an interview for Rolling Stone, Bono simply replied "there may have been alcohol involved.")

A Spanish reply of "¡Hola!" is also heard behind the "Hello, hello" of the refrain, when it should be "¡Hola, hola!" if translating properly.

As well as "¿Dónde está?" after the line "I'm at a place called Vertigo," meaning "Where is?", and it shoul be "¿Dónde estás?, meaning "Where are you?" .

There is also "¿Como estás ?'" which means "How are you?".

You can search in wikipedia.org for vertigo song...

Back
Top Bottom